thefacebook.com

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Apr 29, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Have they opened this thing for any of your universities? NU just got it, and boy, it's creepy, addictive, evil, just plain wrong, and wonderful all in one package. It's basically an online facebook with profiles and friends lists. You can search for people based on a number of criteria or look through your friends' friends list for second degree connections.

It's very useful, I must say. There's this one cute girl whom some thought had taken an interest in me. However, I wasn't sure whether she had a boyfriend or not. Looking at her profile, I was able to glean that she did NOT, which leaves me open to make my move. So I'm going to ask her out today.

Knowledge is power, my friends. Knowledge is power.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

kinda sorta...except that it's structured around individual universities and therefore is a little less stalking-like.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so you got a link for that ? :D

This would have been very cool to have when I was in school.....

D

5. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Wow, Mr. D, that's some laziness there. :D

Ok, here you go:

thefacebook

Unfortunately, to snoop around, you have to be able to register with a legit e-mail address from one of the serviced schools. But you can get the low down on this at the site.

Yeah, it can be useful. What's really interesting is the visualization of your "friends" network. It takes your group of friends and shows all of the interconnections between them. It gives you an interesting perspective on the structure of the various circles that encompass your group of friends.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    didn't u start the my teen angst thread hehehe girls are the devil stay away

7. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, girls ARE the devil. Damn.

8. MacManDan macrumors 6502

MIT was one of the first ones to have it. It spread like wildfire across the campus .. and it's interesting, at the very least. I still have mixed feelings about it, but I have re-connected with some old high school friends that I have lost through distance. It at least doesn't have the negative stigma of friendster, either ...

9. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah. Stigmas have a way of not forming when large portions of a campus, for whatever reason, sign up to a service and are open about it. What would interest me is to see who the earliest adopters were at the various schools and what their (real) social networks are like. The stature of those who adopt the service first must be important to the further adoption of the service.

10. MacManDan macrumors 6502

I couldn't say who adopted it first, but everyone I know posts on the facebook just as a way for people to find them and as a central hub to find their friend's information (which, of course, doesn't replace a good address book .. but handy nonetheless) - we generally don't go mucking around looking for new friends and such. Lots of random people (from MIT and other schools) add me to their friends list though, so I don't think what my friends do is any indication of what actually goes on ......

11. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, my experience is that people only add others who are already their friends, which brings into question the utility of the whole service.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

sorry to bring up an old thread :)

I just found thefacebook about a week ago, it's the coolest! Definitely a good place for spending time instead of doing homework :rolleyes: Does anyone else use the "visualize your friends" part? I can't seem to get it to work correctly in Safari or Firefox.

13. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think you need that plug-in...I'm not sure if it works for Safari, it's been a while since I've tried it. You might need to switch to IE :eek: to try it out.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    NEVER SWITCH TO IE

unless u need it for online banking my damn bank doesnt support safari !!!

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I did install that plugin thing, and I tried it in IE too :eek:, but to no avail. This is what I'm getting:

Attached Files:

16. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's working! It's just that there are commands to navigate around and change the magnification.

Command-click: Zoom in
    Option-drag: Move around
    Control-click: menu for zooming in/out, etc.

Oh, for kicks, I attached my network...It's somewhat interesting.

Attached Files:

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Awesome! Thanks, somehow I figured there were controls I just wasn't figuring out... Here's mine, it's small so far!

Attached Files:

18. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No problem! I had some trouble with it at the beginning, too. As you add friends, that rendering seems like it becomes a pretty processor-intensive task. Yours is still at the level where it is intellectually useful and interesting to examine the various interconnections. It will continue to become more interesting until a certain point. Then, once you have a network as large, extensive, and frankly, in-bred ;) (meant in the least sexual way possible) as mine, it becomes less useful conceptually and more useful for a :hey, look at this gi-normous blob: effect. :p