They still don't get it.........

Discussion in 'Community' started by SiliconAddict, Dec 23, 2003.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

The Long Road to Yukon

For those of you who don't know Yukon is MS's name for their next version of SQL.

What is wrong with this picture?

For Microsoft posturing that they are finally starting to focus on security the above quote suggests this is far from the truth. Security needs to be considered, implemented, and maintained from day one. I’m not really sure what to make out of the above quote. How do you "clean up" security if you have 5-10 days to go over 1 million or more lines of code?!?!! :confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How can you have a go at them when they are trying to make sure there are no security flaws? :rolleyes: If when the product is released it has **** loads of security holes then start pulling them appart, but this is just stupid IMO.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They do get it, but it's unlikely they're going to be thorough about doing anything.

They may yet allow their software to be secure.

4. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

what's the point, I've had more the a few security updates in my software update. Security holes are just a part of the OS, end of story, it's just how quick can the company jump on them once they are found.

5. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

No my point was that they take a week or two to go over their code to look for security holes. This sounds as if it’s the same routine as before: Security as an afterthought. Shouldn’t this be dealt with earlier then this stage of software development? Sure this may be a good cleanup tactic but really what is 5-10 days of going over 1 million + lines of code going to accomplish?

And did I say there were going to be a million holes? No. You assumed this. Reading appears to be a lost art. My point is that the method they are taking to secure the software appears to be similar to how Microsoft has done it in the past.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

@SiliconAddict

How do you know that they aren't keeping an eye out for security flaws whilst developing, but as an extra check are also performing a thorough re-check?

Did I say you said there were going to be "a million holes"? No, I don't think I did. Reading appears to be a lost art. :p

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Once a SQuirreL... always a SQuirreL

Let me get this straight.... MS is looking to develop a Finder?

And they've spent a DECADE at it?

And they're basing it on SERVERS?

to quote the venerable George Carlin: "This is really stupid."

:rolleyes:

8. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

It's implied with "**** loads of security holes then start pulling them apart" that I'm expecting such an even to occur.