They just don't get it, do they?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 4, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://nytimes.com/2004/05/04/international/middleeast/04CND-WARD.html

From the New York Times:

This guy should be out on his ear. Not only is he responsible for the Guantanamo regime, he actually recommends the very abuses that all the scandal is about. This is NOT HUMANE TREATMENT. A large proportion of the people held at Abu Ghraib have not been processed in accord with the GC, have not been charged and are probably nothing to do with anything.

Clearly the lesson has not been learnt. More of the same self-serving, dishonest rationalisation of outrageous misconduct. :mad: :mad:

2. toontra macrumors 6502

I was also struck by the absurdity of calling in the guy from Guantanamo as if this was some kind of recommendation of professional excellence.

At least I guess it means he will settle in pretty quickly, going from one centre of US human rights abuse to another. As to the title of the thread, I think you're right, skunk - they just don't seem to get it!

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I especially love this bit:
    I'd love to hear what these other "50-odd coercive techniques" are! And "legitimate" according to whom???

All illegal, and who is going to authorize them? Him, or a private contractor, or an MI guy? He doesn't exactly nail it down...

Why four days ago when he's been in place for a month and they've known about it for several? Obviously because he approved these methods. Great. And what does he mean by "less intrusive"? Out of camera range?