Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Okay, I figure this should go under the pictures thread, because it's picture-oriented.

I just finished a "mod guide" on swapping cases for my old G3, and figured I'd post it here before attempting to submit it to macmod.com. Enjoy! Or at least try to!

Rebuilding Kronos

Well, I couldn't carry the PowerMac G3 Tower on the plane back home to Chicago, so I decided to take out all the parts and carry them like that. That case weighs at least 20 pounds empty, even! And it's huge!

This is my homemade G3 case, made out of high-quality cardboard. I placed a foam mat under the motherboard and put it in this awesome box. I also cut small holes on top to thread the cables through from the components above.

case1.jpg
case2.jpg

This ran fine from the System CD, and didn't heat up too much, but as I plan on leaving it on all the time for folding, I will be installing a 80mm case fan up with the power supply and a 80mm fan blowing on the processor heatsink. The hard drive is supposed to be on top of the CD-ROM, there, but the one I was using recently failed on me, so I'm waiting for a replacement in the mail.

Please also notice the front Power button. It's a hole in the box where you can reach the power pins. The computer lacks a button, so it is turned on by applying a flat-head screwdriver to the pins. Yes, it's a work of art, this case.

Specs:
300Mhz G3 Processor
192MB RAM
24x CD-ROM
Floppy Drive
30GB 5400rpm HD
ATI Rage 128 Video Card (16MB)
Two-port USB PCI card

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
pknz said:
It looks like a PC

Well, on the inside we all look the same, ya know? Same goes for old Macs and PC's.

If you really don't believe me, I'll snap a shot from the inside, where the mobo has the little Apple logo on it.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
pknz said:
It looks like a PC
The port config on the back of the mobo does look a bit PC-ish mate.
Is that a 'printer port'? (EDIT: hehe scsi DB25 i suppose)

hmm
EDIT: definitely not a B&W or am i that wrong?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
mbopy22 said:
Dude are you related to MacGuiver???? :eek: :eek:

MacGyver could at least make it look a little better than that. He could probably create a nice G5-like case using an old WWII jeep.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
redeye be said:

hmm

No, not a B&W, it's a Rev B beige Powermac Tower. If it had been a B&W I woulda done whatever I could to bring that case with me, cause they're nice.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
aquajet said:
MacGyver could at least make it look a little better than that. He could probably create a nice G5-like case using an old WWII jeep.

And DUCT TAPE and some twisty ties! Duct Tape holds the world together dont you know!

Ed

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Does this count as proof?

Well, I can't open the box without taking out all the cords (and they were a big pain to get in, so it's a last resort) so I just shoved my camera in and got a pic of the processor, and then took a shot of the CD-ROM which says is Apple OEM equipment.

G3.jpg

That's a G3 processor if I ever saw one!

cdrom.jpg

The proof is in the drive! Or, on it.

Edit: Oh, and you can see the little metal sleds on the CD-ROM in the original pic, and on the floppy in the pic above. Those are used to pull drives in and out of the beige tower.

Proof enough?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
redeye be said:

hmm
How soon we forget....

SCSI DB-25. Also see the round serial ports and the ADB port... it's a Beige G3 motherboard.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
CanadaRAM said:
How soon we forget....

SCSI DB-25. Also see the round serial ports and the ADB port... it's a Beige G3 motherboard.

Thank you. Yeah, I love this old G3, and hated the thought of it collecting dust in a basement somewhere, so I just had to bring it with me, no matter the cost!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Counterfit said:
Either you're really weak, or I'm ridiculously strong. There's no way an empty Beige G3 case weighs 20lbs.

I don't know, that tower was pretty hefty. It might not have been 20 pounds, that's just an estimate, I'm pretty bad with weights, frankly. It was heavy, though!

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
livingfortoday said:
Proof enough?
yes!

I was looking for some B&W pictures while i saw this thread. A short-circuit in my brain told me this was supposed to be a B&W mobo. Some things didn't add up that way. The other 'i think that's a pc' post just confirmed my misinterpretation...
And indeed CannadaRAM, how soon we forget. I was also looking for these 'paperclip' scsi connection fixers (you know what i mean, right?). Just to long ago since i had to use scsi - that reminds me to ask my 40 Mb syquest removable disks back. And reinsert a scsi card in my B&W.

anyhow, nice mod livingfortoday (even though i wouldn't do it myself).
sorry for disbelieving :eek: ;)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
reminds me of when I had to put an Apple LC II in a shoe box to get it to work. I had the ports cut out in the cardboard, and it has a giant Adidas sign on the top, but hey it worked and was almost quieter when running than the original case :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, this runs quieter too because it doesn't have that huge 120mm fan on the power supply anymore. I did attach a blue LED fan to the front now to blow on the CPU, and a small 80mm for the power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.