"There's always hope that this might not work."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

From an opinion piece by James Taranto (in today's WSJ), a transcript of the conversation between Jon Stewart and Nancy Soderberg (on a recent episode of "The Daily Show"):
    and Stewart finally gets her relaxed enough to blurt out:
    Taranto has a few things to say about it, but I think Ms. Soderberg's words really speak for themselves.

Link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Link
    Nice.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

First, before the Bushies break an arm patting themselves on the back, there is very little evidence that the real democratic changes that have gone on in places like the Ukraine and now, hopefully, in the "Cedar Revolution" in Lebanon have anything to do with anything they have done. This is the people of Lebanon changing their country themselves and the press statements by Rice or others doesn't change the fact of who is responsible.

Second, the two places where Bush can legitimately claim his policy has transformed a nation, Iraq and Afghanistan, are hardly shining examples of democracy. I wish both nations all the luck in the world in the effort to succeed but there is much to be said how the mishandling of events since the start of US military operations have in fact undermined the chances for democracy. This hardly something to crow about.

Lastly, we are seeing efforts in Saudi Arabia and Egypt that amount to nothing more than fig leafs of reforms that are an effort to hide the continuing authoritarian rule in both nations. While liberals complain about the horrible blunders Bush, it does not translate that they or anyone else to the left of the latter day Genghis Khans of this administration, want democracy to fail. We all just don't like foolish people giving credit to policies that only make things worse.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I guess we don't need to prompt them to "loosen up."

(BTW, who is Nancy Soderberg? I've never heard of her.)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey Lyle, did you watch this episode of the Daily Show, or did you just pick this up second-hand?

The reason I'm asking is because I was hoping you could provide the rest of her quote where your elepsis cuts her off after she says "Well, I think, you know, as a Democrat, you don't want anything nice to happen to the Republicans, and you don't want them to have progress..."

I'm watching that episode right now, and the rest of that line puts something of a different spin on what she says.

6. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know the original author of this speech that Rep. Gibbons gave. I wonder if he gave her credit for the speech or if he claimed it as his own.

7. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

According to the short bio at the book page (linked in the original post):
    Clinton (Bill, not Hill) also apparently wrote the forward to her book.

8. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

I didn't see it; I was quoting from the transcript in the WSJ opinion piece that I linked to.

According to the (WSJ) transcript, the full quote for that particular response is:
    What I took away from her statements is that while "as an American, you hope good things would happen," she'd prefer that those good things don't happen under a Republican administration. There's always hope that this won't work, and that the violence in the Middle East will continue until we get back in charge of things. How did you interpret her sentiments?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I realize she wrote a book, and worked for the Clinton administration. I still wonder who she is that what she said on a TV show matters so very much.

She was asked a political question and gave a political answer. Now that's really shocking.

What I thought was interesting in a predictable sort of way was Taranto's spin. He used her remarks to suggest that violence in the Mideast was the somehow the desire of Democrats and that to question the Bush policy was to be unpatriotic.

Not that anyone would want to make a story out of that. No siree. That's become so routine it's now considered normal.

10. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sorry, did not understand what you were asking. I suppose that part of the answer is that she's someone who the Daily Show's bookers thought was important enough to give airtime to.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Similarly, but I don't see how it's all that horrible of a thing for her to say. Do you suppose the GOP wanted the Kosovo operation to go wonderfully for Clinton, or do you think some of them were at the very least privately hoping that it wouldn't work out all that well for Bill? Do you think you could have found some nominally Republican person who would have publicly stated it? Was the GOP out rooting for Clinton when he crafted NAFTA? No, and you again could probably have found some Republican somewhere at the time who would have said that they hoped the jobs fled to Mexico until a GOP administration could fix things.

I just don't get it. You have the WSJ (of theliberalmedia of course) opining that she said these horrible anti-American things, yet when the guy from Powerline (Time's 'Blog of the Year) calls Jimmy Carter a member of 'the other side', or a traitor in other words, you don't hear a peep from the WSJ.

Did the WSJ write about how the true feelings of the GOP were shown by the College GOPers who chanted that SS should go? I didn't think so.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well that's beyond meaningless to me, possibly because I'm not a Daily Show watcher and can't think of a single good reason to take it seriously. (Yes, I know it's popular, but that does not make it a news program.)

In any event, I think Taranto's spin is far more questionable than what this person said. It's one thing to admit that one party's success might be harmful to the other party's chances, and quite another to suggest that one party craves violence and is unpatriotic for not backing the President's policies. I'd hope we could agree on at least that much.

But as I say, this has become such a routine tactic for Republicans that I suppose we're not meant to notice anymore.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seems like he plagerized that speech! Wow, you can get kicked out of college for doing that, and here this guy is, a Congresscritter and he's setting a fine example. I haven't heard anywhere that he gave the original author credit, not to mention that it's somewhat unseemly to give speeches that someone else has already given.

14. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Her speech was one of those things that got distributed pretty far and wide; it's one of those things that people (well, fans of the speech, anyways) tend to forward to everyone in their address book. So it's possible that the source for the speech got lost somewhere along the way and this guy just got a copy of the text and didn't know who to credit it to. That still doesn't justify his claiming it for his own, of course.

I did shoot her a quick e-mail to let her know what a big fan she has out in Nevada, but I haven't talked to her yet. Will let you know if she follows up on it. ;)

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i saw the show, and the line of the title was a transparent joke, so I don't get what the big deal is

16. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

From the closing-the-loop department...

She followed up on it (Link).

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... so I guess the question now is How do we feel about people who plagerize? He'd be in deep doo-doo if he were in a bastion of liberalism like a college.

Not to mention the original speech itself was highly offensive and inappropriate.