The World...of Warcraft!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BaghdadBob, Jan 1, 2004.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

OK, for those of you in the cave where they don't allow gaming news, Blizzard is very close to releasing World of Warcraft, their MMORPG based on the, uh...world, of, well, Warcraft.

It looks great. Some links for the uninformed:

The WoW Main page at Blizzard
    The WoW "Town Hall" where you can see all the races and stuff...
    The Official WoW Screenshots Page
    The Kingdoms of Azeroth WoW Screenshots Page (mostly official ones, some fansite exclusives/digital pics from GenCon)
    The Warcry Page which is quite informative.
    Warcry Screenshots Page once again, if you looked at the last two there won't be much you haven't seen, but if you're really hungry, there's good stuff here too
    Warcry WoW Skills Page which I just found! This has more skills in it than I have seen anywhere else.
    Warcry Talents Page
    Spells
    There's more on warcry than last time I checked. And more than I linked to.

Finally:
    Fires of Heaven
    Yes, you EQers, FoH is going to WoW, and Furor sounds like he may never come back. He also has some killer info from a first-hand look at the Blizzard studios. Great info, and it just sounds...so....good...

Anyway, I'll be back to this thread to hopefully either join conversation that has sparked or try to start one, for now I was just posting links...becuase I'm tired of These forums which are generally populated by 13-yr-olds...at least enough to drown out intelligent conversation.

And I'm excited by the game, so i wanted somewhere to talk about it...

2. Versello macrumors regular

Re: The World...of Warcraft!

Hey I share your same enthusiasm man. I've been waiting for World of Warcraft for quite some time, but I doubt Blizzard is anywhere near close to releasing it soon. They were supposed to release a Beta in December but missed that :(

3. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Well, the Beta is close, I think. In terms of when you've been waiting for a game for a long time it's getting awfully close. If the Beta is out this month, which I sort of expect, then we can expect maybe three to four months of beta, then out before summer.

It all depends on how many exploits the testers are able to find, and how many balance issues they have to deal with. They put off the beta for a reason (considering it took them until a week ago to announce it would not be in Q4 after all ;) ) but I doubt it was enough to delay it for too much longer or they would have known some time ago.

But who knows. The bottom line is, Blizzard games are the best in the business because they don't rush anything. And the MMORPG market has such a plethora of problems to overcome, they have my permission to take their time.

Gives me some time to upgrade!!! :D

4. Versello macrumors regular

From what I've read about some guy that talked to a WoW dev @ GenCon, the game runs fine on his P3 800 w/ GeForce 3...yay!

5. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Well, I run a 400 Mhz G3 still.

I've taken to playing D2 on my girl's PC with a 1200 AMD. Much better.

But there's no way in hell I'm gonna want to wait until her computer is available (which is not often) to play a session of WoW. That would drive me absolutely insane.

It's already hard with D2, like I would probably be in the 80s or 90s with my necro at least if I could run D2 well on my mac, but instead I'm down at level 51, because I have so little opportunity to play, and when the opportunity comes, oftentimes I've been waiting so long I've lost all motivation to play.

No way. Must be able to run WoW on my machine! Which means G5 by summer, come hell or high water!!

6. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

the beta should already be here but i guess they delayed it. I heard that the beta would be released Oct-Dec of 2003... :eek:

7. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I've never ben much of an MMORPG player but this one I'm actually excited for. However, the monthly fees of MMOROPs are such a turn off :( .

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Monthly Fees == absolute crap.

Do what B.Net does... Advertisements ... not frikken Fees... :(

11. Versello macrumors regular

Blizzard advertises its own advertisements on BNET. I don't think it'd really work out well for WoW.

12. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Oh yeah, ads would pay real well for the costs of maintaining an MMORPG. Especially since it would be absolute crap to have ads in the middle of your game, so ad space wouldn't get seen all that much.

Come on, do you have any idea the costs associated with a thriving MMORPG world?

Well to compare with battle.net, think of how much your car costs to maintain. Now think of how much it costs to maintain a luxury liner. Compare.

And yes, as pointed out, it is almost entirely Blizzard's own ads that are on Battle.net. Get real.

13. AkiraK macrumors member

Nastiness aside, I share the aforementioned disdain for MMORPGs based on a monthly subscription fee, especially ones that require you to shell out $50 for the game itself in the first place. Anyone other than the most avid gamers would be hard pressed to justify spending $50 + $10-20 / mo. for any game, even one they really liked (for the mathematically challenged, that comes out to $205 for the first year, assuming the first month is free). I average 10-15 hours a week gaming, but not all on the same game, and certainly not with any sort of consistency. Maybe companies could introduce rollover minutes... :)

While in-game ads may not be a practical suggestion, it is, at least, a suggestion, one that doesn't involve shelling out more money than many spend on games in a year anyway. The logistics of hosting perpetual world servers are certainly daunting, but certainly someone could start thinking outside the box and, at the very least, come up with a way to cut the costs to something more appealing. Besides, I have yet to come across any MMORPG that has interested me enough to want to pay any sort of subscription fee, including WoW (which has certainly done more to interest me than others).

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Lol...if it wasn't quite so medival-themed, I guess they could have the ads in-game...you know, like have giant billboards and stuff every now and then. lol

15. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Yep I can wait for this game I have been on and off the wow forums for over 2 years now *hangs head in shame*

16. Versello macrumors regular

Hey, that'd be a neat concept... for maybe a game like Anarchy Online, with sprawling cities (and a killer atmosphere might I add), having billboard ads on the sides of buildings and stuff.

17. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Obviously a game isn't worth paying a subscription for if it doesn't interest you all that much, especially if you don't plan to play it more than a few hours a week. That doesn't mean it's practical to make free, it just means it isn't the game for you.

Look, they have a type of RPG where you only pay once, you get all the content the developers made and you can play it forever. It's called...an RPG. An MMORPG requires the following above and beyond the average game:

• A massive, interactive, dynamic world to create, play balance, play test, store, maintain, broadcast, and keep thousands of players (per server) accounted for within
    • A large support staff responsible for the demands of hundreds of thousands (in this case it will most likely be in seven digits very quickly) of PAYING customers -- meaning, they didn't just pay for it once, they're still paying for it, so their demands for customer service are higher
    • A team of game masters/designers continually updating the world with new quests, items, monsters, zones, etc.
    • The responsibility to continually try to make things "fair" for players who are living in a world where their in-game accomplishments can be directly compared and affected by the accomplishments of another
    • The responsibility to create a world which will have a working economy -- as in working with thousands of players, not just one -- that does not become unbalanced by twinking and the random/constant generosity of high-level characters
    • Designing, buying, building, programming, and maintaining a huge network of servers
    • The responsibility to do absolutely everything possible to prevent cheating and exploits

So, let's just understand something (most understand this, but some don't). You pay once, then you pay a subscription. They create the game once, and then have a very large dedicated team of programmers, CSRs, GMs, and game designers whose job is solely to work on that game, to tweak, expand, and maintain it, and its inhabitants. People who cost good money.

Does that sound like Battle.net? No.

Eventually, advertisement runs out of room to be profitable. Look at the .com boom. Lot's of people thought that the internet was TV and they could make money for nothing, but eventually you have to have people paying for a product to make the economy go. And even by TV standards, one viewer is not worth $10 a month.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it just seems that unless you plan on spending a LOT of hours playing, it's not worth the monthly fee. Sure, there are lots of people who will spend that much time, and for whom it will be worth it... but most people do not have the kind of time to make it worth it, especially since even if you game a lot, that's just one game.

19. Versello macrumors regular

Make that an extremely long game that you'll never forget :d

20. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Right, MMORPGs are kind of an invovling thing, if you don't plan on getting very involved, then it's really not worth the price, unless you spend money like that all the time.

It's worth it...if you plan on spending the time.

That said, it would be nice to see a scaled price range for players who plan to play very little. We'll see what Blizzard does.

21. AkiraK macrumors member

No one said it should be free, just priced accordingly. Unless you can invest significant time, the price is simply not worth it. You're either in it, or you're not...doesn't leave room for more casual gamers to get involved (nor does the current spate of MMORPGs particularly invite casual gamers).

No one has questioned the investment or understated the logistical difficulties--hosting an MMORPG is a resource intensive undertaking. But surely there must be ways of helping to alleviate costs beyond charging what many consider to be a high monthly service charge.

22. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Count me as another one of the people in the group who can't live with a monthly fee. I played Starwars Galaxies at a friend's house recently. A fun game to play, but after the original $50 I would find it incredibly hard to justify a monthly fee when I have a normal life to live and won't be sitting in the game 18 hours a day like some people do.

23. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I wouldn't take SWG as a good example of an MMORPG :D

Anyway, the investment cost of an MMORPG has been questioned, just not by everyone...but yeah, an appropriate scale would be nice. Still no way around some kind of fee for the costs mentioned...

But like I said, if it isn't worth it, it isn't worth it.

Maybe the best way would be to have the game come with 100 hours free or something. That would be longer than you'd play a Final Fantasy game the first time through, and would be more fair than a month to some gamers.

24. Versello macrumors regular

True that. WoW will prolly come with a free month, as most MMPORGS do.

On average it takes me prolly 2 weeks to complete a game. Will I ever play that game again? Heh, prolly 5 years from then.

See you in WoW :D

25. AkiraK macrumors member

I'd like to see a pay per play setup, where you can buy hours (not just a standard monthly subscription fee), or something similar. That way, I could play for days on end during the months that I have time, and not feel like I'm just giving over money during the mnths that I don't. Regardless, I'll be curious to see what Blizzard does with it. WoW is the first MMORPG that's held even the slightest interest for me.