They all do that

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Back on October 26th, I visited the Sprint store about my Sanyo PM-8200 mobile phone. After having the phone for 3 months, I never got more than 36 hours standby time (off charger, closed, no calls) when it was rated for 12 days. I didn't expect 12 days but 5-6 days would have been great. After a 5+ minute wait, someone asked what I needed. When I told him the problem, he gave me an odd look and told me "oh, they all do that." He came close to rolling his eyes. He told me that he almost always has his phone on the charger. In any case, he finally relented and had someone look at it. It would seem that PowerSave mode was not enabled. Now, I'm on my fourth day (96 hours) with one short call and still I have 4 bars out of 4 bars on the battery. :)

How many times have you people received the blanket answer "they all do that" when you knew it didn't apply and were you able to find someone to resolve it?

2. iGav macrumors G3

Nothing springs to mind off the top of my head... although many a time I've had to explain to shop staff exactly how a product works before they can even understand the problem (that goes for Apple as well).

Although I'm sure I've had similar experiences in the past, it's just that over here, most shop workers are 4 letters short of a qualification, so as long as you have a good knowledge about the product you're returning (i.e. have read the instruction manual) and know your rights under consumer law, then it's really not difficult to get them to either replace it or offer a refund.

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I got something similar when I had to deal with NTT, the phone monopoly in Japan.

I had ISDN through them, and the guy who set it up did a half-assed job of it. He didn't explain anything, he just gave us a sheet of ISPs (that he'd made a copy of through a fax machine) and told us we could use one of them.

Little did we know that with NTT ISDN you need to use a special NTT access number or you'll be charged per minute. No one ever told us this, and we never got any information on it. 2 months later an ISDN bill came for $800 because I had been connected over night a few times (DLing Linux ISOs.)

WTF?

So I was on the phone to NTTs English customer service who said "You should've gotten our setup instructions." To which I said I didn't. All he could say was "Well, you should have." :mad:

My wife was on the phone for a week with them and finally got them to admit that they were wrong and they cancelled the bill. Since that day I have been a firm hater of NTT.

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    just this week i called Real Networks (yeah i know, real player sucks, but i just had to listen to an important european soccer game and that was the only way)

my problem was that the main index page that loaded within real player was buggy, it showed up the game i wanted but i'd go to select it and as soon as the mouse rolled over it that image went to the background colour and there would be no link.

i called, with a view to cancelling anyway, and thought i'd see what their tech dept would say....i get through to an indian lady (quite possibly in india) who told me quite convinced in herself that it was a graphics card problem, to which i said, no it is not. i don't think she even knew i was on a mac at this point. i described to her as best i could, and she would not budge from her graphics card theory. i told her i wanted to speak to her boss, she puts me through to someone else, who sounded american, he was nice, and took the time to listen, only to come up with, well, i'm surprised it's getting that far if it's on OS X, it really shouldn't be supported on the mac.

typical, not once had i seen any sys reqs for the pass i'd purchased, just so i could listen to the UEFA Champions League games. so i cancelled the pass. :rolleyes: just think if i was not computer savvy, i could be going to buy a new freakin' gfx card right now!

5. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I'd like to report a very pleasant experience while in the UK. My brother keeps a spare cell phone for company to use and we all had trouble making the silly thing work so one day I decided to get to the bottom of it. On the way to the tube station in Richmond, I stopped at the first wireless store I came to and showed them the phone and asked where it might have been purchased.

The clerk told me which store sold that brand (a competitor of course) and even walked me out to the street and pointed to the store and told me where to cross the street and reminded me which way to look for cars when crossing (the opposite to Canada)

When I got to the right store, very patiently explained all the settings and features of the phone and even set it for me to match the workings of my own phone at home.

Maybe he just liked my Canuck accent :D

Margaret

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm really shocked at how any person in Japan could get away with service like that. Maybe he was the janitor and the only one who spoke English well, so they sent him? I expect poor service around Orlando but I wouldn't expect it in Japan or other parts of the U.S.A. for the most part.

I'm also constantly surprised at phone structure and billing outside the U.S.A. How will we all change when things go global?

(Oh, and I'm almost at 5 days and 4 bars. They all do that, indeed.)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You haven't seen crappy customer service until you deal with ATT Wireless.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I lived on Guam for 3 years in the early 90's. I loved Guam and the laid back atmosphere, but the customer service was non-existant. You would ask if they had something that was not on the self....the answer was ALWAYS "i don't think so" and then they would just stand there and not go look it drove you insane. Much liked learned helplessness; when I got back to the states I was browsing in a Lowes Hardware store and was overcome by the customer service, I actually felt bad for asking a question because so many people jumped! It was a different experience.

The squeky wheel gets the grease.

9. mpw Guest

Not Wanting to Blow Own Trumpet, but...

I am constantly amazed at how often I go into a retail store and know more about their products than they do.

I can't count the times I've been unable to stand back while the person in front of me (or me) is being given absolutely crap advice from store staff. It’s not just lack of knowledge, it’s lack of any kind of commitment to customer service.

I’ve also lost count of the number of times customers have come and asked me stuff thinking I work there (do I look like I know about ‘stuff’?) and I’ve actually been able to help them.

Two good examples;
    Recently I had to step in at John Lewis when a woman buying for her son was being given blatantly wrong advice over a pBook purchase, “MS Office not available and half the speed of similar priced Sony”. I steered her to Apple’s Online Jam & Cram offer at education prices and bagged some lucky kid a 17” pBook & iPod instead of a Sony VAIO.

I went to replace a knackered mobile and was sold a SE T630, OK phone but nothing special, it was the cheapest in stock with Bluetooth. I was assured that it would send receive email no problem (my T68 drove me mad). I’m not stupid but could not configure it and took it in to the store who had to have it for 4hrs to configure it and only agreed to do that after saying these phones are notoriously difficult to set up on their network and I’d be better not trying and stick to picking mail up from a PC.

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

SBC DSL.

We were having connection problems. Http protocol was slow and at times unresponsive. I called, got somebody in India, and explained the problem, including the troubleshooting we had already done to determine that our router and computers were not the problem. He came to the immediate conclusion that we had spyware on our computer. I informed him we had multiple computers on the network and each and everyone of them had the same symptoms, and that they were reasonably maintained. He again came to the conclusion that they were being slowed down by malware. I thought about giving up and getting different a different isp, but I tried one last thing. I told him we even had a mac on the network, and it still had the same issues. He decided to check into it after that, put me on hold for a bit and then came back and said that they would have it working shortly. Now, I don't think this guy was actually clueless like many customer services people, I think they just have scripted answers there and you have to work to convince them that you're not the problem. Frustrating.

11. mpw Guest

I have just taken a break from my 'studies' and popped next door to the chemist (that's drugstore y'all) for some Coke and a packet of crisps (that's potato chips y'all) and been asked by a customer "what was good for headaches?" I suggested she dumps her WinPC and gets a Mac!...actually it wasn't a headache and I figured giving medical advice was out of even my league!! :p

12. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Conversation with our ISP help desk the other day:

Help desk: Well, we have no other reports of people not being able to send mail through our servers to AOL

Me: We've reported this several times over the last 18 months.

Help desk: Are other people having the same problem?

Me: How would I know?

Help desk: Well have you asked them?

There was some raised voices in here where my grandson asked me to keep it down so he could hear the tv :D :D

We'll pick up the conversation again

Help desk: Well, AOL doesn't like our ISP so after a certain number of messages go through from this ISP, they shut it down and no more mail can go through from here for a period of time.

me: so you admit that there are more people than just me having the problem.

help desk: no, it's just you, nobody else has ever called in about it.

me: so how many emails would it take for AOL to shut it down do you think?

help desk: Oh, it would take thousands and they probably have at least 50 servers so sometimes you'd be lucky and not get blocked at all.........

I have no idea what he said after that.........

Margaret

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

You'd be surprised at how ***** rude NTT is, and the number of people that just shut-up and take it. When we changed phone line owners, NTT requested a death certificate to prove that my wifes grandfather had really passed away. I mean, really. Tact, anyone?

Plus, they're half gov't and half private so they can get away with anything. Hell, they own 98% of the phone lines in this country :rolleyes:

For the most part though, customer service is spotless in this country. The rest of the world should take a hard look

14. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I think, if they were pull such actions with me, I would be willing to show them both my Japanese and American bad sides in glorious Japanglish. I'm usually pretty willing to deal with a situation but when it breaks loose, someone is in trouble. :D

By the way, my phone is still going strong. I think a Sprint store is going to get a letter congratulating them on their uneven customer service.

15. acceber macrumors regular

I was in a car accident recently and called up some people for legal advice. Every single person I spoke to said that it was automatically my fault and didn't seem interested in hearing my side of the story. I hate it how people get discriminated against because of false stereotypes like that. I happen to be an extremely careful driver. It's the "they all do that" attitude about young people and driving in particular.

The issue is still being resolved right now. I have a $AU233 fine to pay which I'm appealing.
    The driver of the other car that ran into me called me up and apologised for his part in the accident but said that I had to take the full responsibility of paying that money. Totally sucks. Like I have that kind of money to throw around anyway.

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

A while back, Shell Oil was running an ad campaign targeting teen drivers. They showed 4 teens in the parents' Ford Taurus, eating and playing music, but not really paying attention. Suddenly, they're surprised and hit the brakes...and apparently, something else.

While it's not uncommon, I see the 25-35 y.o. crowd in SUVs and minivans to be more hazardous because they don't think they have to pay attention to the road. They apparently think that years of (poor) experience driving makes them better than other drivers.

Keep a smile on your face. Eventually, you'll dig out of the pit.

17. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

YahooBB

My Yahoo!BB DSL modem has been acting funky for the past 6 months or so, and finally today we decided to call them and ask for a replacement. Tech support was friendly, but unfortunately stupid. The tech support woman asked us all sorts of questions: Do you have satelitte TV? How many phone jacks do you have? Where is the modem plugged in? The ethernet cables aren't twisted, are they? DO YOU USE GAS AT HOME?? Finally the tech support woman said "Why don't you switch the modem off then on again, wait a day and call us back?" To which my wife exploded and said "LOOK, the modem doesn't work. It's been 6 months. How is 1 more day going to make an ***** difference?? Is it that hard to just send us a new one??!! Lemme talk to your supervisor." The woman put us on hold for about 10 seconds, then came back, took our address and said a new modem would be here tomorrow.

Add Yahoo! Japan to the list of companies I hate :rolleyes:

18. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

<Adds Yahoo! Japan> :D :eek: At least, you got your new modem.

I don't even call BellSouth DSL support. The people they had in Georgia weren't great but they were at least, interactive. The people in India (or wherever they really are) are concentrating more on keeping their accent straight and reading English than they are on fixing the problem. Their DNS in Miami goes down quite often but when I call I get the same routine. When I ask "Can't you just call the people in that building and just let them know?" to which they respond with a great deal of silence. :D Then, they start over. "Are you sure that...?"

19. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Add USEN to that list there, 5300cs.

My internet stops working. OK. I call up. "The USEN support phone line is busy. Please call again." OK. An hour later, I call again. Same message. Hmm. OK. I call the next day. Same message. Repeat -- for a whole week. Now I am so angry I am ready to go to the USEN office with a machine gun and blast the whole place to dust. OK. Calm down. I go to the USEN website from my friend's house. I see there is a phone number for the support center different from that which was given to us when we signed up. Great. I call that number. Someone picks up. I tell them the situation and the fact that the phone number for the support center that they gave us never works. No reaction. Fortunately, 2 days later the internet is working again. Great. So I call them up (the original number still doesn't work) and I tell them to make sure they don't bill me for that one week. They say, simply, "Can't be done." Goodbye USEN.

irmongoose

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...as Cingular users are about to find out. :rolleyes:

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Customer service isn't what it used to be when I first came here in 1996. If it's because jobs are being taken by recent high school and junior high school graduates though, then I can see why :(

come on koizumi, do something useful or get out of office :mad:

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Never delt with them. I have delt with a company called Waste Management. They rent trash dumpsters, etc. Well, the good thing is they got me a dumpster on the day I needed it. However, when they picked it up, they took down my neighbors phone and cable line. It took them two weeks to reconnect them to the house (they still worked, just lying across my driveway and his yard, creating a hazard). And they left a rut about 20 ft. long, 8 inches wide, and 6 inches deep across their yard. Which stopped about 3 inches from their house. :rolleyes: Oh, being the good neighbor, I payed for the repairs for their yard, since I was going round and round with Waste management for about 6 weeks, to no avail. With 20/20 hindsite, I should have suggested to my neighbors they call the police for having their lawn vandalized. :D

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Tutornet:

Their Software suucckkss. their site may be down now but their software is still used in many distance learning programs.

I have not found one Web Browser that renders their 'Virtual classroom' software well. No browser on 10.x works.

They said they were making it work, it never did.

I went to the apple store, checked what they had to say.

'Yeah I had to use that software... I never got it to work well' :mad:

And yeah, they never got it to work.