They Call it "Hydra"

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by City of Glass, Apr 27, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded a new, multi-user text editing application called "Hydra" . . . (link below):

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/hydra.html

It's not Shareware, so you don't have to worry about the annoyance of nag messages -- like the beautiful but persistent "Acquisition."

About Hydra: I love it. I use it now more than any other text editing application, which is something. For screenplays, I used to pull out the old "Final Draft" -- but Hydra handles that kind of project in a much more intelligent way.

It's also a "concise program," using very little memory while being both graceful and efficient. There are no ungainly panels of "endless" features to tinker with here. Just a quaint text-editing program which sometimes causes me to wish that every document could be ASCII.

Anyway, don't forget to download it . . .

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

2. macrumors 6502a

Huh? How can a simple text editor compare with Final Draft? I can see using Hydra for projects where real-time collaboration was a necessity, but for single-writer screenplays, nothing compares to Final Draft.

3. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Yeah.....How can it be better than Final Draft?!?!?!

Final Draft is so easy and formats everything so very well....

4. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I've been using Hydra for like a month. I love it. Although I haven't connected with anyone to edit a document, it's prefered over emacs or TextEdit.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I didn't say that Hydra was "better" or more feature-rich than Final Draft. It isn't . . . but it's more fun to use. More intelligent. Concise. Tighter.

The difference between a new, speedy 350Z and a luxurious, late-nineties Semi Truck.

C.o.G.

6. macrumors 65816

maradong

It looks really great. That s all i can say :)

7. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Anyone tried to link two Hydras together?