There is no Christmas without Christ!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iW00t, Dec 24, 2006.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It's that time of the year to think of that big invisible man in the sky... :rolleyes:

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Who? Santa?

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Santa's only invisible to you because of all that drink, maybe if you stopped drinking every time you post then you'd be able to see past the end of your nose :D

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Fools! Everyone knows that x-mas is Santa's birthday. Otherwise it's not x-mas without presents.

5. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Doubtful... agnostics and atheists mainly I'd guess since wouldn't pagans have celebrated the winter solstice already?

8. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

Atheists believe in God too, it just so happens that they believe in the empty set.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pssh, I'm jumping straight to Happy New Years. Just because of that.

Happy New Years!

Or, Happy Christmas XP Service Pack 2 2007 Edition 1, as I like to call it. ;)

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it is! :)

What is interesting is when someone is confronted with the prospect of dying/being killed, even though they may be an atheist, they usually turn to God/Christ (or whomever it is for their religion) for help.

As they say in the Army, there are no atheists in the trenches.

Granted there are exceptions but for the most part this is true. Very interesting phenomenon.

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

In desperation you have two options -- blow it all up or hedge your bets.

And, thankfully, often in death there is desperation and love.

12. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

You're kidding right?

Who still believes in that old myth?

Please. If there was even a small shred of proof for any of that (sans Emperor Constantine's reconciliation of the feuding sects of the Roman people, as this isn't proof of Christ just proof that people believed that) I might be inclined to give Christians a sane rating.

The OP isn't helping with "the invisible man in the sky" talk…
    Just sayin'… :rolleyes:

I only go along with it so as not to upset my mother. You know…

Peace out

13. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well...

You can't disbelieve in something that doesn't exist.

Either you believe in God, or you don't believe. But to explicitly believe that there is no God... either you have your head stuck really up your ass, OR, you have such a wonderful knowledge of physics that you can perfectly understand any physical or quantum process, up to n dimensions if need be, and then, only then, perhaps you can even have a small excuse to make such a claim.

For a creature that is not capable of even fully understanding his own physical world to make such a strong stance is very arrogant indeed.

14. vniow macrumors G4

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Ace reply.

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But what if He doesn't exist?

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Unfortunately, you may not know the answer to this until you die.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    OK... how about I believe in some greater power... I just don't believe that any of the current major religions have an inside track to that power...;)

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Actually a rather silly argument. If you advance a hypothesis that there is a god, it is up to you to prove its existence. One doesn't need to prove the negative. It all boils down to how you choose to live your life. If it makes you feel better to think there is an invisible man in the sky or any other article of faith, have at it. Just don't ask me to buy into it without proof. And Merry Christmas from an Atheist. ;)

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Two responses:

(a) so you believe in the tooth fairy and PowerBook G5s? According to you, you can't disbelieve in them.

(b) I find it humorous that you believe that it's insane to believe that there's no God but find no flaw in believing that there is one, given a complete lack of any proof whatsoever.

21. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

This is such bulls***. This is something that religious individuals like to believe because they can't fathom that someone can get throught life without the crutch that religion is to them. Personally, even if the christian god was real, I wouldn't even want to be his friend, much less worship him. He's really nothing but a massmurdering, narcissistic jerk.:D

P.S. The quote is "There are no atheists in foxholes."

22. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Happy christmas from a stone athiest with such a perfect grasp of personal existance that I can and do categorically state that there is no god, no approximation of god, no "higher" power, no "man in the sky" and no-one looking out for us but ourselves.

However, if the dark scares you sufficiently that you need to invent reason behind that which you don't understand then good luck to you.

I'm not afraid of the dark and I am no longer flexible enough to get my head up my ass...

23. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I'll bet any of you there is a God and I'll prove it. Granted, this is a long term bet, but if you athiests and agnostics and superficial Christians wind up in hell then I win. If you wind up in heaven or if there is no God, you win and I'll either pay up or be dead. Any takers?

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus