The webpage thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diatribe, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    I thought since we have all kinds of interesting threads like the photgraphy thread or the wallpaper thread, I would open one with the intention of gathering and posting links to interesting, funny, informative, useful, gre...(you get the picture :D ) websites. There is so much stuff out there that most people don't know about that is worth sharing.
    Please post a dicription of the website too so everyone knows what they're getting into.

Here's my contribution:

(nice movie, dvd, music and game reviews that provides a meta score that is based on the reviews of major review magazines or sites in order to get a general overview whether to get/see something or not)

(bypass compulsory web registration - shared directory of logins based on the entries of people who have registered so others do not have to)

(A free-content encyclopedia in many languages based on the open-scource idea)

I got loads more but that's it for now.
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Okay, I'll play:
    I hope everyone knows about this one... Gotta hand it to the Brothers Chaps, they still crank this stuff out every week.
    A lot of sophomoric humor, but there's some pretty funny stuff on there, and a few good games to waste your time.
    There's always a few hilarious ones in there... but a lot of dumb ones too.
    Great for looking up acronyms!
    Internet Movie Database - if it was ever on film, it's here. Great resource!

I hope that's an eclectic enough group of sites for everyone. :) I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of them right now.
  3. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2004
    Cadillac, MI
    I totally agree there--you just can't beat Homestar Runner... it's better than half the cartoons on broadcast TV these days!
  4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    #4 Lets you create disposable web addresses that you can use for signups. It will forward all mail to your main email address for anywhere from 24hrs to 8 days. Upload up to a 1 GB file and they will temporary host it for you. Good for when you want to send someone a file that won't fit in an email attachment.

This isn't really a web site but a nice javascript that I have in my bookmarks bar. You can highlite a word and it will find the defination of it at Just make a new bookmark and paste this code into the address.
    It works best in safari. Type in a zip code and it tells you where it is in the US. Convert a .gif into ASCII art. A place to get nice photoshop tutorials.
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Movie Review Query Engine: collects/displays tons of links to any movie you may want the low-down on. Simple to use & no pop-ups or other crap...