Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone see this Kickstarter to add an external graphics card to the Macbooks (or any laptop with a Thunderbolt interface)? Looks like it would fix the issues I see sometimes when using a 4k display with my Macbook Pro 13".

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Anyone see this Kickstarter to add an external graphics card to the Macbooks (or any laptop with a Thunderbolt interface)? Looks like it would fix the issues I see sometimes when using a 4k display with my Macbook Pro 13".

I just took a look, although I did not read every part of the description. It seems this is just taking the eGPU that already exist, giving it a Mac-like enclosure, and including software to make it more plug and play. That right?

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Yes. They are planning to include the NVIDIA GTX 950 or NVIDIA GTX 970 for the Pro version. They may offer the GTX 1060 for the Pro version depending on timing it looks like. My impression is the price is pretty good compared to the enclosures that already exist ($449 / $599 Pro). There will be a Thunderbolt 2 and 3 version. The negative is it will only fit half sized cards so it limits future upgrades.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Sorry, this thing will be left in the dust by the time it actually releases in February 2017. The one saving grace may be the fact that you can get it with TB2 for older laptops. For TB3, the Razer Core is available now. By the time we get to February 2017, there will more competition.

jobs.jdfournier

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I decide to build my own. I agree by February or when it actually releases there will be many options. Their price is actually exactly what building your own currently costs, but the February date is just too long when I can build it this weekend.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
I decide to build my own. I agree by February or when it actually releases there will be many options. Their price is actually exactly what building your own currently costs, but the February date is just too long when I can build it this weekend.

So I built my own and it was quite easy. Plays nicely with OS X so far after running a quick script that is freely available (automate-eGPU.sh). I went with the GTX 950 since it is affordable and I am not a heavy gamer, but just wanted to get a performance boost. Running the Heaven benchmark, I went from 4 frames per second on the High setting with the integrated Iris to 48 FPS with GTX 950. When TB3 is out along with Sierra (which supports eGPU natively) things will get interesting. The only thing the Wolfe might buy you is a nicer looking case and integrated power supply, but not worth the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.