The Yonah benchmarks look promising for upcoming "Mactel" ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 28, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

Yonah running at 2.16 Ghz?

Still haven't broken the 3.0 Ghz barrier even after changing chip platforms. This is ridiculous. Steve is looking like a bigger and bigger idiot with each passing month.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502a

simie

Why should Apple bother with Yonah, when Merom CPU's are only 12 months away, after all Meroms going to be 20 to 30% better.

I wonder if Yonah will be in the replacement for the iBook.

4. macrumors 6502

That's the same as asking why ANY pc manufacturer would bother with yonah? We're in x86 land where there are far more frequent upgrades than Apple customers are traditionally used to. Plus, merom is rumored to be a drop-in replacement for yonah, and its TDP is lower so it's not like Apple is going to have to design a new chassis. Count on yonah powerbooks for january.

5. macrumors 68000

mklos

I think Apple (Steve) was referring to the desktop CPU's not mobile CPU's when they made the 3 GHz statement. PowerMacs will debut at over 3 GHz. The problem with the G5 for laptops is that they created way too much heat and used too much power, so it would never work in a mobile environment. Check your facts and quotes before you call people idiots!!! Obviously, Apple was going no where with Motorola (freescale), and IBM, so switching to Intel was probably the best thing Apple could possibly do.

Remember that Steve is the person that took Apple from hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to Billions in the bank. He only created the most popular MP3 player in the world and made Apple, the #3 computer reseller in the world... But yeah, Steve's an idiot and has no idea what he's doing!!!

6. macrumors P6

Peace

How will Powermacs debut at over 3 Ghz?

7. macrumors 68000

mklos

They will be using a new Dual Core 3+ GHz Processor that hasn't even come out yet. If they wanted to, they could use the current line up of Pentium 4 processors, which run up to 3.8 GHz, which I highly doubt they'll do.

8. Retired

jefhatfield

looking at macworld*, other mac mags, articles in magazines, newspapers and the like, one can easily see that steve jobs is certainly one who has seen ups and downs more dramatic than most

i could list tons of things i love about apple since sj came back (imacs, ibook, garage band, osx, tibook, and especially ipod) but there are certainly missteps that have been made but it's hardly the fault of one man...apple did lose their lead in education to dell, laptops went from a 17% percent share (in late 1999-early 2000) to 3% where it is now, desktops near 10% (with introduction of blueberry imac) to 2%, the cube and dalmation/flower power macs were not hits, apple kept a relationship with motorola too long before going to ibm, jobs fired a senior vp who banked on search engines and this strange idea of an internet boom (only to have jobs do a backtrack on that one), jobs said apple would never do business with intel and that pentiums were slow, etc

being a techician, computer teacher/tutor, and network engineer in the IT industry and a mac lover is hard at times, and i always get attacked by fellow techies and fellow mba's on why i think apple is so great

apple inc does not always make the best or most profitable business moves and many outside the mac community know this about apple, but at the same time a company obsessed with profits and market share (like microsoft and dell) do not give us, the end user, a product anywhere near what apple can offer us...many a techie and mba, while criticizing steve jobs (like the press loves to do) have macs at home

i am glad that apple focuses on quality and not raw profit

btw...pc laptop in closet, pc desktop in garage...same aged macs still working and at my service :)

*Note: i subscribe to macworld, pc world, and pc magazine, and macworld is far more critical of steve jobs and apple on small mistakes and products that are not perfectly up to the apple standard...while the pc magazines rate those same non perfect macs fairly high and five stars to a great mac above great pc products from alien, sony, and lenovo/ibm

9. Retired

jefhatfield

i know a ton of mac purists who are very angry at the perceived betrayal going to intel

but i think i wouldn't be too focused on clock speed but i would focus on battery times...if intel can deliver, some hard core intel haters in the mac fold will eventually warm up to steve's decision to go "mac-tel" ;)

10. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Steve Jobs likes his bulls**t, it's how he shovels it that's so interesting. :p

I have faith in him, '06 is going to be interesting. :D

11. Retired

jefhatfield

steve jobs is like two people, all time bullsh**er, who is stupid enough to believe it, and high tech genius and innovator...it's basically which persona he decides to put on in the morning

he's a lot like donald trump, who is like a baseball player batting in a lot of runs for a stretch, then following it with getting struck out at the most crucial times and losing the series, followed by another good run bringing his team from last place to playoff contention the very next year...and it makes things very interesting

in the five+ years i have been on macrumors, i think sj had an all time low in popularity right before the ipod...things were lagging in design and processor improvements, ram offerings, price drops etc...and then this little music thingy you could put in your pocket saw apple lead a category in high tech not seen in a way, at apple, since the apple IIe

the ipod is so great that even sj can't overstate it's greatness :)

12. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Dude you are dense. Its a dual core system for a LAPTOP. Of course its not going to run at 3Ghz or if it did it would burn a hole into the center of the Earth. Actually it wouldn't because it's battery life would be all of 20 minutes. If you bothered to even look into what Yonah's current benchmarks are showing us at 2.0Ghz you would see that its keeping up with dual core AMD DESKTOP chips. God I thought only PC users fell for the whole Mhz myth. Read up on what you are responding too\about before you make yourself look like a fool.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
    :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

They will bother with Yonah because Yonah kickes the snot out of the G4 which is the point of an upgrade. Apple can't afford to wait another 8 months for Merom to show up. The nanosecond they release an x86 iBook PowerBook sales, if there is any at this pont, will tank. The only people buying PowerBooks right now are the ignorant (Of what Apple is about to release), the desperate (They need a new system NOW.), or the PPC fanboi (PPC forever!!!)

14. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Jeeeezzzz. Chill out!

15. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Wait. Just wait. The first dual core Yonah's that are benchmarked are going to make Mac user shut up with this anti-intel crap. This is why the first x86 systems can't come soon enough. I'm hoping to see the bitching on MR decrease by a good 60%. I hope.

16. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its hard to when this crap has been going on for 6 months now. Even though facts to the contrary show that what is about to be released is going to be huge for the Mac platform all we get is people shooting their mouths off with FUD. Every day. Day after day after day. The people who need to chill are the ones bitching about Intel. Apple knows what its doing. Heck I'm not a fanboi and even I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt.

17. Retired

jefhatfield

i was a techie for five years and i thought i knew about processors and the science behind it, then i entered a phd program in computer engineering at the university of california (too hard ;) ) but discovered most of what we all say here, even among those in the industry, about processors is more akin to a marketing ad for "such and such" processor instead of real science/fact ;)

but i totally agree with you that our mactel with an intel chip should shut up the anti intel stuff i see on this site and other mac sites by 60%...speed? i have enough for me...i just hate being at borders doing homework and have my battery run out on me and have to scramble for the two plugs they have in their coffee bar!! and everybody here in our slow town, middle aged like me on down, now bring in their laptops to do homework/research for some class since the surfing, live music, social events generally sucks here in rural northern california most of the time ;) (that's another thread)

18. macrumors 603

solvs

It's Dudette... I think.

And at this point I can't tell if Lacero is being sarcastic, or pissed that the PowerBooks are slow. Must be a Canadian thing. I'm sure the Yonahs or whatever will be fine. But then, at this point I'm so jaded that I'm easily placated. :p

19. Retired

jefhatfield

20. macrumors G4

Heh, its funny looking at the dynamics now, people are more clear about my gender at the moment than Lacreo's. I suppose its time to pass the torch...

21. macrumors 6502a

simie

I just hope that Apple will build them for performance every-time and not just for profit and hope that they never put a Celeron cpu in the ibook replacement.

22. Retired

jefhatfield

i do know what you look like...i saw you on tv briefly :)

23. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Lacero is actually a very intelligent clownfish with a computer and internet access. "She" has the ability to change sex. When "she" feels like it "she" becomes "he" and vice versa. Or maybe "she" is a pregnant seahorse who is actually male and is in some doubt about which sex she(he) actually is.

It doesn't matter of course. :p He can be whoever she wants to be!

(I'm only joking!)

24. macrumors 603

Stella

ROTFL.

Excellent post ( you must be joking, judging from your previous posts this must be humoUr ).

Yonah, considering its a mobile processor gives the recent desktop AMD processors a run for its performance - ref: the anatech article thats been referenced 1,000 times.

25. Retired

jefhatfield

so he/she plays this dual personality over the internet? as some say, edesignuk/lacero?