The whole truth and nothing but the truth about eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Willy S, May 29, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

I want to know more about this computer before I order one. I read here yesterday that the eMac takes 2GB of ram but not just 1GB as Apple says. Also, PC3200 ram is said to be more stable than the PC2700.

So my question is, what ram should I buy for it if I decide to get an eMac?

I must say that I´m not please with Apple not giving us the truth about the computers they sell us. The truth about this should not cannibalize iMac sales much, so I don´t know why Apple does this.

2. carlos700 macrumors regular

3. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I live in Europe so I can´t buy from Newegg, but will try to find something similar here if I go for the eMac. :)

4. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Try Crucial.

I was wondering a similar thing. Just got a new eMac and put 2x 512 MB sticks in it, assuming it was the max - that's what both Apple and Crucial say. If you can put two gigs in I'd be interested, though I probably won't do anything about it, wot with it being a work computer :rolleyes:

5. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

BTW how do you like your eMac compared to your Mini?

6. Gary King macrumors 6502

I'm curious about this too.

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Hmm, good question.

Bit hard to compare directly, since the eMac came with Tiger and I have not upgraded my mini (the benefits, while cool, do not justify a £50 outlay right now). Several people on this forum have reported that their Mac felt snappier following an upgrade, but that may be something to do with Quartz Extreme or whatever it is called - some fancy graphics higgery-jiggery that shifts some of the hard work from the CPU to the GPU. The graphics card has to be compatible though - eMac's is, whilst the Mini's is not. Strange that Apple released the Mini in a form that could not properly render their upcoming version of OS X.

Anyway, the computers are pretty much the same in speed. I suppose the eMac is slightly faster - it has the edge on CPU, graphics and hard drive - but for general day-to-day stuff there's nothing in it. I prefer to work on the Mini because I have a nice display hooked up to it. I haven't done direct comparisons; the mini can be pretty slow while opening Photoshop files, something that I put down to the slow HD. Whilst you won't be disappointed with an eMac, I would recommend an iMac if you want an all-in-one. For me, I was a potential switcher with a nice new monitor, and I thought a Mini would be a fun try-out.

Does that answer your question?

[EDIT] Willy S., I note that you already have an iMac. Well I guess you were just being curious. might help Gary though!

8. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

No me and my wife need a second computer. We just bought the iMac and we love it and our PC is coming to the end of its life.

I don't think we would need another powerful computer like the iMac and I guess an eMac would be good enough as our second computer.... or a Mini/12" iBook with updated graphics card.