There is no Video iPod. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by GimmeSlack12, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Steve Jobs said it was not going to happen. Now Steve is not a liar.
    I wish I could end all the Video iPod threads with this one alone. But what Steve says I believe. Nearly all this talk of a Video iPod is brought on by everyone but Apple. Apple has never indicated such an iPod.

So who's with me, the Video iPod is not becoming reality anytime soon, if ever.

2. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i've said this quite some time ago even before the nano came out...no video iPods this year whatsoever...but as far as i'm concern..probally next year...

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3ghz PowerMacs, anyone?

But I'm not saying he's a liar. No sane CEO of a prestigious tech company is going to outline their future plans in such a high-profile market as the iPod. Why make life easier for your competitors?

I would bet my life that there are video iPod prototypes in those labs, but whether they can make a realistic, desirable, usable and affordable product with an interface that enables you to easily transfer your DVDs onto it is another issue entirely.

Now they have the momentum, there is no way that Apple is going to easily surrender the potential of this device to another firm letting them take a lead in the market when it eventually develops.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

steve jobs has often mis-informed the public before releasing a product. he used to trash flash players, now look at the nano...

even foxnews and cnn have links on thier main pages to this video ipod story.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't know if there is or not... and have no real interest in one.
    But if not... what is the "event"?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Job spins, Crt is dead but release the Emac, cuts down flash but then uses it, says there wont be a video Pod yet we know its coming. This has become standard practice for Jobs. Deny any knowledge and then release the product.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree... could care less... bit i wouldnt be surprised if they're making one. esp the way itunes is selling music videos now with songs.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm definitely not with you. Steve lies all the time. The biggest one, most recently, was the move to Intel. And let's not forget two button mice.

I probably wouldn't get a video iPod, but I might be tempted by a device that could sync with my TiVo or provide similar functionality.

10. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I understand Jobs' strategy when he says "its not the way to go" and then he goes that way. But he was saying that watching a movie on your iPod is not very practical, which I agree. I mean is it more fun playing games on your PSP, or watching movies. Generally just playing games.
    Putting videos on the iPod kind of takes away the ease of the iPod, its a device that plays audio and lets you live your life. Instead if you put a video on the iPod you are being distracted from interacting in daily life.
    Ever think it won't be called the iPod Video? Perhaps another Apple Video product, yet, I am intrigued by the Oct. 12th keynote.
    Although I don't like that they have advertised the "One more thing..." as a slogan. That was for us AppleHeads that look forward to the end of the keynote to see if Jobs says that. And man, it gives me goosebumps when he does. Hopefully that doesn't become too much of a slogan.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I hope it's not a video iPod announcement purely because I'm looking to see a Powerbook update ;)

I like wordmunger's idea of a connection to TiVo, though. Like video-in and out ports or something.

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I wouldn't mind if there was a video iPod that could support most video formats but when's that gonna happen? :rolleyes:

I really hate the idea of a video iPod for iTunes music videos only. I'm defiantly hoping for Powerbook and Powermac updates. A nice form factor change to the current iPods with a boost in capacity would be nice too.

In saying that, I'm getting really sick of iPod updates. I wish the Mac was being updated as often as the iPod.

Very querulous.

13. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Whatever it is, I just hope it is not a "learning experience". :p

14. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I never believe what Steve-O says most of the time. I seem to recall him scoffing at the idea of a flash only ipod, saying something to the effect of "those things you throw in a drawer and forget about." A little bit later, here comes the shuffle.

If it seems the market is there, they'll make it for the money.

15. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I think he trashed the ones that were currently on the market: not
    enough storage and poor user interface. When Apple was able to overcome
    those issues they came out with a flash product.

Greg

16. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I am with you...i see no need in a vPod. IMO there isnt a market for such a thang.

17. pookmail macrumors newbie

One thing I hope is that it is NOT limited to play only MOV files.
    Please let there be MPEG at least.

18. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I also think that there's not enough of a market for a video ipod. It'd be a nice function to have, and to play around with now and then, but video capabilities would just be a nice extra I'd use once in a long while - I wouldn't pay much for it. But then again, I'm one of the guys who uses his ipod for only music. Haven't even bothered loading up pictures or messed with all of the other whistles and bells.

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm with the camp that believes there won't be a video iPod. I do believe however, that the new or improved product will be related to Hi-Def (Year of HD) and Movies (Curtains on Invitation). Beyond that, I refuse to speculate so that I won't be bummed when whatever it is, is announced :eek:

20. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Jobs most certainly has lied over the years. Where have you been?

I think they are going to roll out video, but it will be more of an evolutionary step off of the photo capabilities. That is, the first video support will be just for all of the little digital camera videos that people record. So now not only can you take your pics with you, but also the little videos that you store in iPhoto.

Maybe also allow music videos from itunes to transfer over and play. But no big online video store or anything like that. I have a feeling movie studios aren't crazy about the control Apple has in the music biz right now so I doubt they are lining up to put their content online. It isn't like video piracy is as widespread as audio piracy these days either...

21. pookmail macrumors newbie

umm....road pr0n. hello!

22. robcts macrumors regular

23. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Oh Yeah! :D

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Steave Jobs also said a mac would never have a fan. loooong time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.