Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Dude, i'm not claiming anything, I provided your exact quote. Your certain kinds of people were, 'people who don't know much about computers or smartphones'.
Yeah but how is that the same or even similar to calling somebody an idiot? I have relatives and friends who are incredibly smart, well-educated people and if you put an iPhone in their hand or a Macbook Pro in their lap, they wouldn't know how to use it like the average Mac user can.

Assuming a jailbreak is available (untethered), it's generally a button click or two to JB an IPhone, a pretty simple process.
Sure, but unlocking the bootloader and rooting is available far more quickly to end users than the untethered JB. When my brother got his Galaxy S3 soon after it came out, he had it running Cyanogen in a matter of minutes out of the box. Meanwhile, waiting for JB on this iPhone 5 is going to be fairly arduous.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Are you really going to claim I said that? Honestly? Dramatic much?

All I've ever said is that iPhone is only for certain kinds of people.

Let's be honest here. It's not that Android is more complicated to use, it's that Android simply has more you can do with it for those who want to do more with their phone.

More to do = more complicated. Pretty standard rule there. I know a thing about computers and phones, most people who know me personally can vouch for that I think. It still doesn't mean I want to go flipping through pages of settings to turn on something I probably will never use. It also doesn't mean I want to install mounds of apps or a custom rom that "does more", and then worry about whether they're infested with something. Believe it or not, some people do just want simplicity. Despite them knowing what they're doing. Dealing with a phone isn't always supposed to be "work".

P.S. and yes, you did say that. You seem to have a short memory with what you post.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
The biggest thing I miss going from iOS to Android is seamless syncing of music and videos.
Syncing is inferior to dragging and dropping. Nuff said.

----------

More to do = more complicated.
Android does not give you more to do than the iPhone. It gives you the potential to do more. You can keep an Android phone as is and just use the Play store, just like you would the iPhone. Doing more is just an option.

P.S. and yes, you did say that. You seem to have a short memory with what you post.
I said that people who choose iOS are idiots? Really?

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Syncing is inferior to dragging and dropping. Nuff said.

----------

Android does not give you more to do than the iPhone. It gives you the potential to do more. You can keep an Android phone as is and just use the Play store, just like you would the iPhone. Doing more is just an option.

I said that people who choose iOS are idiots? Really?

Does drag and drop automatically add songs to your connected device right after burning them to your computer?

If you keep an Android and do exactly that, it's better to just get an iPhone then. You'll have a lot less hassle to deal with. That's the case with me anyway. And I'm pretty sure that's why the iPhone is popular with the casual audience.

That was supposed to say "meant", not "said". My apologies.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Fast forward now i own a galaxy nexus but there has something that has been bugging me about android. It seems that i always had to root and flash rom to get the phone to my liking.

To this day i have flashed many roms to my nexus and i have yet to find one that i like 100%. To be honest I was never really an iPhone fan but with the new iPhone 5 i think its time that i jump ship. I love the design of the phone, from what i've seen it looks to run super smooth(maybe a bit smoother than my nexus running jelly bean) and maybe it's what i've been searching for in a smartphone.

I was in this boat a year ago, after owning a Droid for 18 months. I now own a 4S. I liken choosing a phone / ecosystem to being a car enthusiast. Some people like to buy Civics and Integras so they can completely dismantle the car and rebuild it how they want. Others buy an Audi or BMW and MAYBE tweak it here and there.

There are pros and cons to each; the tuner crowd gets to build exactly what they want, but at the expense of reliability (building a car in your garage is not the same as an engineer in a lab). The Audi crowd gets a nearly perfect car out of the box, but customization can be prohibitively expensive... so they're kind of "stuck" with what they have.

Personally, I started in the Civic (actually VW) camp. Now I'm moving towards the Audi camp, because I'd rather buy the right car for me, right out of the box. I might change wheels or suspension or little pieces here and there, but otherwise I like the car as-is. I don't have time for the Civic, "replace all the things!" mentality any more. I need my car to do what it was built to do, not sit broken in the garage. And frankly, I shouldn't HAVE to modify the car because it's too slow, or too ugly, or whatever.

</randomcarmetaphor>

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iOS' simplicity is precisely what limits it. Its "simplicity" is, ironically, what makes it less usable.

Having to input your lock screen code each and every single time to get access to your phone is ridiculous, yet, it'd be unwise to do without it entirely. So simple, so black and white... so limiting.

Whereas on Android, you can toggle the lock screen on and off. 'On' for when you go out and obviously want the security. 'Off' for when you're at home and don't need the security to gain immediate access to your phone. Slightly more complicated (not really), but the flexibility makes the device so much more usable.

This is probably the best example, in my eyes.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
iOS' simplicity is precisely what limits it. Its "simplicity" is, ironically, what makes it less usable.

Having to input your lock screen code each and every single time to get access to your phone is ridiculous, yet, it'd be unwise to do without it entirely. So simple, so black and white... so limiting.

Whereas on Android, you can toggle the lock screen on and off. 'On' for when you go out and obviously want the security. 'Off' for when you're at home and don't need the security to gain immediate access to your phone. Slightly more complicated (not really), but the flexibility makes the device so much more usable.

This is probably the best example, in my eyes.

For what it's worth, you can set a time period for the phone to relock (on iOS). Mine unlocks on the first entry of the password, and doesn't relock again for five minutes. Not perfect, but it doesn't mean I have to enter my code in EVERY time I pick the phone up.

What happens if you forget to re-enable the lock screen security when you leave, and someone steals your phone?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For what it's worth, you can set a time period for the phone to relock (on iOS). Mine unlocks on the first entry of the password, and doesn't relock again for five minutes. Not perfect, but it doesn't mean I have to enter my code in EVERY time I pick the phone up.

What happens if you forget to re-enable the lock screen security when you leave, and someone steals your phone?

Yeah, I used that feature too when I had the 4S, but there will be more times you'll have to enter the passcode than happen to have to use your phone again under 5 minutes.

Valid question. It's not an issue for me. When I go to work, I have to put my phone to vibrate anyway, and it's just part of my daily routine. Vibrate and lock. People are glued to their phones most of the time. You'd catch if you forgot to lock your screen outside of home. (I could also just as easily ask "what if someone stole your phone within five minutes of putting it to sleep?")

But again, this is flexibility versus simplicity. Nuance versus black & white.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like the openness of Android an the power that can give apps. Apps like tasker or doubletwist you'll never see on iOS unless its native from apple.

I like iOS for its simplicity, I know what the OS is capable of so I don't even need to bother looking. Plus there is just something I like about an iPhone that I can't describe. I just enjoy seeing it sitting on my counter at home, weird huh?

My current devices of choice are a 4S and Android tablet.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Another problem i have with android is that there is always a newer and better phone around the corner. Like with motorola they just announced the razr m and hd a couple weeks ago. But now they've just announced the razr i(an intel powered razr m but not available in the usa as of now). Its good in a way that they are constantly putting out new products but not good for us consumers that may not be certain on when to buy due to that fear of "what if i do buy this phone and next couple months something even better".

That's something Apple has an advantage of imo. One phone every year.
But then again i guess you can see this either way.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
My point of view,

Both OS's are great. However it just takes one annoying Fanboy from either side to see someone using the rival OS and stick their nose in and say "Eurgh... why don't you use Android/iOS? It's so much better blah blah blah"

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sure, but unlocking the bootloader and rooting is available far more quickly to end users than the untethered JB. When my brother got his Galaxy S3 soon after it came out, he had it running Cyanogen in a matter of minutes out of the box. Meanwhile, waiting for JB on this iPhone 5 is going to be fairly arduous.

What are you talking about? I've been jailbreaking since the 70+ step command line days, these days jailbreaking is literally as easy as plugging the device in and clicking a single button.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Another problem i have with android is that there is always a newer and better phone around the corner. Like with motorola they just announced the razr m and hd a couple weeks ago. But now they've just announced the razr i(an intel powered razr m but not available in the usa as of now). Its good in a way that they are constantly putting out new products but not good for us consumers that may not be certain on when to buy due to that fear of "what if i do buy this phone and next couple months something even better".

That's something Apple has an advantage of imo. One phone every year.
But then again i guess you can see this either way.

Thats just a mental complex though. What if something better comes out tomorrow.....your phone isn't going to stop working. There are plenty of 3Gs and 4 users.

Plus saying that also means you are confined to a single system. For example those geek bench benchmarks are rating the s3 better then the iPhone 5. So in this single (meaningless) example there is something out that is already better.....that doesn't mean I have to run out and buy it.

I can understand if you want the latest and greatest. But to be worried that you won't have the best for very long? That's an issue....

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Does drag and drop automatically add songs to your connected device right after burning them to your computer?

I solved this problem by enabling Google Music on my account and uploading all of my music to that when my PC is on.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how-to-use-google-music-from-anywhere-yes-outside-of-the-unit/

I used the main guide on Engadget but there are (what seems to be) easier solutions in the comments.

I will add I do have completely unlimited internet access on my line with Three UK so data usage of streaming my music is not a problem at all and I get to access everything on my desktop PC's, Android devices, iOS devices and my Chromebook. Most effortless music Access I've used (alongside iTunes Match on my iPhone).

Worth a try if it would fit your needs!

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Thats just a mental complex though. What if something better comes out tomorrow.....your phone isn't going to stop working. There are plenty of 3Gs and 4 users.

Plus saying that also means you are confined to a single system. For example those geek bench benchmarks are rating the s3 better then the iPhone 5. So in this single (meaningless) example there is something out that is already better.....that doesn't mean I have to run out and buy it.

I can understand if you want the latest and greatest. But to be worried that you won't have the best for very long? That's an issue....

Its not me who's worried about having the best at all times, but this happened with people who bought the Motorola Bionic. Only a couple months after the Bionic was released, Motorola announced the Droid Razr which pissed off a bunch of people.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

Some of it is related to fear of being locked into a contract with an "old" phone. In my wife's case, she picked up a Droid 3 from Verizon last year. Within six months, the Droid 4 was out. She was then looking at another 18 months with a phone that isn't even "current" anymore. Last I heard, the Droid 5 may be rolling out? People just want to get some mileage out of their upgrade, and being "behind" for 3/4 of that contract just sucks.

There is definitely some comfort with knowing that Apple is going to release one phone a year, and your phone is guaranteed to be up-to-date (OS-wise) for the entire length of your carrier contract. That guarantee is not there with Android phones... I believe my wife's D3 is stuck on Gingerbread and my Droid never made it past Froyo (with a year left on my contract).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you want updates, go Nexus. The Nexus really nullifies the argument.

One phone a year with guaranteed updates. Sounds familiar, no?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Some of it is related to fear of being locked into a contract with an "old" phone. In my wife's case, she picked up a Droid 3 from Verizon last year. Within six months, the Droid 4 was out. She was then looking at another 18 months with a phone that isn't even "current" anymore. Last I heard, the Droid 5 may be rolling out? People just want to get some mileage out of their upgrade, and being "behind" for 3/4 of that contract just sucks.

There is definitely some comfort with knowing that Apple is going to release one phone a year, and your phone is guaranteed to be up-to-date (OS-wise) for the entire length of your carrier contract. That guarantee is not there with Android phones... I believe my wife's D3 is stuck on Gingerbread and my Droid never made it past Froyo (with a year left on my contract).

Curious which Droid (Motorola line?) you have that's not on the latest gingerbread?

My OG droid 1 is on gingerbread. Never use it anymore though.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The biggest thing I miss going from iOS to Android is seamless syncing of music and videos.

Let me mince no words. Android syncing is an afterthought at best. I use iSyncr, which is one of the best solutions for making an Android phone sync with iTunes. It's slow and clunky. And of course there's no iCloud.

I like a lot of things about my Galaxy S3, but syncing is not one of them. Apple is far and away the market leader in that respect.

And if you have a problem with people owning multiple Apple products...well, keep in mind that you're posting to a site called Mac Rumors.

Android syncing - it's called copy and paste. Much faster. :)

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Wow i didn't even think of it that way. I've been flashing too many roms lol

Or you can look at it like this...

Is there a phone out there that I can connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to, and use just like a computer (d4ag and drop, add, delete folders and files, work on word docs, powerpoint, etc). One that allows me to connect to a ps3 controller and play games they were meant to be played (and on a big screen tv if you so desire). A phone that allows memory expansion and a replaceable battery. One that can wirelessly and automatically sync all your bookmarks, photos, documents, videos, music and so on between your phone, mac, pc, or tablet.

There is a phone out there that does all this, but it doesn't start with the letter i

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
"what if someone stole your phone within five minutes of putting it to sleep?")

To change or remove the code you need to input the current code first.

It's not really an annoyance to me. Fixing a no-lock to a certain wifi signal would be a sweet function though. But also not that useful in places with curious wife's.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Or you can look at it like this...

Is there a phone out there that I can connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to, and use just like a computer (d4ag and drop, add, delete folders and files, work on word docs, powerpoint, etc). One that allows me to connect to a ps3 controller and play games they were meant to be played (and on a big screen tv if you so desire). A phone that allows memory expansion and a replaceable battery. One that can wirelessly and automatically sync all your bookmarks, photos, documents, videos, music and so on between your phone, mac, pc, or tablet.

There is a phone out there that does all this, but it doesn't start with the letter i

my nexus ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.