then ibook and tibook is next

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Aug 14, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

"new" is the label in the mac store for ipod, powermac, lcd iMac, and emac

so this leaves the two portables and the crt imac (which i think is fine for the price)

so when do you think the ibook and tibook will get upgraded?

(my guess is mwsf 2003 with 800-900 mhz ibook and 1 ghz tibook, plus some larger hard drives and better video cards/32 MB for ibook/64 MB for tibook...but no major redesigns)

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well I dont think that iBooks will be going G4 anytime soon and the Tibooks already had a recent update, maybe if Pioneer can fit a Superdrive into the Tibook that might happen, otherwise I really dont see much of an update happening with the laptops soon.
    Could be wrong though.....

-Richard
    www.osx.has.it

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: then ibook and tibook is next

ive also heard some rumors of implementing bluetooth into the motherboard, though i personally kinda doubt that idea for several reasons.. including the lack of devices available with a real good purpose with bluetooth..

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Re: then ibook and tibook is next

How so Jef?

You are paying $800 - $1025 for a 600 mhz G3 with a CD-rom drive

no dvd

no combodrive

no superdrive

no expandability

no portability

for the same price you can get a combo drive desktop from any major pc company.

seems a little high priced to me :)

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: then ibook and tibook is next

i am a pc technician/network techie with my own business and when i hear about all those blue screens of death, then i like any mac, even the 800 dollar imac

also, when i hear time and again about the hcl list and how many pc techies don't know what a weekend is and are used to working for free, if on slavery (salary), then any mac looks good to me

that is why i use ibook at home and it beats the heck out of the fragile dell 1.4 ghz pentium 4/512 i use for cisco stuff and even dell's flat panel blinks out every now and then and windows 2000 often does not shut down, and etc...

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Re: Re: Re: then ibook and tibook is next

I agree that macs are better but the imac is worthless... why sell a computer that has no expandibility and no useful optical drive.. and a 2 year old processor.

even my grandfather needs a cd-r

Why not take the manufacturing shifts they have dedicated to the imac and build more iMac g4's or eMac's?

it just seems like a dead computer.. and way overpriced.

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: then ibook and tibook is next

that would make most pcs i see worthless since, even though they have the bells and whistles, they need me or someone like me, to make the thing not fall apart...if there were no techies, then pc users would have to at least become a basic techie...could you imagine having to be a basic mechanic to use a car?

but the imac with cd-r or combo drive and a g4 processor and at 799-1049 would make way more sense and be a good value to those on budget like many starving students

and if apple does keep the g3, give it the g3 with 512k level 2 cache which is a huge difference and ok for os x...according to a review on new ibook i read from blakespot

8. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

TiBook upgrade

FireWire2001,

Goto this site, www.expansys.com, and red-m.com, and take a look under Bluetooth devices for both sites, and tell us again that there aren't enough real uses for BT devices.....or not enough useful devices!

Now, I do think that the PowerBookG4 will be upgraded because the USA site doesnt list it under hardware, only in the maconline store....so I think somethings coming up.

TiBook, retooled: I'd really like to see a 7200RPM hard-drive in the new TiBook as now other manufacturer for laptops has one, as they seem to produce too much heat for such a slim size, and the liquid-bearings are hard to get that small, but I think Toshiba or IBM can do it.

lastly I'm hoping that all the TiBooks upto date as well as the iBooks (white models) can accept the new WiFi 802.11a by Proxim inside their Airport slots. Yes they are very slim like the Airport cards and are PC Card slot compatible just like the Airport slot. Can anyone confirm this?? By the way Proxim is the only producer of 802.11a (54MBps) that supports Apple OS--both.

cheers

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

like i have said before, i would eventually like to see a $1999 tibook

and then since early-2001, i have seen calls and/or rumors of a $999 ibook and $1199 will be too high for basic model in january of 2003

the ibook is certainly worth $1199, but there are so many pc laptops for a grand, that with today's technology, are pretty darn powerful compared to just 18 months ago

it is all relative

but if ibook started at 900 mhz and went to 1.1 ghz,

and tibook started at 1 ghz and went to 1.25 ghz,

then i would be ok with prices now being the prices in january, 2003