The week I spent with my Vista PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tech607, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Tech607 macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    This Mac user took it upon himself to give Microsoft’s Vista OS a try. I bought a brand new HP Slimline s7712n Desktop with Vista Home Premium installed. Put the iMac to sleep and went to town trying to do all that I do on my Mac with my PC. I can tell you it is true ONCE YOU GO MAC YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK! It was all that I thought it would be and maybe even worse. I put together my list of 10 Vista annoyances. I hope you enjoy the list and share it with others. I know a week isn’t enough time to learn to hate everything Vista but it sure was enough time to send me running back to my iMac and apologizing for my indiscretion.

Let me know what you think.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i'm pretty sure you can scroll backwards in flip 3d. the major annoyance is that you can't see them all at once.
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    iLife seems to be a big reason for people switching to Macs, and so it should be. I reckon it has to be the best suite of software for the average users, and by far the best at its price. Hell i'd pay $120AUD for GarageBand!
  4. MrMacbookMan macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2007
    Even though you have listed quite a few annoyances when working with vista, it is really only the tip of the iceberg. It's almost impossible to make a good list, it's not even things that you can write down. It's just everything about it. And I think you got it right on with the integration thing, Windows doesn't know how to integrate anything. And all the features they tried stealing from Tiger, very poorly integrated and not even close to being as good. Oh well, maybe in another 7 years they'll come out with a halfway decent operating system, until then, I think I'll stick with my mac! :D
  5. Tech607 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    Flip 3D does go in reverse, but it still SUCKS!

6. ivnj macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2006
    The main problems is that there is no dierct hardware access for sound. It's all emulated.

And networking requires something special to be installed on the other computers that are not vista like XP or 2000.

7. crazyiez macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2007
    heh my only problem with vista is that areo is such a resource hog so i turned it off and low and behold it transformed to windows XP. its still eating my resources... its probably all the junk sony preloads these things with... i still havent killed them all yet.
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    So you bought a whole ned PC just to try Vista, why not just install it on the iMac
  9. dopey220 macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    Interesting. I was thinking about upgrading my PC significantly so I can run Vista on it, but I probably won't bother now. Instead, I'll just upgrade it a little save my money and continue running XP/Ubuntu on it.
  10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Yeah, that kinda was a waste. I was thinking of installing vista for games, but I'd rather go for XP because of support.
  11. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice job on the write up. :) Mine would be the inconsistent UI. I remember reading this article that spoke about the menu latency, how is it now?
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    A bit of a reflection piece- but Vista is just so crap. As much as I love trying new OS's (any brand), there is nothing pulling me to Vista. All this "Wow" b****cks is so over the top.

Gah! i don't even know what I don't like about it. I suppose it really is the whole thing in general.

Roll on Vienna and Leopard.
  13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    My dad had to buy a new computer for his nurse, and I told him to buy a Mac Mini because she already had a display, keyboard, and mouse, and it would stop his IT guys coming in and charging him $1000 to get a PC networked (I'm not kidding with that price.) So, I come back from my nightclass, and he bought an HP with Vista. Why he didn't get a minimac is beyond me because I've turned him into a MacZealot as well. :)

So, today, he had a conference call with someone (I don't want to say who), and they had to download some sort of screensharing app, but something went wrong. I initally thought "Well, Vista's a new OS, I remember having some of my apps not working for a week or two after I got Tiger", but the real reason it wouldn't work was because Vista kept asking "Cancel or allow"! He ended up using my iMac. I didn't rub it in his face, though. :)
  14. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

Mar 10, 2006
    Depends on my mood
    ...Isn't that the whole point?:D
  15. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Well, he does want a MacBook, and I think he just got the HP so the head of the IT department of his medical software company would be happy.
  16. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    after a shakey start with Vista on my PC trying to upgrade (see another post of mine)

I have started from scratch made a partition for it and things are now much better. Got drivers for all my Epson kit and soundcard eventually.

Also found a site and used its info to disable about 30 useless services which really helped.

Starting to half like it if I fancy a slow day :( Actually think its search is slightly better than spotlight

It is strange some things it does like lightning other stuff is so slow you think its hung.

Its still VERY resource hungry even with using a Patriot 400X 4GB usb drive as readyboost.

User Account Control is so annoying it had to go
  17. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I just switched over to Mac a little over a year ago and it was simply because I can run Boot Camp.

I'm a gamer, but like to do my work on my Mac, so I need the best of both worlds.

I finally decided to give Vista another shot after the new Boot Camp arrived and I have to say it's not too shabby. It wasn't much of a huge upgrade from XP from just regular usage, but if you really put it to the test, the kernel has really developed and attained a lot of nice features of Unix/OSX.

Vista feels smooth, it doesn't have that edgy feel of XP. The menu navigation of Vista takes getting some used to and I feel it has gotten a bit more cluttered than I am used to.

The Aero effects are a nice tough as it makes your experience more classy. But still having to go from window to window etc still makes personal productivity (imo) better on a Mac.

I would like Leopard to upgrade its GUI to that of Aero w/o being overboard.
  18. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    Sometimes I go over to a Windows/PC site (Neowin) to experience what is going on in the 'enemy's camp'. They do have a switchers forum, in one of the three threads a guy is asking if the release of Vista could for some persons be reason enough to switch back to Windows. The responses are telling, I read through seven pages of comments and NOBODY is planning to return to Vista from OSX or a Linux distro. Microsoft has hid the wall, the great turnaround has started.
  19. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2005
    Looking for Lucy Butler
    Nice article, Tech. I must deal with the Windows world every day, and I'm not looking forward to the day when my employer's IT department releases Vista.
    July-August time frame, I'm told.
  20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    I might like to point out of course you are going to find a crap load of things wrong with Vista if you go looking for them. The problem with the apple community is most of them will use vista looking for stuff wrong with it and will not give the good stuff in it a fair chance since all they are looking for is the bad.

I am damn sure I could form a very long list of things I hate in OSX and that are complete and utter crap because I am looking for things wrong. That the problem is M$ everyone looking for things wrong with it. With Apple no one looks at the flaws (and believe me there are a lot) but only looks at the new features and good. If you are going to nit pick at m$ then nit pick at apple.
  21. ivnj macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2006
    Such as?

22. robPOD macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2006
    Vistas buggy and slow as hell (even on my brothers new c2d hp laptop). Its true once you go mac, you can never go back.
  23. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Nope, there are significantly more things wrong with Windows than there are with OS X. People point out flaws in OS X all the time...just read this forum. It's just that Windows has so many more, and bigger flaws.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I don't think it's as bad as you make out. Fonts too small in sidebar gadgets? Please :rolleyes: They're gadgets, they can be changed, the size of the font is down to the gadgets designer.

I have Vista Ultimate on a middle of the run dell business laptop (Latitude D620). It's nothing fancy, Core Duo 1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, onboard graphics. Aero and all the rest of it runs speedily. I did have a couple of blue screens, but that was caused by timerstop.sys (a hack to stop the vista activation countdown from starting ;)), but since removing that all has been well.

I don't see any problem with the start menu and the search is quick.

So enough of where I don't agree with you :p

UAC is the biggest pile of turd ever created to "secure" a computer, nonsensical annoyance. Off straight away. Where they have decided to move certain controls too doesn't make much sense either. I now have to go though far more windows just to get to manage my network connections, it's poo!

As for iMove/iDVD and Windows Movie Maker :confused:, I don't use any of them on either platform, though I dare say you're absolutely right. I don't think home movie making/editing is exactly Microsoft's bag, I'm certain Apple are better at it.

Anyway, that's all. Just think everyone needs to ease up a little on their prejudice, vista isn't as awful as people round here like to make out, it's actually quite good in many ways. You don't have to trash everything MS do around here just to be 'cool' you know.
  25. Tech607 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    I did not do it to try Vista, but I do computer upgrades and when I do I have to help people with how to use the new programs and OS.......... So i use the PC for support calls about connecting this and that and so on. I could have just used vista on a Mac but to make sure I was accurate with my diag. I wanted to use a PC for all this stuff.