Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I've reported all of these to eBay, so if you click the link and they aren't there anymore, that's why.

These have the Apple logo right on them and they don't look anything like the nano! If you're an eBay user or even just an Apple lover, you can report listings like this and get these guys sued. There's also something called the iPlay nano going around which looks a lot like the nano, but with a label on the button. At least those don't have the Apple logo and aren't claiming to be a real nano.

First auction.
Second auction.
Third auction.

iPlay nano. Which apparently does video and radio and what not.

Just wanted to share the sickness that I'm feeling with some fellow Apple nerds.

Daniel.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Is it really illegal for them to sell it? It does say IPod on it and it not in the US. Does that matter at all, or should they say that it isn't authorized or an official Apple product?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There's also the issue that it's a hijacked account...check out the seller's other auctions.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Foxglove9 said:
Is it really illegal for them to sell it? It does say IPod on it and it not in the US. Does that matter at all, or should they say that it isn't authorized or an official Apple product?
iPod, the Apple logo and Apple computer are (IIRC) worldwide trademarks, so yes, on any or all of those counts, they are illegal.

Take the same product and call it a HappyLuckyRabbit MP3 player, and there is no trademark issue. They may still be a patent or industrial design infringement if it looks too much like an iPod.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
CanadaRAM said:
iPod, the Apple logo and Apple computer are (IIRC) worldwide trademarks, so yes, on any or all of those counts, they are illegal.

Take the same product and call it a HappyLuckyRabbit MP3 player, and there is no trademark issue. They may still be a patent or industrial design infringement if it looks too much like an iPod.
How did you find out about my HappyLuckyRabbit prototype, you bastard?

Daniel.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Reported to Apple legal too. Although they want the producers, it can't hurt to tell them (at worst they'll just delete the email).

AppleMatt

idkfa

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
Wow.

It looks homemade... :mad:

The really upsetting part is you know that someone, most likely the parents of a kid who wanted a nano bought this thinking it was genuine...

:mad:

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
you know....the ipod nano is a pretty damn huge hit...and this guy hasnt even seen one?and when he tries to make one he cant even get the appearence correct?

dogbone

macrumors 68020
BurtonCCC said:
Nice. They'll probably be down pretty soon.

Ebay will take them down soon? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

and ha.

You obviously don't know eBay. They will not take them down soon. If at all.

I've seen $7000 IWC watches for $100 where they have used the exact same photos from a genuine ad elsewhere on ebay. Ebay did not remove them. it goes on and on. eBay are scum. Although if you mention these fake ads in their forum they will remove your post. As you are not allowed to mention a client even when warning of obvious fraud that ebay do nothing about.

ebay = scum.

I've sent PM's to some of these customers warning them that they are being scammed. I've had replies like "I don't care because it's on VISA and I'll get the money back"

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
eBay does freak out if the company gets involved.

I sell Cutco knives and tried to sell one that I got at a convention on eBay... somebody was trying to insert their fallus into my anus in about 5 minutes.

Daniel.

P.S. Yeah, so I sell knives. Wanna fight about it? It's like $50 an hour and I'm 18.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
BurtonCCC said:
eBay does freak out if the company gets involved.

I sell Cutco knives and tried to sell one that I got at a convention on eBay... somebody was trying to insert their fallus into my anus in about 5 minutes.

Daniel.

P.S. Yeah, so I sell knives. Wanna fight about it? It's like $50 an hour and I'm 18.

lol, that's a graphic description if I ever saw one.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
I've also reported them to eBay and emailed Apple.

Kinda reminds me of when my mom bought Season 3 of the Sopranos from Amazon (an individual on Amazon). When she finally got them, it turned out to be the Chinese version of them, yet no where on the site made mention of that fact. I think we still have the DVDs for that matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.