Thermal Paste on Macbook (NOT MBP)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, Jun 20, 2006.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I read (some of) the thread in the Mac Hardware forum about the guy who took his MBP apart, and re-applied the thermal paste, and got some pretty good results.

has anyone taken apart a Macbook and checked the amount of thermal paste used / or re-applied it themselves?

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

3. jblock macrumors regular

They seem to be getting it "righter" as the weeks go by. I originally had a week 20 Macbook that idled at about 56C, which I had to return due to screen problems. My new week 23 Macbook idles at at about 46C now.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

How do you know they didn't clean up the processor? That actually looked TOO clean to me...

5. Rovman macrumors regular

I've reapplied the thermal paste on my MacBook, but yes it was originally applied correctly (maybe a tiny tiny little bit too much). Reapplying made virtually no difference.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

If you follow the link you can see that the pictures were shot in sequence as the MacBook was disassembled...

7. Rovman macrumors regular

The picture you have posted has had the Thermal Paste Wiped off the actual core. The silver blobs you can see around the edges is thermal paste, but the cores are clean (you can even make out the writing that's imprinted onto the cores)