The worst 9/11 since 2001

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 11, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This year should be the most embarrassing 9/11 ever. There has been an endless barrage of 9/11 memorials in the media today. Did they do that last year, or the year before? Coincidence that it's an election year? I think not. This is the most cynical, calculated thing I've seen in a long time. I'm disgusted. Anyone else, or is it just me?

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

leave it up to the media to blow everything out of proportion.

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Seems like the same amount of coverage as usual, though I live in NY so maybe it's different here?

However don't forget it's the 5th anniversary so that might explain CNN Pipeline replaying their entire broadcast from that morning.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No, it's just as crazy in Chicago. But we usually don't see this much coverage or attention. This is exceptional.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would expect more on the 5th anniversary.

Likewise the 10th, 20th, 50th, etc.

6. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's right, we do have ten fingers and toes after all :p

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I can't say I noticed as I pretty much avoided any media or discussion on the matter on account of it being 9/11. It's not that I don't care but the more I hear/talk about it the more desensitized I become on the subject.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The coverage in the British and German media has been really heavy too. I think it has more to do with the 5th Annv. thing than politics although the politicos are milking it for all its worth.

What's the status on the memorial? It seems there's been a lot of infighting amongst the relatives of the survivors. I try to tune it out because I find the whole conflict to be extremely nauseating. Put up a memorial and get on with your lives. Anyone who builds their life around 9-11, has serious problems, IMHO.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm trying to think of which [manmade] disaster 9/11 dethroned as the worst in our history. I'm wanting to say Pearl Harbor. It would certainly be interesting to compare 5 years after 9/11 vs. 5 years after Pearl. Unfortunately, I wasn't alive in 1946 so I have no basis of comparison.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about it. We need to stop riding this culture of death train we've built for ourselves.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as in, "five years after pearl harbor the war was over"?

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well, I was aiming for something not quite so readily apparent. More like this:

1) Was the media at the time going batty with their "coverage" of 7 December 1946 like we saw today?

2) Were there grandiose tributes, bagpipe dirges, meaningless political speeches, et al?

3) Could you order commemorative worthless coins made from actual steel recovered from the USS Arizona for only $9.95?

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This evening's Presidential speech churned my stomach.

What nerve.

More lies, deception, pandering and spin from a man with the blood of nations
    on his hands.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

5 years later. I know I don't feel better. Things haven't gotten better, I dare say they've gotten worse. I just tuned it all out. Not because I don't want to remember, I'll remember, I just don't like commercialization. Nor the politicizing. I cringe every time I see that commercial advertising those commemorative coins or some politician or talking head saying "never forget" when talking about Iraq. :rolleyes: Here's an e-mail I got from Howard Dean that actually didn't make me want to puke:

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That was nothing less than an incredible commentary. Emmy material. Seriously.

Elsewhere I posted a Jon Stewart clip, which I called the best 9/11 comment I'd ever heard. Olbermann's is the best post-9/11 clip I've ever heard.

(BTW, zim's link is dynamic. Here's the permalink to Olbermann's commentary.)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for that.

17. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, over here in the UK, the BBC has done more to advance the cause of Islamic extremism than Usama Bin Laden ever has. We have literally had about two hours worth of programming every night for about a week on 9/11 - some of it valuable, most of it utterly pointless and repetitive.

Terrorism is 5% bang, 95% fear. Al-Quaeda can only assure that 5%, the BBC has been quite happy to take the reigns for the other 95%.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Where are all the programmes about Darfur? Far more than 3,000 have died there. Or the Rwandan/Ugandan genocide? Even Hiroshima gets next to no coverage when its anniversary arises.

It's horrible, but skin colour and hemisphere still determines the attention of the Western media.

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Considering that the whole incident was, if not carried out directly, was allowed to happen, by our government, I'm not the least bit surprised to see them once again using it as a political tool.

How a Government Can Control its Population 101:

Create a crisis -- > "solve" that crisis, using methods that make the people dependent on the gov't (iraq - oil - gas: no coincidence) --> create a sense of false security --> bend the rules to achieve that "security" --> convince the uneducated masses that none of this ever happened.

Lies after lies, bogus evidence left and right...to be honest, I'm surprised there is not more of a public outcry to what is happening. The only way our government could become more powerful was to remove as much as possible from the people (power is relative). They are doing it, and people are ignoring it.

Occasionally people entertain the idea that "yeah...maybe this is really going on" but wait for someone else to fix it.

If America (the people) do not wake up, this country and, to an extent, the world, is doomed.

It's not Democrat vs Republican anymore. The government is against you, the system is set up to defeat you, and the vast majority of you sit idle and allow it to happen.

9/11 does not mark the day the Twin towers came down, nor the day when so many people were lost. It is the exact date the American people gave up.

How much of the constitution needs to be destroyed before you act? Sadly, it will be too late, and by then, not a soul will have the power to change things.

When you are demanded to show your ID on the street and jailed for not doing so, will you see? (link)

Unlike what we've done for other countries in the past, we won't have someone to come save us when our government has gone too far.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Very good stuff. I'm very impressed with Olbermann.

e

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Same here. Thanks to the person who posted that link!

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is really weird, but as I watched the coverage on this Sept. 11th, I was thinking the exact same thing that Olbermann was: that no matter what was said, Lincoln had the best words for the occasion -- the ones he spoke in the Gettysburg Address.

And then for Olbermann to find a parallel between our post-9/11 world and that classic Twilight Zone episode, well...that was brilliant.