They puffed "white" and rang the bells

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CanadaRAM, Apr 19, 2005.

1. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Saw that, but when do they announce the new Pope?

D

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

here is a cnn link
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/index.html

looks like an announcement is imminent, wonder who....found out something interesting though, i thought a unanimous vote was neccissary to elect a new pope, but its only two-thrids vote.....and a majority after 12days....learn more each day

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I heard they can't tell if its white or black. I also heard there haven't been any bells.

Edit: I guess I'm wrong. I must have read a slightly older article;

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the doors at the balcony are opened at this moment .. now it's only a matter of minutes

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And the new Pope is...

Ratzinger (ultra conservative) sorry for typos...

Benedict the 16th

--------------------------------

From the BBC.co.uk

The suggestion that 78-year-old Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger could become the next pope has raised eyebrows in his native Germany - a country where the Catholic church does not arouse the same passions as it does in Italy or Poland.

Cardinal Ratzinger was born into a traditional Bavarian farming family in 1927, although his father was a policeman.

His studies at the seminary were interrupted during the war when he was drafted into an anti-aircraft unit in Munich.

His supporters say his experiences under the Nazi regime convinced him that the church had to stand up for truth and freedom.

But his critics say he stands for suppressing discussion within the church.

Wolfgang Cooper, a commentator on religious affairs in Germany, says the cardinal could become a divisive figure.

"I think if Cardinal Ratzinger was pope a large distance could grow between the leadership of the church and the faith," he says.

The cardinal is a "scientist" who "prefers intellectual discussions", says Mr Cooper, whereas many Catholics want priests and bishops "who will touch the hearts".

Cardinal Ratzinger has been a head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - the Vatican's guardian of orthodoxy since 1981.

As such, he has also taken some uncompromising political positions, calling for pro-abortion politicians to be denied communion during the US election campaign for instance, or arguing that Turkey should not be admitted into the European Union.

As pope he would give the church a clear, if sometimes radical voice.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

or better ;)
    Benedict the XVI.

well 25 years ago he was a liberal but nowadays he's a conservative ... could have been worse ..(at least he is already 77)

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I guess not, i would have guessed that G5 powerbooks were out :rolleyes:

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

BBC making an error ;) the insitution of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (congregatio pro doctrina fidei) was founded as Congregatio Romanae et universalis Inquisitionis on the 21 July of 1542 ;)

it just got renamed twice

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well so much for hopes of a more modern Church.

Ratzinger's got some big shoes to fill.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

In St Malachy's prophecy of the Popes till the end of time, the indication of who this Pope would be is "Gloria Olivae" or "the Glory of the Olive".
    The Order of Saint Benedict – not St. Malachy – has claimed that this pope will come from its ranks and Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its final fight against evil.
    And we now have Pope Benedict XVI. It makes one wonder if things are done to fit the prophecy or the prophecy is correct. If the former, what happens with the 269th Pope?

I am not Catholic, and neither defend or attack the validity of this prophecy. I submit it for your digestion.
    I personnaly go by Rev. 3:3 .

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, and iAgree with both your points :D

14. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

78 years old. Wow, looks like we may get to guess the color of the smoke every few years at this rate!

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to not having to hear about it any more.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh goody. A conservative pope. One who's not even liked in his own country:

A recent poll for Der Spiegel news weekly showed Germans opposed to him becoming pope outnumbered supporters 36 percent to 29 percent.

17. CanadaRAM thread starter macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, "Purient Details from the Michael Jackson Trial"

;)

18. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I'm a bit disappointed in the Cardinals' choice, but I can see the political/transitional reasons. There are many disappointed that the new Pontif is not from Latin America, where more than half the world's Catholics reside... but they should not be. Now, if the next Pope is not from Latin America, then even I would start to become uneasy.

Benedictus XVI is VERY conservative. He's a hawk. I just hope he does not offend/ruffle too many feathers during his Papacy.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is an oxymoron anyway. The entire purpose of the papacy (try that three times fast!) is to resist change. To that end, the Cardinals made the perfect and obvious choice.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

But for the next one, don't you think they'll choose another Italian? Three non-Italians in a row seems unlikely, to me, who knows nothing about the Catholic church.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't mean an actual modern church, just one that is slightly more modern than the previous one. I'm aware that cardinals are, by design, conservatives, but I think JP the Two did a decent job of moving forward. At least in certain areas he did.

Would you suggest that the cardinals made an imperfect choice in 1978?

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Let's be realistic. The Catholic church does evolve and is more modern than it was in the past. I'm pretty sure they don't advocate Inquisitions or Crusades any more.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

24. iGav macrumors G3