'They Put Us in a Cell and Forgot Us'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 11, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-kar11jul11,0,5400286.story

2. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Yes, 2 months in a prison and destruction of a Passport and personal property are effective.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps not the adjective I'd use....

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

slightly OT, but...

i'm in north carolina at the moment, waiting for my flight returning me to chicago. i've just gone through US customs and immigration and, imo, it's worse than ever. i've never been arrested, i pay my taxes, i haven't had a parking ticket in years. but i'm made to feel like a criminal.

i couldn't even guess how many times i've crossed a country's borders (i've been to about 20 countries, many more than once), and aside from my entry to romania in 1993, this one was the worst. actually, i take it back -- the romanian officials didn't make me feel like a criminal, that was more like a scene from a fellini film.

what does it say that other countries make me feel more welcome than my "home?"

btw, it's even worse for foreigners in the US. they're made to give fingerprints from each index finger and have their photograph taken. that's what i know about, anyway.

one more thing -- i left a post-terrorist-attack london. every passenger got a thorough questioning (5 minutes) from security before even approaching the ticket desk. but my english agent was polite, good-humored and respectful. kudos to the brits for being so damned reasonable in the past week.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

i would say mr. kar's treatment at the hands of his own government was effective if it made everyone wake up and realise we've gone off the deep end.

since the military detained someone who was not a terrorist, who *is* an american citizen, and who is now sueing them, i would call that the opposite of effective.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Depends on the meaning of "effective".

I know what you mean, Zim. The rudeness foreigners - even white anglos - encounter on entering the US is astonishing. And I'm seriously wondering whether I want my biometrics stored by the US government.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which might suggest that something is wrong with the procedure, but nooooo.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

At least you have a choice. :mad:

Of course that means you couldn't come here but whether that's a great loss or not I don't know.

The new ID card in the UK seems to have gained momentum this last week. Do you think that it will actually fly?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course it would be a pity. I may have to make do with the t-shirt.

I hope not. I can't see how it would have made any difference anyway. I think it's a lousy idea for all sorts of reasons, the most obvious ones being that it's nothing like 100% accurate, which means that lots of people will be put through unnecessary trauma when they don't "register" correctly, it would lead to a sense of false security because once you're "through" the turnstile you'll be regarded as "clean", and free to do what you like, and how long before a scanner is available which can "read" your card in your pocket and copy it for identity theft? Yet another hare-brained, half-assed scheme.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about your biometrics (and really don't want to know), but if you come to this part of the country, I'll try to promise you a non-rude time.

Incidentally, lest you think rude treatment at the hands of immigration agents is unique to the US, I can tell you've I've been grilled rather discourteously by the self-same upon entry to your country, and this was long before 9-11. I felt hurt for a moment and then figured they were just doing their job.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

12. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Way to look at the bright side. While we're at it, at least they weren't buried up to their necks with honey on their heads.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rice pilaf means never having to say you're sorry. :(

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Iraq suspects suffocate in heat

link

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They must have learnt that technique from your boys in Kunduz in Afghanistan. In that case, it was more like three hundred prisoners, and when they opened the containers a few days later the bodies had liquefied in the heat....

Remember this?

http://home.no.net/dawatnet/secret_history.htm

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

See, and the friends of mine who are soldiers and would never do anything like this... this kinda makes them look bad and get shot at. Please stop making us look bad. We're supposed to be the good guys.