The World's Largest Ball of Tape Is Up For Auction on Ebay

Discussion in 'Community' started by none123321, Apr 15, 2005.

1. none123321 macrumors newbie

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) April 15, 2005 -- Tuong Tieu, owner and proprietor of BallOfTape.com, has put his 60-pound ball of tape up for auction Ebay (Item number: 5572335347). The auction, which ends April 19, 2005, is for the rights to what is arguably the largest ball of its kind in existence. Constructed of 1000 rolls of invisible tape--the kind you'd expect to find in an office desktop dispenser--the tape ball weighs in at just over 60 pounds.

Every story must have a beginning, and in the fall of 1999 it all started when a 3 inch strip of tape was folded on top of itself. Within 20 minutes, a little cube of tape took shape. Seventeen rolls of sordidly gained tape later; something the size and shape of a tennis ball emerged from the tape ball foundry that was my hands. The ball then sat idle for the next 3 years before construction resumed.

The project sparked the interest of an entire office building. Now, 5 years later, we have a ball weighing 60 pounds, measuring 42 inches in diameter, with the collective souls of a thousand rolls of tape rolled into it. Five years, over a thousand dollars in material expenses, and countless hours of squandered labor have all gone into what is one of the World's Largest Ball of Tape.

Along with the infamous Ball of Tape, the winner of the Ebay auction will also receive 500 additional rolls of tape, the rights to the BallOfTape.com domain name, associative website and website traffic.

Though the ball of tape has become a part of the family, sadly, the time has come to part ways. "We've all had a lot of fun working on the ball of tape, but we just don't have the time or resources to continue working on the ball,“ says Tieu. “I just hope it goes to a happy home."

Ebay auction details
    Ends: Apr-19-05 13:22:57 PDT
    Item number: 5572335347
    URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5572335347

BallOfTape.com
    Acting as a living tribute to the World's Largest Ball of Tape, BallOfTape.com chronicles the tape ball at its various stages in life (Roll 100, Roll 200, all the way up to 1000), including detailed pictures taken along the way. The site also includes a brief summary of how the ball of tape came to be, a short video showing the tape-rolling process, and pictures of those who have painstakingly contributed to the ball.

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Reminds me of a contest we used to do in school. Only it wasn't tape, it was foil.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

WOW... thats stupid.

Guess not as dumb as the person bidding more than $400 on it though.

6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

i've seen tape balls that come near that size, but they were from hockey tape. And I'm pretty sure they didn't weigh 60 pounds.

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

That is definately the biggest waste of time and money I have ever seen, that said, I am tempted to bid. :D

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Someone please email this guy and tell him to get a job.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This is the funniest thing in that listing.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Just can't imagine that someone is bidding currently $455 for essentially unusable tape. I think that the bidders are just as much to blame as the seller. Of course P. T. Barnum said it best. ;)

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

$100 for shipping? Ouch. Meh, I'd rather put that towards a shuffle.

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Can you go to the "handsome stud's" :rolleyes: house and pick it up? Then you could roll it home. Or fire it out of a cannon, or kick it home.

So who wants to pay $100 ?!

13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

If people keep this wonderful hobby up, it will maintain the oil industry well beyond the death of cars.
    Some oil executive as to see this and think - people are willing to completely waste money, time and polycarbonates - wow!
    $455, no way! :confused: :eek: :p ;) :D :mad: :( :eek:
    It deserves all those emoticons!

14. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I am currently the high bidder. Do NOT bid snipe me.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you read the listing, you'd see that he is not offering a local pickup option. ;)

16. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

of course, hes making even MORE money through the ridiculous shipping price he quoted.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Reminds me of those small provincial towns that sometimes boast some kind of weird attraction to get you to slow down and buy some souvenirs.

World's Largest Carrot!
    Unmissable Shell Museum!

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Sorry, old /. habit

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

20. sonyrules macrumors regular

Man, Thats alot of tape... he needs a new hobbie or something, Something away from tape...