Theming Adium

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Thought I'd ask here, since "Adium Xtras" has been down for a bit longer than the "couple days" they have posted on the site...

I've been messing around with Adium themes - basically because I really hate those d*mn ducks. So, I decided to try making it look and feel more like Gaim. Setting up a set of dock icons was easy - but I also wanted to get rid of the menubar ducks. Turns out that's not hard to do either - you can edit the relevant .png files in the "Resources" folder inside of Adium.app - but it'd be nice if there were a less kludgy way to do this. As far as I can tell there isn't an officially supported way to change the menubar images like there is for the dock images (Creating image sets in ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Dock icons/) - but am I just missing something?

On a related note: Is there good documentation somewhere for this stuff, or does Adium suffer from the same problems that plague most other Open Source projects - namely a lack of actual documentation?

Thanks!

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

All the images Adium uses are in Adium.app/Contents/Resources

but if you just want to hide that toolbar, click the widget in the top right corner, but you probably already knew that.

I'd suggest trying out my metal adium build, but if you want it to look like Gaim, it's probably not for you.

3. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Right - I manually overwrote those with resized Gaim icons (after backing them up, of course. I was just hoping there was an officially supported way to replace them, along the lines of how you can replace your Dock icons with Domo-kun :D (or whatever), rather than overwriting the files under Adium.app.