There is still hope for the Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R.Youden, Jan 11, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I know that people are dissapointed with the Apple TV. There are a number of issues I would like to have seen resolved.

1. DVD drive, not hard to implement really!
    2. TV recorder.

I was looking through the specs for the Apple TV and it states that the USB port is for firmware updates and service. Yeah right! The airport base station accepts updates over wireless, so why not the Apple TV.

That USB port MUST be for something else, and I hope it is for different types of Tv recorder for different countries.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wonder if they didn't include a DVD drive because they knew that different people would want different drives? Upscaling, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, etc.

My guess is that they figure people will add the AppleTV to their already existing equipment, vs using it to replace existing equipment (like DVD players). :confused:

3. uNext macrumors 6502

I want to like apple tv i really do but is so crippled and drm wirrten all over it
    i just dont see myself spending money on something that will from what it appears function properly with drm files.

(no, avi,divx etc.)

If it could play/stream any type of video file then i would consider it.

But my ps3 is basically capable of doing the same thing right now as long as i convert videos to the mp4 format. And i have a blu-ray player on it.

I was hoping for more from apple tv i hope it gets hacked to a point of no return maybe then i will consider it.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I agree with you both. At the moment the Apple TV just isnt really there in terms of features. If this included a HD-DVD / BlueRay and a TV-Recorder Apple would have a HUGE hit on their hands.

Look what Microsoft did with the XBOX, they sold them at a loss to get into the market, now they are crapping on the PS3 with the XBOX 360. This is a market Apple can and should dominate, how people watch media, they just need to commit 100%.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I disagree.

Adding a HD or Bluray would just add to the cost and adding DVR capabilities would require a TV input, again adding to the cost. So who is going to pay $500+ for an Apple DVR DVD player (aka Mac Mini), when a Tivo can be had for less than $100 in some cases. Apple isn't trying to replace Slingbox or Tivo, this device is designed to be an extension of the Mac experience solely for streaming (and storing) media content from that originates from your computer and ideally from iTMS. Think residual income here, if they sell Apple TVs they will most likely sell more media content from iTMS since now it becomes very easy to watch on a TV instead of a computer display.

I really don't think it will ever become a true standalone device - whats the point? Plenty of players already in the market doing quite well, and if Apple wanted to get serious in that space they could just buy one of those companies.

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've been thinking about this, and especially why they're even bothering to sell Apple TV in Canada where you can't buy video content through iTunes, which has led me to more speculation:

We've been thinking about this thing as a PVR, I think Apple is thinking of it as the iPod of the video industry. I read an article recently stating that the big thing the iPod did was "liberate" people's MP3 collection from the computer room.

Given the number of people I know who use Bit Torrent et al to download movies, and tv shows, and rip DVDs I can't help but wonder if Apple is going in the same direction -- give people a way to watch these shows on their TV set, while putting in the minimal effort to appease the media content interests.

After all, nobody says this content _has_ to be bought from iTunes -- grab a torrent, stick it in your movies folder, fire up the Apple TV and watch it comfortabty.

7. macjackpro macrumors member

I agree

Also I would point out there are audiophiles like me. I've always been interested in the concept of the ipod as a music storage and delivery system, but I've always said I will not buy one until it has a digital out.

Guess what. The ?tv has a digital out. I'm buying one for my high end stereo...hooking up the digital out to my DAC.

And since it does video, I can wheel in a TV when I want to watch TV shows I get from iTunes...and eventually movies if iTunes ever does rentals. I refuse to pay for movies. I've always rented, and I will continue to rent. If I have to use handbrake so be it.

Like you said, its the ipod for the living room.:cool:

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is the "optical digital output" from the Airport Express much inferior to what the AppleTV has?

(I have zero experience with digital audio, in case that wasn't obvious). :)

9. dgoldak macrumors newbie

I would think Apple will have some other items in the future to work with AppleTV, my guess would be a new MacMini. I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs said in the keynote there would be more Mac stuff coming out in the coming months.

10. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Why are people trying to make this into something it isn't, it's an Itunes Extender. End of Sentence, it's not a HTPC and It's not a DVD Drive. It's a way of getting Itunes Content, Purchased or Ripped, into your living room, including Podcasts. I for one Like the Ability to do this without dragging my Mac Mini to my TV, plus it has better Audi and Video Output support with HDMI, Component, and Toslink outputs. I'm picking one up for those functions.

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Well to be fair most torrents are AVI's so you would need to convert them.

12. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Exactly perfect for my Apple Lossless Library

13. firefoxnx macrumors member

firefoxnx

appletv is not a TV

am i the only one to notice that appletv is not a tv? whats with the lame name? :confused:

14. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

1. I don't know about you but I have enough DVD players (including HD DVD) already. Also, this device is meant to *stream* content from your Mac to your widescreen LCD. That's what it is.....nothing more and nothing less.

2. The state of affairs is such that the only TV tuners *currently* available provide analog instead of digital. Furthermore, they won't display your HD content. I speak from experience 'cause I invested almost 3 grand on an Alienware Media Center PC about a year ago and was *extremely* disappointed with the picture quality after my pristine digital signal was effectively degraded to analog by by fancy smansy TV tuner card.

Apple TV is *precisely* the type of device I am looking for......I actually ordered mine today. I leave my DVR functions to my Cox Cable DVR. This device will allow me to stream my pictures, music and possibly even a movie or two that I dl from ITMS to the LCD in my living room.

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'd rather pay double and get a Mac Mini, a whole lot more useful than the Apple TV

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I was just about to post that.

For about double the price you can get a full computer. Add an Elgato EyeTV and you've got your DVR. All that stuff can be put into iTunes automatically and be ready to watch when ever. You can use the iTunes/iPhoto sharing to get all the movies and pictures from your other computers. I really don't know where the $300 is going, I mean, it's only a 40gig harddrive and pretty basic hardware.

This is what I will do when the time comes.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't know why this question keeps coming up.

1. There will be no DVD
    2. There will be no DVR

Ever.

It just doesn't make sense for Apple. They are trying to sell you iTMS content so why would they create competition for themselves.
    If you buy/have an Apple tv you are much more likely to buy more content from iTMS so it is a win win situation for them. If you don't they don't lose anything.

HD content WILL come from the iTMS and when it does, there's one reason less for having a DVD player. As for a DVR, see above. Apple won't let you record TV shows when it wants you to buy them from the iTMS.

This will NEVER happen, just let it go please.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Wrong. They are trying to sell the device to start with. Apple makes virtually nothing from iTMS sales. iTMS exists to create lock-in for their products.

If your logic dictate's Apple's design decisions then please explain why the iPod supports other file formats.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Just to add this:

You can always connect your EyeTV to your main media server and then set up a workflow to export all taped content to H264 and then load it into iTunes.
    This way you can stream ALL your taped content to every Apple tv.

Elgato will have a software upgrade for the HD export out at some point in the near future they say.

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Apple wants people to use iTMS on that we agree I think. To achieve this they won't get themselves home made competition and just rely on their own sold media.
    And even though Apple doesn't make THAT much on each download, they do make a lot considering the grand scheme of things. iTMS will make them quite a bit of money over time, when they are one of THE resellers for movies, tv shows and music.

Besides, have you seen how many different types of DVRs are out there? Apple would have to provide a lot of versions to satisfy every market.

21. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Perhaps someone will create an Airfoil for video, so you can send any video content to your television. Even then I don't think it's worth it.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Use Airfoil to send any audio to the AirPort Express, or multiple units simultaneously. Get the ultimate AirPort Express experience, only with Airfoil!

22. tylerboyo macrumors member

Its a great idea, and I havent really looked into it, since its release. But, if its only itunes, id never get it. I download alot of lost, prison break, desperate housewives, southpark, simpsons and american dad, as im in the UK, and i dont wanna wait forever. The idea of a dvd player would be good, so its 1 less "box" you have round your tv area. Now, if they think of doing it for all formats, avi, dvi etc id be all over it. Plus, id have to order 1 from the states, as the UK equivalent is just over $400.

23. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I think some of you are missing the point.....

To begin with, Apple TV is about half the price of a Mac Mini. Frankly, I would probably still buy it even if it only did photos, music and videos.

If you want a DVD drive and DVR functions, buy a Mac Mini and add on a TV tuner card and DVR software but.....once again, current TV tuner cards only display content in analog regardless of how it is broadcast. So....be prepared to have your pristine digital and/or HD signal degraded to craptastic analog. Furhtermore, if you tune to a HD channel via your TV tuner card you will see nothing but black 'cause current TV tuner cards won't display HD content other the OTA which is a pain in the arse Capesh?

If, like myself and *many* others, you *don't* want <another> DVD drive and you *already* have a DVR, Apple TV is a nice addition.

IMHO products should be evaluated for what they are.....not for what *you* want them to be.

Rant over and have a nice day. :eek:

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Not true. EyeTV for example does capture HD content. But I agree Apple tv is exactly what it is supposed to be.

If you people want a DVR get an EyeTV, hook it up to your media server, create an automatic export script/automator action to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

If you people want a DVD player, rip the disc with Handbrake to your media center, import to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

I don't know what the fuss is all about, you can still do all the things you want to with the added benefit that you only need one media server (DVR, DVD, music, photos, etc.) for all your TVs.

25. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Yeah....but only OTA HD content. It will not capture of display HD content from, for instance, your local cable provider.

That aside, you hit the nail squarely on the head with each and every one of your other points.