The White House cabal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 25, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-wilkerson25oct25,0,7455395.story

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i see mr wilkerson shares my view regarding the usefulness of a bureaucracy.

a nice piece, that.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thank you for noticing this thread. ;)

I thought Colin Powell's chief of staff calling the administration's foreign policy decision-making apparatus a disastrous cabal was an event of the highest order of importance. Perhaps we've grown so weary of (or accustomed to) this administration's dark methods and horrifying lack of competence that this isn't a major deal, but maybe we should pause for a moment to consider what the reaction might have been had this revelation had come during any other administration.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh come on, he obviously a disgruntled former government employee, who's wife (who works in a secret government agency, but shhhhhh) put him up to writing this article.

Plus he's trying to drum up support for the inevitable book so he can get rich off of skewering 'the best president ever'.

Louis Freeh? Oh he's a straight shooter with no agenda whatsoever. I mean seriously, the guy is a former government employee.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

The article's dated today, but I could have sworn I heard about the "cabal" on meet the press on sunday. Anyway, I like the idea of a cabal, it sounds smoky and mysterious, like something out of the X Files. I'll start my own cabal someday, but the requirement for entry will be "thou must not have thine head up thine arse", which would eliminate all the people in the White House Cabal.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

/starts to chant

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I hate to disappoint anyone, but a cabal doesn't imply the burning of black candles, inverted pentagrams, or the sacrificing of goats. The writer uses the word quite appropriately -- to refer to secret inner workings undertaken by a relative few. I think the reason some people associate a cabal with the mysterious is due to the related word Kabblah, the name of an obscure and mystical branch of Judaism.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

/pouts

I guess this your way of saying I am idiot... :D

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

That's a relief, I didn't have enough black robes to go around, and Walmart says they won't come in until the weekend.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But you gotta admit, cabal has more negative connotations associated with it than say 'The White House Inner Circle'. It's a rare victory for the left in the 'framing the debate' wars. If people start talking about the 'cabal' in the White House, it implies nefarious doings.

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, I go along with that. With or without the supernatural connotations, democracies are not supposed to be run by cabals.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nah, I'm just being a bit of a prig. ;)

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you expect, Halloween is coming. :p

I know people are joking about cabals, and secret Satanic rituals and stuff. But after seeing a Skull and Bones ritual, I wouldn't doubt it if it was pretty close to that type of thing. Scary stuff. And the Christians think he's one of them. :rolleyes:

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I'll just keep chanting then :p