The worst thing ever has happened... Mac OS X on an XBox...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jalexster, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004

WHY? Why would someone want to install Mac OS X on an XBox, with PearPC? ARRRRRGGHH!
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    just so they could say that they did it and did it first
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Exactly, just to prove that it can be, and has been done. You wouldn't actually want to use it, but it is pretty nifty.
  4. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    But they have insulted the name of Macintosh...
  5. zv470 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
  6. Oirectine macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think it is pretty cool :)

I just bought an Xbox a couple months ago. The last console I owned was a NES. Needless to say, I'm amazed at what this bulky black box can do. And now it can run my favorite OS, too!

Of course, how much ram is in that thing? 64 Megs, right? Yikes. I'll just stick with the Microsoft OS for now...
  7. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    Well said,

XBOX is a great gaming machine. I love my PS2, it is my favourite, but the XBOX does outdo it in many ways.

People shouldn't hate something simply because it comes from M$. Always use the best tool for the job. M$ office is the best office suite currently available. I use it. XBOX is a great gaming rig. I use it.

Will I use Billy's OS though? Nope. It is not the best tool for ANY job!

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    About That Mac

The "About This Mac" screen grab seems like it says "Processor: 007 MHz PowerPC G3."

If that's the case, it seems PearPC divides the XBox's 733MHz P3 by 100.

The screen's resolution seems like what, 600x400?

Any guesses on the actual clock reported on that screen?
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, its like driving a car that you know has a severed brake know it'll crash eventually.
  10. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    that is pretty neato. :D

but i bet they wouldn't use it long, it'd be gone like... a fart in a fan factory. :D
  11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah its probably slow, emulation and all, but you guys think this might actually be usable on the Xbox 2? That would be cool... sorta like an Apple Pippin 2... :eek:
  12. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    lol, yeah i just saw this on slashdot . . . pretty funny if you ask me. at least the guys who set it up were smart and installed OS X instead of doing something lame like installing windows! heh. . . overriding any M$ product with something mac is good if you ask me!
  13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
  14. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    I smell a weekend project comming on.... lol

Even though its going to run horribly, and i have two capable macs on my desk, i stil going to give this a shot just for the fun of it.... Give the xbox some purpose if only for a few hours till Forza Motorsports comes out..
  15. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I'm not sure I would call this the worst thing ever...
  16. bdomz macrumors member

Sep 18, 2004
    I don't have any problems with this, the Xbox is a pretty good piece of hardware, and it's not bogged down by a windows os. MS actually impressed me with this product.
  17. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Worst thing ever? How is it any worse than PearPC, which we saw released months ago? It is absolutely no different--OS X emulation on a PC, which is all XBox is: a PC in a black case. I don't really care, it still sucks and is super slow. Plus it just proves that Windows users really do envy OS X in some way.

It's just cool that it's running atop Linux.
  18. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    macos on _pearpc_ on linux to be correct ;)
  19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    GO TECH!!!

As a Georgia Tech student, its good to see that the college of computing is doing something productive with their time. Actually, I really have no clue how they spend their time, but it seems like something that they would do. Some of us actually have lives... where we sit around posting on forums all day... oh wait... :rolleyes:
  20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    The "why" of it is the same as the Linux-on-iPod project, and it's the standard cry of every programmer/techie/engineer ever: Because I Can [size=-2](TM)[/size]!!
    Ah, but consider this: have they truly insulted the Mac OS, or improved the XBox? :D :p
    What would really have been cool is if they'd had that QuickTransit emulator, and been able to do Mac OS-on QuickTransit-on Linux. That would accomplish the same feat, and be usable to boot!