The Worst Jobs in Science: The Sequel

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by palusami, Nov 22, 2004.

1. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

A quote from the #1 worst job, an @nal-wart researcher:

“I see about 15 butts a day, and a third of them have warts,” says nurse practitioner Naomi Jay of the University of California at San Francisco.

:eek:

just when you think you have it bad, there's always someone who has it worse...

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,713471,00.html

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Everyone has bad days. It just happens with any job that there will be tasks that are disliked. Some jobs are worse than others. That is why individuality us so important. What one person thinks is terrible another takes is as just routine. Even in the case of the nurse practitioner.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I saw that article. My job made the list :eek: . I am a computer help desk consultant. And it is so true how stupid some of the people you deal with are. The worst is when you know exactly what the problem is but they won't listen to you. Oh well.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for what you do. I appreciate the assistance that you provide. It seems to be frustrating for both ends of the line.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I once held one of the jobs on the list: public school science teacher. I lasted three months. Hard to teach biology in a physics lab. Especially when the students are throwing things at you.

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think everyone would agree that the worst science job would be any that involves radioactive or dangerous substances on a regular basis. Doesn't matter how much lead you're wearing, there is always the chance...

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Spoken like a person who has no concept of the many radioactive substances in his daily life.

8. cazlar macrumors 6502

I work in a lab and use various carcinogenic and radioactive substances daily. It's really not that much of an issue, you just have to keep mindful to wear the appropriate safety equipment (such as gloves) and do it in the right way (say in a radioactive hood/box).

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. I'll be dealing with radiation for the rest of my life, and I actually don't plan on living any less than a person in another profession.

And the worst job I have come across is someone in Urodynamics. His job is to deal with urine all day. While not as vile as a #2, it's still high on the list.

10. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

I've got one of the best

For about 9 months before I moved, I think I had a job they might be on the list. We were examining diseases transfered in feces of gerbils, mice, rats, and other rodents. To do this, we had to collect the feces, break them up, and blend them in a blender. Let me tell you, nude mice have some of the worst smelling poop, especially when they have diarrhea. Also, if I was infected with the disease, one of the symptoms would be explosive diarrhea (just use your imagination).

Nevertheless, it was for good cause to help create assays or tests for waterborne diseases (basically, when an infected rodent poops in a drinking water source, if not properly filtered, we could get the disease). Plus you got used to it.

11. altair macrumors regular

wahooo!!!! Part of my job is #6 It is pretty sick drilling through 80 feet of garbage to install a methane extraction well, was getting all these freaky smell combinations, plastic bacon, lysol roast beef....

Not that bad honestly :p Seems like a big jump from tampon squeezer to my job...but i guess once ya do it a few times it doesnt seem as bad.