Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I read (some of) the thread in the Mac Hardware forum about the guy who took his MBP apart, and re-applied the thermal paste, and got some pretty good results.

has anyone taken apart a Macbook and checked the amount of thermal paste used / or re-applied it themselves?

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
They seem to be getting it "righter" as the weeks go by. I originally had a week 20 Macbook that idled at about 56C, which I had to return due to screen problems. My new week 23 Macbook idles at at about 46C now.

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
I've reapplied the thermal paste on my MacBook, but yes it was originally applied correctly (maybe a tiny tiny little bit too much). Reapplying made virtually no difference.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
mgargan1 said:
How do you know they didn't clean up the processor? That actually looked TOO clean to me...
If you follow the link you can see that the pictures were shot in sequence as the MacBook was disassembled...

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
If you follow the link you can see that the pictures were shot in sequence as the MacBook was disassembled...

The picture you have posted has had the Thermal Paste Wiped off the actual core. The silver blobs you can see around the edges is thermal paste, but the cores are clean (you can even make out the writing that's imprinted onto the cores)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.