They Knew All Along, Wii Didn't...

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, May 5, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't know if they planned to call it Wii from the beginning. I've heard from many sources that one of the reasons that Wii was chosen was that "we" sounded very personable especially compared to 360 or PS3. Assuming the same people worked on both this video and naming the system, it only makes sense that they felt by using "we" over and over they were being personal. Again, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this was all planned, but I wouldn't deny it either.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I suppose....

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You don't sound too conviced. :eek:

I'm just trying to be neutral and give a possible alternative explanation.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nah, I agree with you, I just never looked at it that way, and it kinda took away the awesomeness factor about it. The "potential" truth hurts :rolleyes:

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

is it just me, or is that video extreamly annoying?

"we expanded the definition of"....

god, if i here that one more time i think i'm going to shoot something. :cool:

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We expanded the definition of gameplay? Picture of the cube? Whilst I love my cube I dont think it expanded gameplay in any new way, shape or form.

The hookup to GBA was nominal at best, a bongo controller? mmm :confused:, a next gen mario game that wasn't AS good as any other Mario and no way near as monumental experience as Mario64........

We expanded the definition of wireless?

Wavebird. Chunky, No Rumble.... Really expanding the definition :rolleyes:

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh no. You don't bash the Wavebird.

The Wavebird was the first wireless controller on the market that had absolutely no lag through walls and decent reception and works as well as a wired controller. Nowadays Logitech also makes good wireless, but Nintendo beat them too it and was the first (and in fact only, not counting XBox 360) company to come out with first party wireless controllers.

Oh and I do agree, the video is annoying.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I've always loved my Wavebird... best wireless pad I've ever used... and pretty much identical to the standard controller in layout. Awesome.

10. colocolo macrumors 6502

No lag through walls? Did you actually played with a wall between you and the console? Man, you're REALLY good! :eek: :D

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wavebird is the best controller i own.

except when i throw it it doesn't get stopped by a wire T_T

its how i have already broken one

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup, I rule :p

Actually, I did play through a wall. I had a friend stay in the room with the console and I went to see how far back I could go and still play.

Went to the opposite end of my house before it started skipping. Like two walls between me and the system.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If Luke Skywalker can do it with a blindfold, you should be able to play through walls! :eek: ;) :D

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wavebird was heavy but great......i always throw it at the TV and it never cracked....thanks nintendo!:)

Bless

15. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

How could you! Poor Wavebird.

Don't bash the Wavebird, Nintendo did a great job with it, and did it the right way.

16. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Is it a trick on my eyes, or was there a very brief flash of Revolution right at the end? Had they already released pictures of Revolution when this video was made? (I call it Revolution here because it was long before it was called Wii)

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought it was there, too. I think *that* was intentional.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It is there, with 2006 infront of it. *has 10mb .mov version from way back*

Annoying vid. "we", smart reference if true.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This is from the Leipzig gaming conference in Germany, I think it was after E3 2005 when Nintendo showed the Revolution.
    EDIT: August 17th, 2005. Yup. After E3.

20. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Not true.

The Logitech wireless controllers for the PS2 and XBOX came out long before the WaveBird.

They also included rumble functions, with two settings.

And for the record, I dislike the Wavebird for that reason alone.

On the topic of the name for the console, I doubt they knew that early into it. Probably just a coincidence.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Google tells me that the Logitech PS2 wireless controller came out on 09/17/2002, and the Wavebird's release date was 06/13/2002. That would put the Wavebird first. And either way, Wavebird is the first actually usable first-party wireless controller on the market.

22. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats true the wavebird was defiantly the first of its kind the logitech's followed a couple of months later....

ShadoW

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Who cares who came first on consoles :rolleyes:

Logitech & Gravis had cordless pc pads way before wavebird.
    Logitech subsequent cordless xbox and ps2 pads are the best examples of pads.

The fact that Nintendo designed the rumble pack and changed the course of controller design, back in the early days of N64 (with lylat wars).

Then took that feature out of its cordless pad was taking a BIG step back for me.

Especially when you look at games like Animal Crossing or Zelda:Four Swords & Windwaker, where the rumble is an important feature for finding stuff, making the wavebird redundant if you want to experience the game as it was meant to be played.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

*shrugs* I played through Wind Waker and part of Four Swords with no rumble (heck, I played through Four Swords in co-op using a GBA SP!).

Fact is that Nintendo made the first wireless console pad that was actually perfectly usable in any game with no glitches. Logitech came second. So, simply, don't diss it. You don't have to praise it, but don't diss it either. It was innovative.

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yeah i played through wind waker without the rumble either.

I actually prefer to not have rumble in most of my games