Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Not for me anyway, after reading of all the issues involved, midi issues, sound spike issues, lack of vst support, lack of my soundcards support, Yamaha DSPfactory built in effects/AX44, Emagic Audiowerk 2,lack of my opcode serial and usb support and the slow but bearable window resizing and draggig (my voodoo 5500 is not supportsd in osx for 2d or 3d acceleration) so i have to use my internal 6MB video).
I decided to see if it was possible to keep all my gear which works fine in 9.2.
So the question was can I get OS9.2 to have the same GUI interface and look of 10.2.
The awnser is yes!!. just make sure your OS9 is very stable like mine before you start.
let me know what you think. thanks

My biege g3 upgraded to 600\240\83bus 7410 g4 overclocked with 768 of pc100 222 ram is running the OSX desktop GUI faster than a dual 1GHZ Powermac g4, I kid you not.resizing windows and dragging are now instaneous and you can twirl a window around without the cursor losing contact at 1600x1200 85hz and 2048x1536 75hz mind you! this along with virtual desktop http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/2287 gives negates the need for dual monitors I wonder how this looks on a Large lcd, let me know. http://www.aquamakeover.com/aqua.html
Once Apple finds out they will have to take it down so hurry.
I am now using Cubase in 9.22 my Yamaha dspfactory sound card and all my plugins and my voodoo 5500 video card not to mention my serial midi interfaces and stylewriter 1200 printer are all compatable now.
Thats a lot lot of money to replace in OSX.

Please try these and let me know what you think????????
I know you Jag only for Jag OSX only programs and there are alot.
there is also a program called os9forever that helps really old macs run 9.2, did not need that though.

slightly off subject I know.
to compare g4 to old g3 {not sahara}just cut of altivec support

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this is so stupid. i may not speak for all the people but we switched to os x for stabilty, not how it looks. personally i would love the quickness of os 9 back but the stability in os x is great. i cant remember the last time i had to restart my machine due to something going wrong on my computer. this is like saying you can run all your pc stuff on your mac by putting a mac gui over windows. its not about looks, the stability.

iJon

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i agree with ijon, the whole point of having music programs on os x is all the enhancements it has...core audio and midi and so on and so forth

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
This is sweet!

Originally posted by iJon
this is so stupid. i may not speak for all the people but we switched to os x for stabilty, not how it looks. personally i would love the quickness of os 9 back but the stability in os x is great. i cant remember the last time i had to restart my machine due to something going wrong on my computer. this is like saying you can run all your pc stuff on your mac by putting a mac gui over windows. its not about looks, the stability.

iJon
Not really!!
Like I said my OS9.2 system is very stable, once in awhile an app will quit and about twice a week i have a hard freeze.
I got it that way by starting from scratch and only installing (with extensions off the apps that i need and defrag and use norton disk doctor once a week) mostly audio/music/graphics/internet and then adjusting the memory of each in get info infact i have had only 1 cubase crash in two weeks.
No other programs run but Rebirth and Reason when I run Cubase. thats pretty stable if you ask me.
In fact its more stable then a lot of the problems people have had with early OSX music apps.
And this was mainly writen for people with a "Sizeable Investment in Custom Audio Hardware and Software that is now "Worthless in OSX" and others with older macs like me who find 10.2 Gui just To Slow at Higher Res and Millions of color rates and people with non apple suppoted video cards like my Voodoo 5500.
Believe you me, I still use Jag often for "non music activities". Its great and goes good with my .Mac account.

If I could get a Dual tommorrow and could update all of my hardware and software i would in a heartbeat.
But I am unemployed at present and these little hacks make me much more productive and maybe i can get a few paying clients.

Again this is not to down Apple os OSX 10.2, but to offer a bridge for those in my situation until they can afford all new gear and plus it's just plan sweet and fun.

I am waiting for someone with a dual 800 or better, new Ibook or TIbook to try these and tell me how well it flies on there machines.
This is not stupid. It is Fun!!!

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Why do you say that

Originally posted by howard
i agree with ijon, the whole point of having music programs on os x is all the enhancements it has...core audio and midi and so on and so forth
Please dont dismiss it out of hand until you have tried it.
That is all I am asking and is only fair.
Also if you understand my predictument I would hope you would understand that this was the only way for me to go at this time.
I love my 10.2 so much and still use it regularly, but so much of my hardware and software would not work, my os9.2 was stable, so all i did was get the OSX's GUI which I love and applied it to 9.2(Apple themselves are doing the same thing to classic soon) but my hardware in software did not work in classic either and never will so I did what I had to do at this time iand it is freaking amazing to see this GUI on my lowly 600 G$ upgraded cpu fly!
Thanks for trying to see a nother point of view

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
itunes

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Hey daveG5... how many songs in your iTunes Library?

:cool:
At present I just have six from the songs I made in Cubase VST5.1 and Reason I am about to ripp Norah Jones, Sade, Chic, Satriani, Santana, Stevie, Whitney, Herbie Hancock, and some old funk so it will fill up quickly

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
You are soooo "WRONG"

iJon
WHo Switched?
Switchers are former Windoze users.
I am Mac user from system 7 on. Does this mean I can no longer use the real OS9.2 ? Do i have to use OSX only? Should all the macusers who can not run OSX fast enough or afford new macs simply stop using them? what is so bad about applying A newer Macos theme and GUI on an older OS? Did I miss something. Again I love OSX have only had a few crashes in months when installing new software and apps quiting (I.E. anyone). the stabilty of os9.2 when optimized is almost as good as 10.2 in my case and the midi syncing with my old serial opcoded midi boxes , one is USB is flawless. not to mention my Yamaha DSPFACTORY card has the same Power of the O2R card mixer used on so many albums and its GUI in Cubase is Amazing All my VST plugs work right now and my Voodoo 5500 card actuallyaccelerates things.
All I ask is for people in my situation is to give it a try before demeaning it Thanks

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
has anyone else tried this?

Have to run for a few to get groceries.
please can someone else besides me do this thread some justice and actually try this on a stable 9 system and report back. I am extremely interested in the opinions of someone with a fast 800+ machine and someone with a slow 300- machine.
It would be interesting to hear from someone else who has actually tried this.
Thanks much!!
Daveg5

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Sorry no fake OSX for me

I have a Blue and White G3 that I upgraded to a G4 and a PowerMac 7500 that was upgraded to a 7600 and then a G3. I run OS9 on my PowerMac 7500 and use it as a TV Tuner and Webserver. My Blue and White runs OSX.

A couple of thoughts here...

1) To best maintain a smooth and optimal running Mac, never add bells and whistles that don't directly improve productivity. Sure things may seem to work fine or not slow things down, but every candy extension you add to your system reduces its reliability and speed.

2) Given the various aspects of the interface, I'm not sure slapping the candy of OSX on top of OS9 makes OS9 more usuable. In other words, I continue to use the Launcher for OS9, rather than any of the Dock type apps. It's interesting to note that while OS9 was being co-developed with OSX, that they didn't decide to include any more of OSX into it than they did...most noteably the OS interface.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: has anyone else tried this?

Originally posted by daveg5
Have to run for a few to get groceries.
please can someone else besides me do this thread some justice and actually try this on a stable 9 system and report back. I am extremely interested in the opinions of someone with a fast 800+ machine and someone with a slow 300- machine.
It would be interesting to hear from someone else who has actually tried this.
Thanks much!!
Daveg5

I'd love to run to your rescue Dave, but i'm runinng jag on a dp1000 with reason2 and logic installed and boy does it rock!

i think those lil' skin gui programs are crap. I bet it makes your recordings noisier. ;)

Serioulsy, if you wanna "make some cash" or "get a gig" or whatever... invest your time in a good demo or whatnot as opposed to making os 9.2 look like osx and bragging about it. you know?

who cares, really?

and seriously.... osx gui tagged over 9 makes you more productive? Sure.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: has anyone else tried this?

Originally posted by Moxiemike

I'd love to run to your rescue Dave, but i'm runinng jag on a dp1000 with reason2 and logic installed and boy does it rock!

i think those lil' skin gui programs are crap. I bet it makes your recordings noisier. ;)

Serioulsy, if you wanna "make some cash" or "get a gig" or whatever... invest your time in a good demo or whatnot as opposed to making os 9.2 look like osx and bragging about it. you know?

who cares, really?

Finally somone who thinks like me and thinks what is doing and saying is quite strange. and daveg5, I am not going to make fun of you anymore though. If there is one thing ive learned from being a mac user is that we are one big community, and we help each other out like one big family. sorry about my earlier post, i just thought it was kind of strange what you were doing and telling us. just wait a couple of months and see if you can get your self a nice new mac with new software. I am no sound expert, but could you possibly use your old hardware on your old mac and then convert what you did on it to a new mac using os x software. and dont forget, apple loan is here and it has been a big hit at our apple store. but for the record, os x gui on top of 9 isnt that cool.

iJon

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Re: has anyone else tried this?

Finally somone who thinks like me and thinks what is doing and saying is quite strange. and daveg5, I am not going to make fun of you anymore though. If there is one thing ive learned from being a mac user is that we are one big community, and we help each other out like one big family. sorry about my earlier post, i just thought it was kind of strange what you were doing and telling us. just wait a couple of months and see if you can get your self a nice new mac with new software. I am no sound expert, but could you possibly use your old hardware on your old mac and then convert what you did on it to a new mac using os x software. and dont forget, apple loan is here and it has been a big hit at our apple store. but for the record, os x gui on top of 9 isnt that cool.

iJon

as a matter of fact, my ex coworker skinned os 9.0 back in the day when osx was first unveiled. It crashed and was buggy and the widgets didn't look right....

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001

G5:Ouch that hurts as you have exactly the machine I want!!!
just try it , there is nothing sinful about running OS9, it has full vst support and it looks the same and that dual 1GHZ would even seem faster.

i think those lil' skin gui programs are crap. I bet it makes your recordings noisier.

G5:Actually with the exception of no animation in the Dock it is identincal to OS10.2 JAG , fonts, anti alias text and all. Are you saying the OS10.2 from Apple sucks? Imitatation is the purest form of flatery. It is a copliment not a insult!
My Yamaha DSPFACTORY has always sounded pristine and still does with the 4in4out Yamaha ax44. It has over 100DB sn, 2 built in stereo fx, compressor, limiter, eq all with out taxing my slow cpu.
I know its not as good as the newer soundcards spec-wise but it has proven itself in many pro movie soundtracks and pro cds in the form of the O2R.
It really sounds great. and at $1500 original price (maybe 4-5 on ebay) I am not about to throw it away for a cheap plastic usb interface with no fx or dsp. Will anyone try before you comment? Geez!

G5:Well spoken this is exactly what I am doing, however you fell to understand that incompatabilities, lack of drivers, vst support, bad midi timing, imic did not always work right, and like of upgrade money left me no chose. again I love 10.2 jag bought it at 129. bought .mac at 49 and use them daily. I like them it so much that i seeked out away that I could still use all of my hardware and software in os9.2 but only with that great jag interface. My productivity in my music apps is better because every works with my hardware in OS9.2 and it is fairly stable and the screen redraws, window resizing, and dragging all important are much faster. and I am proud of both os9.2 and 10.2. this does not mean I dont like 10.2 it just mean people like myself with a sizable investment in older music hard and software that is working find can keep using it and gain at least the visual GUI of 10.2.

who cares, really?
I do, this is important to me and those of us who cant afford to upgrade at this time. hopefully by fall I will have a dual also and maybe a driver for some of my hardware will be released afterall Yamaha is a big company. and Emagic made the Audiowerk2 card.
This is also cool for those with older non upgraded makes to get a feel for OSX before they upgrade. Why is this a bad thing like you all thinkl!! snobish snobish

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: has anyone else tried this?

Originally posted by Moxiemike

as a matter of fact, my ex coworker skinned os 9.0 back in the day when osx was first unveiled. It crashed and was buggy and the widgets didn't look right....
Trust me they look right now, including the folders, not buggy no crashes.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by daveg5

G5:Ouch that hurts as you have exactly the machine I want!!!
just try it , there is nothing sinful about running OS9, it has full vst support and it looks the same and that dual 1GHZ would even seem faster.

i think those lil' skin gui programs are crap. I bet it makes your recordings noisier.

G5:Actually with the exception of no animation in the Dock it is identincal to OS10.2 JAG , fonts, anti alias text and all. Are you saying the OS10.2 from Apple sucks? Imitatation is the purest form of flatery. It is a copliment not a insult!
My Yamaha DSPFACTORY has always sounded pristine and still does with the 4in4out Yamaha ax44. It has over 100DB sn, 2 built in stereo fx, compressor, limiter, eq all with out taxing my slow cpu.
I know its not as good as the newer soundcards spec-wise but it has proven itself in many pro movie soundtracks and pro cds in the form of the O2R.
It really sounds great. and at $1500 original price (maybe 4-5 on ebay) I am not about to throw it away for a cheap plastic usb interface with no fx or dsp. Will anyone try before you comment? Geez!

G5:Well spoken this is exactly what I am doing, however you fell to understand that incompatabilities, lack of drivers, vst support, bad midi timing, imic did not always work right, and like of upgrade money left me no chose. again I love 10.2 jag bought it at 129. bought .mac at 49 and use them daily. I like them it so much that i seeked out away that I could still use all of my hardware and software in os9.2 but only with that great jag interface. My productivity in my music apps is better because every works with my hardware in OS9.2 and it is fairly stable and the screen redraws, window resizing, and dragging all important are much faster. and I am proud of both os9.2 and 10.2. this does not mean I dont like 10.2 it just mean people like myself with a sizable investment in older music hard and software that is working find can keep using it and gain at least the visual GUI of 10.2.

who cares, really?
I do, this is important to me and those of us who cant afford to upgrade at this time. hopefully by fall I will have a dual also and maybe a driver for some of my hardware will be released afterall Yamaha is a big company. and Emagic made the Audiowerk2 card.
This is also cool for those with older non upgraded makes to get a feel for OSX before they upgrade. Why is this a bad thing like you all thinkl!! snobish snobish

ok. you're recording with an iMic???/ WTF?? And you think you'll be able to do this for a living?

what are you recording? I mean.... shudder... iMic??????

You really do need to invest in some gear. Could it be the reason for unemployment?

get a Motu 828, some good mics....

:D

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
this fall ibm 970 dual

iJon
------------------------------------------------------------------------
G5:Why Thank You its hard when you thinkl different, but I am an Apple user and use to sell the things and should be used to it by now.
you will have to trust me on this one. it is "way COOL" to have this interface reunning at 1600x1200 millions of colors and resize the windows instantly, play unreal with 4Xfsaa, yes my voodoo card works great but not in 10.2 same for my read:exspensive investment and hardware and software. It took me many months to learn the ins and out of the DSPfactory and cubase and vst plugins together and now its second hand. While I applaud Apple for implementing new standards in OSX for music it istantly obsuleted most of my stuff. So until I can afford the new dual, DSP soundcard for OSX(dont exist yet that I know of) this is the only way to go for the rest of us. peace and love
well this fall i hope to upgrade to an osx compatable soundcard, a dual ibm 970 powermac, the latest Cubase etc. maybe a powercore or uad once they are osx compatable, once you use a soundcard with built in dsp,fx,eq,etc its hard to go back to a simple soundcard:)

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
I know.

ok. you're recording with an iMic???/ WTF?? And you think you'll be able to do this for a living?

what are you recording? I mean.... shudder... iMic??????

You really do need to invest in some gear. Could it be the reason for unemployment?

get a Motu 828, some good mics..
G5:I know, you are right , got me there, How dumb was that, well actually it work pretty good with the Deck 3.5 demo back in July and was the only way I could get audio in other then the built in RCA ports on my Biege g3. now hopefully you can see why I love my Yamaha DSPFACTORY so much 24Bits and 5 DSP engines 4-1/4ins and 4 1/4outs plus headphone jack with volume not to mention digital and analougle rca ins/outs and it sounds great it was hard to learn and will be hard to replace. Now i dont have to just yet...

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Hey ... feel free...

Feel Free to throw rocks at those of us who live in big air conditioned houses, with porsches in the driveways... we'll make the movies you love to watch, and the music you love listen to, and we'll do it with the fastest most powerful machines available.

I like using Unix among other things on OSX.

Yes, you can very easily get by on OS9, but that's the amazing thing about Apple Computer Inc. It makes computer technologies that you can use well past the working life of any PC. I repeat: Beyond the working life of any PC.

While I applaud your ingenuity, I urge you to upgrade when you can. Yes you can and will be able to get by on OS 9 for a long time, but consider your family, think of your friends. Don't make things hard on them... don't bring anguish to we your faithful brothers and sisters at MacRumors over your stubborness... we care about you... then we can stride forward into the future... then we can all look ahead with supreme confidence. Join our revolution... then and only then, can we few... we proud few... sleep peaceful in the knowledge of your empowerment in a world with Windows that no one can see through.

;)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
G5:I know, you are right , got me there, How dumb was that, well actually it work pretty good with the Deck 3.5 demo back in July and was the only way I could get audio in other then the built in RCA ports on my Biege g3. now hopefully you can see why I love my Yamaha DSPFACTORY so much 24Bits and 5 DSP engines 4-1/4ins and 4 1/4outs plus headphone jack with volume not to mention digital and analougle rca ins/outs and it sounds great it was hard to learn and will be hard to replace. Now i dont have to just yet...

I can see why you're sticking with OS 9 if you've got a beige G3, it's exactly what I'm doing till i can get a G4, There's no point wasting the money on OS X when 4 times as much would buy a used G4 that could run it better. Limited RAM expansion, slow HD controllers, lame video hardware that won't help Quartz Extreme in the slightest and a CPU with no altivec is hardly going to be a decent system for audio work under OS X no matter what people say about how snappy jaguar is on slower models.

OS X is the best thing to happen to the mac since apple lowered their hardware prices, It's just a shame that people with older models are left out in the cold because the GUI needs so much power just to make it usable.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
I can see why you're sticking with OS 9 if you've got a beige G3, it's exactly what I'm doing till i can get a G4, There's no point wasting the money on OS X when 4 times as much would buy a used G4 that could run it better. Limited RAM expansion, slow HD controllers, lame video hardware that won't help Quartz Extreme in the slightest and a CPU with no altivec is hardly going to be a decent system for audio work under OS X no matter what people say about how snappy jaguar is on slower models.

G5: You are mostly right, however my G3 has been upgraded overtime and in norton's system info 1626-cpu, 1619 fpu, 1011 video(832-624 256 colors) it can actually run neck and neck with any mac 800MHZ and under in all non Video, read OSX related activities.
As it stands G4 625/83bus/768pc100 memory-plextor 40-12-40a cdrw, pioneer slot load dvd (plays only in OSX using the excellent video-lan DVD Player)
I recently bought 10.2 and love it, all the iapps and sherlock and so forth, but snappy would be a the worlds biggest overstatement on older machines that is. OS9 is snappy but does not have the memory protection and multitasking ability of OSX, although mine is stable I still get a extension or memory related hard crash a few 1-3 times a week
OS X is the best thing to happen to the mac since apple lowered their hardware prices, It's just a shame that people with older models are left out in the cold because the GUI needs so much power just to make it usable.

I could not agree more which is exactly why I posted this thread and for those with a large investment and hardware that is no deemed obsolete in OSX I consider the aqua makeover a bridge to OSX for those users until they can afford the real upgrade investment. I also wish someone with a really fast machine would try it as it would just scream and maybe some one with an under 300MHZ machine non supported mac could at least see the GUI on his machine even if it is not the real thing.
Is that so bad. think different think fresh
you can check out my screenshots at(http://homepage.mac.com/dvyoung5/PhotoAlbum2.html ) or check out file sharing to see the best ones especially the dspfactory sceenshots, I am using virtual desktop on my 21 sony fd so I switch between 1600/1200 screens while my sony tv is hook up to the svideo out for games and quicktime trailer and cable is hooked to the av ins(the av card does not work in classic or OSX

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
productivity

1) To best maintain a smooth and optimal running Mac, never add bells and whistles that don't directly improve productivity. Sure things may seem to work fine or not slow things down, but every candy extension you add to your system reduces its reliability and speed.

G5: I cant argue with that, you are right,however many of the features do ehance productivity, here goes.
1. greg's browser by Kagi lets me search for files just like in OSX.

2. Smooth type gives me the great anti alias smooth text of osx with a special subpixel setting for lcd monitors (when I can afford one).

3.Adock gives me an OSX stlye dock for easy app switching (unfortunately no bouncing balls og magnification.

4.The Lucida Grande font is the same font used in OSX and is easy on my eyes.

5.Kalaidoscope allows me to use many scheme some more fuctional then the rest, not just the aqua theme which I love the most and will give me a jumpstart when I go fully OSX next year, why should anyone have to look at the classic OS9 or want to after ten.

6.Powerwindows has a real cool scaling effect like OSX no genie effect though, pure eye candy not needed.

7.Changing desktops and icons is a fun activity and allows you to personalize your machine and should be done by all, isnt creativity and individuality what Apple is all about.

8. Respond gives limited preemptive multitasking to OS9 supposedly, but caused my machine to crash so I promptly removed it.

9.Using OS9 for my audio apps allows me to continue to get full use out of all of my now obsolete but still funtional hardware and software while at the same time letting me work with a OSX style interface.
I think most of the above could be considered productive!!!!!!

2) Given the various aspects of the interface, I'm not sure slapping the candy of OSX on top of OS9 makes OS9 more usuable. In other words, I continue to use the Launcher for OS9, rather than any of the Dock type apps. It's interesting to note that while OS9 was being co-developed with OSX, that they didn't decide to include any more of OSX into it than they did...most noteably the OS interface.
Launcher and application switcher are more productive in 9 but the Adock is cooler and more fun.
When using the OSX theme in OS9 you can still grab the windows from the sides cool!
This will change when using classic in OSX it will have an OSX style interface in upcoming OS updates.

Your points are well taken and sometimes correct. but I truly am more productive in OS9 then in OSX on my particular setup at this time. if drivers were writen for my software and hardware with modest or free software upgrade prices I would go all OSX in a heartbeat even giving up my av ins and uots and serial port devices. next year i hope
peace!

Aquamakeover

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2002
Aquamakeover

Hello,
My name is Benj Bilheimer, I'm the webmaster of Aquamakeover.com.
I think Dave made some good points about getting an Aquamakeover.
The reason I made the site was for two kinds of people:
1) the people who run Mac OS9 and cannot afford or don't want to get Mac OSX (for whatever reason that may be)
2) people who currently run OSX but use Classic and want to make the transition a little bit less of a jump.

I do graphic design and when working on my mac I don't want a bland grey boring GUI I want something easy on the eyes that is good too look at.
The entire aquamakeover is around 8mb and only two extensions it's not too difficult.
Besides like Dave said: "(…)why should anyone have to look at the classic OS9 or want to after ten.".

Also a new extension I jsut found brings yet another feature of OSX to OS9.
It removes the box around the text on the desktop and makes the text white.
You can download it via ftp here Enjoy!

By the way my website also has icons desktops and news it's not just the Aquamakeover.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Aquamakeover

Originally posted by Aquamakeover
Hello,
My name is Benj Bilheimer, I'm the webmaster of Aquamakeover.com.
I think Dave made some good points about getting an Aquamakeover.
The reason I made the site was for two kinds of people:
1) the people who run Mac OS9 and cannot afford or don't want to get Mac OSX (for whatever reason that may be)
2) people who currently run OSX but use Classic and want to make the transition a little bit less of a jump.

I do graphic design and when working on my mac I don't want a bland grey boring GUI I want something easy on the eyes that is good too look at.
The entire aquamakeover is around 8mb and only two extensions it's not too difficult.
Besides like Dave said: "(…)why should anyone have to look at the classic OS9 or want to after ten.".

Also a new extension I jsut found brings yet another feature of OSX to OS9.
It removes the box around the text on the desktop and makes the text white.
You can download it via ftp

Thanks Ben I just tried the new extension and it works great. I forgot to mention most of this is freeware , some is sharware so if you use the shareware for any legnth of time help them out.
although I hadnt thought of it earlier small companies like Kagi and the makers of watson really help software along on the mac until they are bought up so heres a plug to all the individual independant small software companies. now if someone could add protective memory preemptive multi tasking. and a video lan stlye dvd player for OS9 that would be great.

I am about to boot back into 10.2 to watch a DVD in Videolan another great product by another small company and supierior in some ways to Apple's DVD player , runs great off of my built in 6MB video.
Thanks for the brige Ben
Do you have screencaptures anywhere.
Live Long and Prosper G5 outhere Enjoy!

By the way my website also has icons desktops and news it's not just the Aquamakeover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.