These hours are killing me!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

So who here works weird hours?? Nights. Semi-nights. Etc.

I'm currently working from about 3 in the afternoon until 1:30 in the morning Sunday through Thursday.

Damn the Korean exchange!!!!

Taft

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What the hell are you doing? Nasty hours. I've never had to work shifts like that - most of mine has been daylight hours. But I do work on freelance after work till late, but I don't think that really counts.

D

3. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

A few traders at my firm have a strategy trading on a Korean index exchange. I'm building their tools and working with them to get the strategy going. The exchange is open from 7:00pm CST to 1:00 AM CST.

At first, I kind of liked it. It was a kick back to the college days. Then reality set in.

Somehow I'm working longer days, sleeping less and have less free time. Not to mention all of my friends are on "regular" time.

Not all that cool.

Taft

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i hear you...when i was in grad school, i worked at the hospital from 11 pm to 7 am for 8 months and i did that shift at kinkos copies for a few months also...it kills the sleeping hours and destroys the social life

network people learn to work weird hours, too since a lot of what has to be done can only be done when everybody goes home at 5-6 pm

some network techies come into work after lunch and look busy, take dinner, and then come back and do the real work and get home at 9 pm if they are lucky...not as bad as graveyard but it still sucks after a long while

i was in this rock band that had a network manager that made it to the last hour of our 7-10 pm practice and sometimes, half the time, he didn't make it at all

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: These hours are killing me!!

I would love to have those hours. My first computer-related job was like that and it was great because I didn't have all of the interruptions since the other office people were at home for the majority of my time.

Be glad you have a job. I'm starting a contract job tomorrow for the first time since May 2001.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: These hours are killing me!!

admin assistants really have a way to treating IT people like dirt...that's been my experience

...you could be a phd, cio, or a admiral in the naval reserve, but if you are an IT person wanting to fix the secretary's computer she requested you to fix and she doesn't want you there, she will kick you like a ferile cat:D :p :rolleyes:

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Re: These hours are killing me!!

There's always a way to make them appreciate you more. I've found it helpful from time-to-time to rename a favourite screensaver or remove file from a non-business application that the user has loaded. It always seems to help them back into reality. :D Maybe it's just my age or maybe it's just that I won't be pushed.

8. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

That's nothing, you should try working wholesale photofinishing labs. Talk about slave labor. Mandatory 12 hours, on feet all night long handling 30lb. rolls of photo paper. I can't believe I did that crap for so long. But it got me through school and I paid my own rent too. Something to be proud of I guess.

9. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

What trading firm do you work at? I have a client that's a trding firm in ChIll.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i got thru harvard being the carl's jr. star out in south boston...got beat up tons of times but learned the grappling arts (tai kwan do didn't work since you can't kick wearing that star costume) and beat up a lot of thugs while i was able to still direct traffic into carl's

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I do 12 hour shifts - they can really do your head in. There are plenty of bizarre-hour shifts, like a 7pm start, a 12pm start, or even a 5am start - and all of us are rotated fairly (although it feels as if you're jetlagged sometimes!).

Luckily, I'm on a 5-day on - 5-day off roster, otherwise it would be unbearable (and it's good to spend time with my wife and son for a long stretch). I sometimes have to travel overseas at the drop of a hat, which happens a bit - and I get the overtime out of it to make it worthwhile (to pay for the new patio to be done, and interior decorating at home!). But that's just the nature of the beast...

:rolleyes: