There's Something Wrong With My iTunes... The Music Won't Show Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Jul 16, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I had my old iTunes library on an external when switching computers, and when I got my new MacBook, I just replaced the "iTunes" folder with the one from the external, and when I open iTunes, nothing shows up. I see the music in Finder, it's all there, and organized and everything. I've changed the directory many times, and reset it many times. I've Re-installed iTunes, and nothing ever shows up in the iTunes window.

I've had the same problem tryin to run my iTunes library from the external. I did everything other people have in a different thread (make the root and alias from the external) but nothing happened there either. I thought maybe that it just wasn't accepting a root to the external, but after copying my whole library to the internal, and it's the same results, so either I'm missing something or something is wrong with my iTunes/computer.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could try dragging the music into the library when iTunes is open and it will show up in there and you could organise it from there.

3. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm guessing there's a problem with one of the three things that should be in everybody's "iTunes" folder:

-the "iTunes Music" folder (I doubt that's where the problem is)
    -the "iTunes Library" data file (probably where the problem is)
    -the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file (possibly where the problem is)

Before doing what I'm telling you, wait for somebody else to confirm that what I'm saying will work. :)

First, delete all three of those things (assuming that your music is still backed up to the external hard drive.

Connect your external hard drive.

Go into iTunes and hit Shift-Apple-O (the letter O) and that will bring you to an Import menu. Import all your music from the external drive (this is basically the same thing as dragging&dropping music files into iTunes. iTunes will organize everything for you in the Finder (i.e. into folders by artist and album).

Hope that helps, and remember: DON'T DO IT UNLESS SOMEBODY ELSE CONFIRMS THAT IT WILL WORK! :)

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I would also like to also add that I want to keep my iTunes playlists, and "times played" records. I don't want to lose that unless it'd be impossilbe to get back.

Asherman, instead of deleting them, can't I just replace them? I can't find a "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library" file.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you can't find the iTunes Library or the XML file then you unfortunately lose your playlists and playcounts. FWIW, they should be in the Music folder of the old computer. They won't be on the external drive. :(

Reimporting the music should work but if you manage to find these other files, obviously use them by replacing the copies on your current machine instead. They will expect the music library t be in the equivalent position though, so you may need to put it back on the external momentarily and then move it back to your internal drive through the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences. :)

Did that make sense? :eek:

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Actually everything is there. The Library file and the XML file. It was properly replaced when I replaced the 'iTunes' Folder. So everything is exactly the same as from my last computer. Was the fact that I had a PPC last time effect anything?

Update:
    I got all my music showing, but I don't know how to get the playlists and the play counts to show. I have the library, and XML file in place.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you transferred the old library across, with the old data files, yet you don't see your playlists? Did you import this library or did iTunes find the songs automatically since the old data files knew where they were? :)

8. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

Are the path names exactly the same? ie. Are your external HD and MacBook HD names the same? I believe the file system can track files that are moved around on the same drive without trouble, but if you move drives, the only way for iTunes to find the file is by trying the exact path name that it has saved.

First make sure the preferences on the MacBook iTunes is set to look for its library as the same path name as your external ie. "Mac HD/Music". Then quit iTunes, copy/move the music into this path, and fire up iTunes again. Make sure to do this with a fresh copy of the iTunes Music Library file.

9. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I transferred the files over by replacing the 'iTunes' folder. So everything was like the old one. Same music, same library file, and xml file. I reset the folder location (which was the same anyways). Nothing showed up initially but after playing around I figured out that I had to use 'add to library', then all the music showed up. I did the same thing with the other files, but it just added another set of default smart playlists.

The names of my HD are different but it's the same path. HD>User>Music>iTunes>

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the iTunes folder, is there a data file with the prefix or suffix Previous? In other words, is there more than one data file? :)

11. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

I meant that the pathname of files are a secondary way for the file system to locate files when they can't be found using the normal tricks (there is some trick the filesystem uses to track a file - as long as it is on the SAME volume - try renaming a document that a dock shortcut points to... it will still work, but if you move it to a different volume, it won't).

Whatever the music folder pathNAME is on your external drive with your original iTunes (that works) is, you must duplicate this exactly on your MacBook. You only have to do this initially, you should be able to change your MacBook HD name back afterwards.

12. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yes, there's a folder named 'Previous iTunes Folder'. It has 2 iTunes Library files but they are old, from 2005. Should I delete those. I'm pretty sure they aren't the ones I need.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Didn't that just essentially create a whole new library?

Have you tried to import the XML file from the external? That might get you your playlists back...

B

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If they're really old, then trash them. You could try using them but I don't think they'll work since as balamw said, you've essentially created a new library. More than likely there'll be a subtle difference in the file locations which will make the older library files annoying to work with.

That's a good idea. Of course, as has been said earlier, you need the other library file. The XML file is actually quite useless.

In future, transfer the iTunes folder as one entity with all your music inside, and the two data files. That's all iTunes needs to use. I have a feeling that we won't be able to get your playlist and playcount data back unfortunately, but we can keep trying. :)

15. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's what I did. I replaced the whole iTunes Folder. Along with the library, and xml file. The music didn't show up, so I had to add the music to the library. That probably created another library file, I dunno.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. Yeah, you've created new versions of the library data files. Even though the previous versions claim to be from 2005, maybe try using them all the same. iTunes shouldn't have deleted the old data files when you re-added your music so hopefully they're still somewhere on your system. :)

17. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I guess they should be on my external still. But the only way I can get my music to show up in iTunes is to "add music". I've tried several times to replace the library and xml files, but then all my music dissapears. I do still have all my play counts on my iPod though. Even though it doesn't have all my music.

Ehh I guess I can live w/o my play counts. I also like the "date added" reminds me when I started listenin to a particular album. I don't know why iTunes won't freakin' work properly. I'm probably just missin' some minute thingy. :(

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just in case there's something we've missed, look through this article by Apple. It's related to using the iPod to transfer the library but the basic concept still applies. :)