The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction....

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Sep 9, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Anyonw familar with this text? I just want to get your opinion or view about it.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hhmmm... have you been reading up on design history or something? sure sounds like it. i haven't read nearly as many design books as i think i should have, so i don't know all that much about the quote.

but is this refering to Photoshop, and the sort of crap that people make and then they think they are good?

it's so easy for someone these days to sit down in front of a computer, press some buttons and then think they've done somthing really good. but art has to have some meaning behind it, i can't quite explain it right. it's like you can make an aesthetically pleasing image in Photoshop, but you can just tell when it's not art. not because it's ugly to look at, but the depth just isn't there.

so was all that rambling on track?:p :)

3. the future macrumors 6502a

You're talking about Walter Benjamin, right? Well, sorry, I didn't read it, but in the discussion of digital duplication, p2p filesharing and copyright matters it is one of the texts that are mentioned a lot.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well the rise of the industrial age inspired a return to the Arts-and-Crafts style of architecture in the late 19th-early20th century. Designers were appalled by the mechanical production capabilities and were worried that the craft involved in many art forms would be lost as their practitioners died off. To some extent this is true. Hand crafted works of art and design are difficult to come by, and are hugely expensive. But there are still artisans practicing old crafts and passing it down through hands-on training. It's a delicate balance. On the one hand, average people should be able to go purchase say a desk from Target for $150. Obviously this means the demand for skilled craftspersons will go down. But others will be able to afford a hand crafted custom desk.

I'd be the happiest person around if I could just make enough money to live off of by spending my days in my garage with my tools making furniture. Unfortunately, no one wants to pay me enough for my time to make it work... yet. Maybe some day. Rising to the level of craftsperson takes many, many years. Perhaps that's another reason for the decline in our 30-second sound bite society.

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Walter Benjamin’s essay considers the cultural implications of art’s reproducibility. This is a very important essay because its the basis for much of the reproduction of art to the mass today. It even raises questions about the digital. I just wanted to see who else has read this. I understand that a lot of people here are into film, photography and just art in general so i wanted to see if you all have had to read this text for any of your classes.

one question i have on it is this...

(dont mean to get political here)
    Benjamin claims that fascism aestheticizes politics (and even war)and Communism, on the other hand, makes art political.What does this mean?

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Sounds like he is saying facism concerns itself with culture and art and therefore brings art into politics to spin opinion, while Communism is more concerned with politics, and as such, uses art as a part of a political agenda.

For example of communism at work, see the movie "The Red Violin." While I don't know if Comunism is really like in this movie, the communism scene portrays Benjamin's thought.

For those that haven't seen the movie, a "comrade" is arrested in China for teaching the violin (art) because it is seen as a western form of art, and therefore not worthy or is evil. The communist party makes everything about politics and which side of the line you are standing on.

On the other hand, Facism uses art to convey a political, propagandist message. I.E., the Uncle Sam painting. :)