The worst thing about the App Store: "Wasted" money

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Michael CM1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    How many of you have paid like a buck or two for some app already and then seen either something similar that's better or similar that's FREE? I've been bitten by that a couple of times.

I see this potentially happening a lot, but not as frustratingly as today. Everything is being loaded at once, and apps shouldn't deluge to the store like they are right now. But paying $1 for a "flashlight" and then seeing 2 for free. Just #&^@!!!

I really would love it if demos would be allowed, especially on the more expensive apps.
  2. macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2007
    i bought cro-mag then realized crash racing is probly way better...
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2007
    I really hope I am not reading what I think I am reading.

You are blaming the "store" because you bought something that cost more then another product that does the "same" thing?

Ever heard of product differentiation?
  4. macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2007
    i would be annoyed if i bought something that i later realized i could have gotten for free...
    i dont think he's blaming the store, but merely commenting on how annoying it can be.
  5. thread starter macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    No, I'm not blaming the store. It's just one of those things that happens, but it's easier to see when all the apps for a device are in one place.
  6. macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Jun 6, 2005
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    It should get better later on as people start filling in the reviews. Be sure to look them over. If there's a free one that's as good or better, it'll be mentioned in the reviews.
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006
    Wow, a whole dollar? I hope your family will still eat this month.
  8. macrumors member

Jun 13, 2008
    ^ I laughed in real life.
  9. macrumors 68000

Jun 10, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Well, the problem is when you buy something and it starts crashing and you can't get in touch with the author. IMO that is wasted money (and it doesn't matter how much it costs).
  10. macrumors 68020

Jun 12, 2008
    i doubt it
    cro-mag is perfection in an iPhone game.....

at least until bioshock comes out

everyone, look through ALL the free apps before making a purchase these first few weeks.....until the apps that should be free, are
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    Don't tell me you actually got this App - a blank screen with the brightness turned up.
  12. macrumors 601

Aug 29, 2006
    I'd say that a lack of way of filtering out the ebooks is more of a problem - they're listed under apps for some reason. Makes browsing apps by date (another thing that needs fixing) much harder.
  13. macrumors newbie

May 16, 2006
    No shopping cart or confirmation!

When I'm buying stuff on the iTunes store I always use the shopping cart. I like to add a bunch of stuff I'm thinking about so I can look at it and decide what I really want.

Seems that apps don't go into the shopping cart, I've accidentally bought Sketches for £4.99 cos it didn't even throw up a warning asking me if I was sure! (Before you ask, I'm 99.99% certain I didn't tick the box telling it not to warn me again)

Still, Sketches looks quite good, just need my b****y iPhone to arrive now!
  14. macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2008
  15. macrumors member

Jul 11, 2008
    i love that there are about 7 tip caluculators and bill splitters. Dear lord people are bad at math.
  16. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Or so incredibly frugal that the thought of over-tipping is unbearable.
    It's real simple, use 10% of the bill, double it and be done. Alternatively, triple it to 30% and hope for a quickie in the back room.

Sorry about the OPs buck.
  17. macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2006
    app demo movies on iTunes

The screen shots sometimes don't do enough to figure out what an app actually does. Apple should allow for developers to download a 10-15 second movie to demo the app. That would be cool, and helpful.
  18. macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2007
    Wash DC suburbs
    Right now I am only getting free applications.

As reviews and word of mouth spread, if something is worth paying for, then I will open my wallet.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    What is this "quickie" thing you speak of :D I'll have to try that some time. LOL

There are some seriously useless applications in the store. I'm picky, so I spend a lot of time contemplating decisions before I make them... including looking to see if I can find something similar for cheaper.
  20. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    that's my strategy for now as well. Ok ok - I'll come clean. I've spent $1.98 so far. But generally, I want to see what's out there and what the reviews are like before buying a lot of $10 apps.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
  22. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2007
    Western Mass.
    ha. I guess you really are that funny. I have to figure out a better way for that quickie... psst...I just totally tipped you like 30%. can I show you something in the bathroom? why do I think that wouldn't work out so well?

but yeah. I've never understood the need for tip calculators. It seems directly proportional to one's stinginess.

what does suck here in the app process though is there's no shareware/demo option. Find out if you like it then buy it. That's a huge downside for me. I'm not going to worry too much about the $1 apps, but I don't want to spend $10-20 just to try out an app. maybe the jailbreak landscape will facilitate a shareware/demo model.
  23. macrumors member

Feb 15, 2006
    Findlay, Ohio
    Eventually, the App Store is going to need a search function. It is already too difficult to search through all the offerings.

I am disappointed that I see to voice dialing program or a Tom Tom-like program (or any other program for that matter that capitalizes on the GPS capability)
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2007
    ROFL! a dollar is a dollar...not 50 bucks. however, not to be rude...but seriously you paid for that app? heres a tip that works JUST AS WELL.

step 1: wait till its dark outside.

step 2: put on your shoes, grab your iphone/ipod touch, and your keys.

step 3: open door.

step 4: randomly throw your keys out onto the lawn.

step 5: turn the brightness all the way up on your iphone/ipod touch and - behold! - a flashlight thats free...

...oh and next time...LOOK AROUND THE STORE. i wish i was a car salesman and had you as a customer. i'd have no PROBLEM selling you a lemon off the lot. just paint it real nice over the existing coat of paint, duck tape the engine together - long enough to last you the trip home. and of course - buy as is. done deal buddy boy. :D
  25. macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Exactly what I'm doing unless it's an App that I know won't have a better version coming out (i.e. At Bat).