Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I just popped open the RAM slots of the brand new MacBook I got yesterday (to upgrade to larger chips) and the connecter part of the included RAM (the part that fits into the slot) has a white, chalky residue all over both chips.

Is this thermal paste?

If so, how much f----n' thermal paste did they apply to this thing that it leaked all the way to the RAM slots???

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
would you mind posting a picture? unless you already cleaned them off.
There SHOULDNT really bea thermal paste there, but i guess that's obvious.
they'd have to apply a pretty freaking lot (as in more than they do already) to have it "leak" all the way to the RAM.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
dirtyramtq8.jpg

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I think it didn't really "leak" to the ram, what'd be more likely is the tech accidentally got some on his hands and just rubbed it off somewhere.. :(

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Now I'm worried - should I put these new chips in?

Should I return it?

It already had a dead pixel that kind of ticked me off - this is just making matters worse...

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
generik said:
I think it didn't really "leak" to the ram, what'd be more likely is the tech accidentally got some on his hands and just rubbed it off somewhere.. :(

Yeah, but it's so well placed on just those edges. And the chips sort of face the processor on that side. AND the one that's closer to the processor is the one on the right, that looks like it has more than the other...

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Here's the best shot I could get of one of the RAM slots.

I looked in there with a flashlight and there's a lot of the same dry white stuff in the bottom of the slot. You can just make it out in the picture:

whiteslotvf2.jpg

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
That looks like water damage, not thermal paste... There seems to be brown stuff on it too.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Unspeaked said:
Here's the best shot I could get of one of the RAM slots.

I looked in there with a flashlight and there's a lot of the same dry white stuff in the bottom of the slot. You can just make it out in the picture:

whiteslotvf2.jpg

Hmm, I can't really see what I am supposed to look out for, but the ram modules do look "dirty".

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
If the RAM was working fine before, I don't see why this would be a problem. Thermal paste is non-conductive, so I can't imagine it would cause any problems if it hasn't already.

Of course, if you have a dead pixel and want a replacement MacBook, bringing this up could help "convince" them to replace yours.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
That does not look like thermal paste. That looks like corrosion. I've seen the same thing on laptop RAM that suffered a water spill. I'd return the machine if you can. Putting new chips in now might just create a short. (If it is indeed not thermal paste.)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Woah! Stop! No conspiracies here.

It is a lithium lubricant that is used when the machines are assembled too help the RAM seat into the socket.

Not a thing to worry about.

guys right, i read an article at the apple website about "white, chalky, dusty," substances like this, they said its just lubricant. i'll dig around for the article since it explains how to clean, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.