Theif!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by carbonmotion, Jan 29, 2004.

1. carbonmotion, Jan 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-carbonmotion

Assuming he's stealing it with a wire, unhook his wire, and plug it into an electrical outlet.

And listen for the yell.

3. gbojim macrumors 6502

Assuming he's using Windows, hack his system.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    send the cops on him :D

but i dont know if there is a way to mess with his computer, theres a lot of things you need to know about his setup before u can mess with his head

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

"I" before "E" except after "C"
    Unless it makes "A" as in NEIGHBOR or WEIGH.

Sorry couldn't resist.

If you have a PC, check out AirSnare. Saw it on Techtv. You can send messages to the neighbor kid assuming he is on a PC as well and really mess with him.

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

Messages like "The FBI is currently monitoring this line and has determined your activity felonous in nature. Please cease this connection and dispose of your computer." are pretty funny... :D

6. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Now THAT would be awesome! Try it out!

7. bensisko macrumors 6502a

Lessen Signal Strength?

Don't most wireless routers come with the ability to lessen the signal strength (i.e. make the bubble smaller)?

As for messing with him, you could flip the network on and off if you know he's surfing...

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If he is using windows why dont you send him some email with the doom virus?

9. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

11. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Find a remote control software that doesn't need a server applet on his (EMCO make a great one but is only for PCs)

Then get onto his computer while he's using and start doing stuff like tapping a key when he's entering passwords, hitting Esc a lot, open notepad and type the message suggested above.

:D

12. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

What about the word "weird".

Weird, huh?;)

I second the AirSnare motion!

13. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Haha. Something tells me you're not new to this:D

14. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

ditto on the doom virus idea. but you should do that FBI thing, and then if he/she doesn't stop, then do the doomvirus.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Too bad you can't divert every page request from his MAC Address to the Barney website.

Or worse yet, make it random -- about one in every 20 page requests.

Releasing a virus will get you in trouble, releasing Barney will drive someone insane.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

17. Richter macrumors member

isnt there software to secure your wi-fi connection?

18. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

He can just create a password easily enough, but wants to teach this kid (how do you know it's a kid?) a lesson he won't forget in a hurry.:cool:

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

We (my brother and I) used to steal the wireless connection from our neighbor too. Actaully, he said it was ok. He was a mac fan too and we used to help him out with computer problems.

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Don't want to start a UK English vs US English debate (or flame-war :D) but NEIGHBOR seems so wrong!! :D We call it neighbour over here! "Color", "Dialog" and "Donut" are sensible and I like, but "neighbor" seems wrong. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D :p ;)

21. sablagorgaat macrumors newbie

You people are kidding, right?

Isn't it at least partially your fault for not securing your network properly? There are lots of things that can be done. Setting a WEP/WPA password, restricting the MAC addresses able to access your router, creating a closed network (not broadcasting your SSID--which you also should have changed from the default), etc.

While not completely foolproof, I think taking any or all of these measures should keep your network secure. Unleashing viruses on other people's computers, however, is not a smart thing to do.

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

Weasling in on an unprotected access point isn't exactly a capital offense, but it's also hardly fair to blame the victim, sablagorgaat; yes, if you make it easy to jump your connection you can expect it to happen eventually, but that doesn't make it your fault when it's somebody else knowingly doing it. On the other hand, it's hardly a serious crime, and the kid might not even know any better.

Therefore:

Releasing virus = bad; it doesn't just affect him, and it's rather destructive anyway.

Having a bit of fun by sending an "FBI is watching" message = an entirely legitimate and amusing prank.

Although I also like the idea of randomly killing his connection while he's surfing or in the middle of a download--my ISP pulled that on me last night, except I'm paying for their service.

Maybe annoy him for a couple days, then send him an unnerving message (how about "Your illegal use of this connection is being monitored. We know who you are."?), then cut him off. Have a bit of fun at his expense (which he left himself open to by leeching a connection, just like you left yourself open to leeching), but don't get carried away.

23. mstecker macrumors 6502

Share The Love

Why do you care? Let him surf your connection.

Ease up on the poor guy.

I keep my 2 airport hubs open, and I see 3-4 different people who use them on a daily basis when they're on the neighborhood. As far as I'm concerned, that's being a good neighbor.

M.

24. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

If you havn't protected connection then you shoudl be punishing yourself, not the other way around. Seriously, it's not stealing if it's readibly avaible.

BEN