The work thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhpenguin, Aug 28, 2003.

1. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Who here spends their day while they should be working, posting on here? I swear i do more on here than i do work.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I actually spend more time around here than I did at my previous job...and I do much more now than before...weird...

4. rhpenguin thread starter macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Im blaming it on the fact that i use a win2k box here.... not that theres anything wrong with that.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I do occasionally when the info desk is empty or if I am on my lunch break, I'll go to the Apple Store and sometimes do a post or two from there, too. I usually skip around from the various systems so I am not standing at the same computer there for more than a few minutes. :)

6. rhpenguin thread starter macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Heh.. but im actually doing phone calls and this at the same time! I get paid to post on Macrumors.com! Thats sweet!

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

considering my work most of the year is attending school, i dont really come here during 'work hours'; sometimes i come here if i am not hungry during lunch hour.

:D

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

With the quality of food at my school, it's a wonder that anyone could be hungry during the lunch hour.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I shop at the student store which is practically a restauramt; you name a food most teenagers like they've got it :) real food too, not just junk food :D

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I usually frequent one of the many nice shops in town. St Augustine is a real tourist hotspot, so they have just about anything you could imagine and it's all very European, too. There's a really nice bakery I like. I must say, if you want to see a historical town, try St Augustine. It's not only the oldest city in the country, it's also one of the most haunted and has quite an interesting culture. Not to mention I can hook you up with all the good deals since the students there get 60% off of nearly everything in town.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, I wish evanston were that interesting...And I wish we had a better town-gown relationship; then we might get that big discount on something.

I don't know, I think they're mad because the university cut a deal so that it doesn't have to pay any taxes or utility fees. Hmm, how'd they get such a great deal? Well, maybe it's because the town was founded when the university was established, by the guys who established the university. But now the town is antagonistic toward the university and its stupid students...No gratitude.

Anyway, it can be an interesting place though. Esp. with all the homeless people.

One night, there was this drunk guy in a local restaurant. On seeing some Northwestern students, he shouted,

"1600 SAT! Four-point-O GPA! Full college scholarship! I play the sports, the sports don't play me!"

Poor drunk, homeless people. Some of them, though, esp. elderly ones, really get ya right there. But these crazy young guys, they'll get you right there too. Then they'll get your wallet and your watch and your coat and your shoes and your hair and...

Ah, well that's evanston.

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh I only get 50 minutes for lunch so i am at the mercy of gas stations, jack in the box, and a large grocery store within walking distance of school. i might bring my bike to school some day and ride during lunch; go farther during lunch break :cool:

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I do and too much btw.

I'm studing myself about that, I'm here, in vjcentral, then cnn, the another site, then check my mail and by the time I'm over everything is already updated again.

I'm spending too much time in the internet, it is not productive time, but I'm my own boss and I work from 9 am to 12 am at night, I work at my house.

If I invest the same time actually working I could be may be 15% more productive but to work in a city and in a economy like Venezuela just stress you out and I get very upset.

I droped the ball a few month ago about my economic situation, I'm making my mind to go to the US and really be 100% productive there. I know I won't be around that much any more because in the US I can make money when I work. Right now at my last contract I lost $3000, for jobs like that I rather spend my time getting use to the north american culture that will help me more rather than loosing my mind and felling frustrated for things I can not do too much about.

To be here is actually a choice that can get out of my hands if I'm not carefull.

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

At the moment I post a lot from work, cos I'm in the office a good deal, when the students get back I'll be in the studios for most of the day, so I'll post more from home.

But I still get paid to twat about a good bit:D

15. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm sitting here waiting on my 6month review.. should be any time now. I'm going to ask for a raise.. but I haven't figured out a good way to do it.. anybody?

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"I am a stunning employee and bring many unique skills to the company, I am *still* very motivated and feel I constantly deliver my very best. Now give me a freakin' pay rise bitch!" :eek: :p :D

Good luck :D

17. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

"This envelope contains photos which may be of interest to your spouse and civil authorities. How does a 20 percent raise sound?"

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You need to point you your value to the company. Listing your positive traits. Give specific examples where you have been valuable to your company. Spell out the reasons that you think you need and deserved the raise. Be positive and polite!

19. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well I was much more subtle about it than that, we went over how well I've been doing (according to the review I "Exceed expectations") and discussed short term and long term goals. I expressed that I'm very happy with what I'm doing but I've been doing a lot of the same work for about 2months now and I was really hoping for more responsibility and an opportunity to manage other types of work. He mentioned that one of the guys in the office is planning on moving to another office and they were really hoping that I would step up and take over that role.. which lead me to concerns I had about it, one of which was compensation. All in all it went well... they got me flying out to florida for two weeks next friday. We have a condo near Fort Walton Beach... I think I can muddle thru for a little longer. :)

20. rhpenguin thread starter macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

go with the photo thing... that would probably be the most apropriate. :p

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your success cr2sh. It always seems that you some basic framework prior to a meeting with the boss. Then be flexible and answer the questions and ideas that are proposed!

22. rhpenguin thread starter macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Once again, im found at work... bored as hell and posting on here...

i swear i have no life.

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

When I'm doing my HW and I have my web browser open and I see that little link on my tool bar "Mac Forums" argh...

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: The work thread

since i have two small businesses, from my home, i could post here

but as soon as one of my businesses grows and gets a workshop or office space open to the public, that will greatly cut down on my posting

but i have seen stores with the help, or the owner, totally into the email or internet and not into the customer or clients...heck, i can see someone fighting in the political war forums while tending their store while hoods make off with mdse:p

...or checking out babelicious wallpapers

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I probably spend a third of my time at work posting on the forums. Most of the rest of the time, I am interrupted from my real work by the boss.

I have the option to work at home, but I choose instead to work at the office when I can because I make more money that way--I'm on an hourly rate. :D

I've been cutting down on my wasted time at the office lately though.