They still make X-Box 360, right?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Obviously, the release of the PS3 (which practically no one owns because of availability) and the Wii (which is so much fun people are breaking it accidentally (www.wiihaveaproblem.com) have been in the news quite a bit, but there is this other system out, right... what's it called?

Seriously though, no problem with all the PS3/Wii talk, but I'm about to, today, go out an buy a 360. They're easier to get a hold of, I just played through Gears of War with a friend of mine on casual and then on hardcore and it was an absolute blast, and I have an 34" HDTV to go with it, so that will make it nice.

I'm not really all that tempted by the Wii, because I'm a DDR loyalist, and a PS2 (which I own) is just fine for that sort of activity. I would ADORE a PS3, but it appears that now is not the best time to buy them (both for games and for the 1st gen problems/price) so I can wait until later to get one retail.

It's not a matter of money, but it's been a long time before people have flat out said what they think about 360 (although it has, obviously, been compared to the PS3 a lot) - I'm just curious as how people feel about it a full one year after its release. I know it's a lame thread to start, but considering I'm about 3 hours from dropping 600 on this (400 + games)... you know. All the input I can get would be nice.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well, I think it's great, and looking into 2007 it's just crazy excellent.

My main gripes with 360 is that it can't do M4P audio tracks purchased from iTunes (hey, nothing but a iTunes/iPod can) and the price of the Wireless accessory.

Get something like Connect360 and you have quite a lot you can do above and beyond gaming. To that end though, there is a lot of good gaming to be had, but not nearly as much as we are going to see next year. And yeah, GoW rocks! Especially in co-op. Downloadable game demos are awesome as well, though many of the demos fall short of the actual retail package (meaning you might play a demo and think the game is crap, when it is actually very good).

Anyway, it's good and I enjoy it... but...

Honestly though, with prices on last-gen games going down so much I've had a chance to really expand my GameCube collection, and I must say it's been some of the most fun I've had on a system in a long time. It really is vastly underrated, I have nearly 20 games for it now and they are all extremely good.

To each their own though, I'm happy to have the 360 just by looking at the 2007 release list! (Do I keep mentioning 2007?)

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Get Rainbow Six Vegas also - I love it

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PS2 DDR compared to the Wii? Do you even understand how silly that sounds? DDR is basically giant buttons as a floor mat (and works well, I love it myself), the Wii is more than just that you know. Gyroscopes, sensors galore, "virtual hands" etc.

But yea it's something I've been saying - Why pay 450 quid for a PS3 when you can get an Xbox for 270 with so many more games that look better? Short of the BluRay functionality.

360. Year after release? Short of the few minutes of fun I had with DeadRising, Saints Row (waiting on GTA4 myself)... theres nothing really pulling me in yet. No Halo, no Panzer Dragoon Orta, no GTA4. If the Wii didn't have TP there'd be nothing pulling me in there either, just to get the fanboys off me :D . But right now the 360 looks a little too middle of the road for me. If it had tilt sensitive controllers that would push the deal for me. Just something new with the controller please.

5. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I love the 360. Best console I've ever owned. I did however just pick up a PS2 slim along with Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, Soul Calibur III and Dance Dance Revolution Supernova. I figured I may as well so I have some cheap games to play while waiting for the huge 360 releases (Mass Effect!).

6. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Just quickly, you say, "How can you like DDR when the Wii is so much more advanced..." and you are of course right.

However, as I said, I'm a DDR loyalist. Mashing buttons on a floor or no, I love it. It's a better workout than anything I can see about the Wii. I mean, you cannot play DDR on heavy for more than 5 minutes if you are out of shape. Plus, DDR music is like crack. It's horrible, and yet grrrrreat. Cartoon Heroes? Can't Stop Fallin' in Love (Speedy Mix)? Speed over Beethoven? Maxx Unlimited? A-ing a 9-footer without any speed modifications? It's awesome.

7. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Hey shackle, I'm new to this whole DDR thing (never played before and still waiting for mine from Amazon), which version would you recommend?

8. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Wuh oh - gotta keep this thread on topic, but I'll briefly editorialize.

PS2 is the best system for DDR. There are 5 DDR games for it - DDRMax, DDRMax2, DDR Extreme, DDR Extreme 2, and the newest, DDR SuperNova. I like DDRMax2 and Extreme a lot. Extreme 2 is good also, and I'm not that far into SuperNova yet to really comment. An important thing to know about DDR is that, though there are sequals, etc, the guts of the game (playing to a song) never changes, so the newer versions just basically give you newer songs.

Another thing is, a nicer pad will really make DDR more enjoyable. I started with the one that came out of the box, then a Red-Octane 3.0 (which is ... pretty good, but tears eventually), to my CobaltFlux now (which is solid as a rock and perfect... but very, very expensive). It's up to you how much money you want to spend on the thing.

On an unrelated note, I bought F.E.A.R. also (to play on my friend's 360) and it's pretty good so far. I was kind of hoping to be downright freaked out by it, but so far it's just very scary. The environiments are pretty generic though - I feel like I'm just fighting through all these clones to get to the next scary/creepy scene.

9. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I have the 360 and love it. Just make sure you get Xbox Live when you get it. At only $50 a year, its the best money you will spend thats related to the console. It's integrated so tightly into the console, I can't see how I could live without it.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

360=best console I've ever had. Gears of War, Viva Pinata I'm having hours and hours of fun

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm considering a 360 JUST on the look of Assassin's Creed, due out next spring. Looks amazing.

I might get a Wii too, once some more titles are out for it.

And I will get a PS3 once there's a Fumito Ueda game out for it, price cut or no.

12. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

The XBOX 360s are selling very well - it makes sense that no one's talking about them, though, in that they've been out for over a year.

Gears of War has been the second-best selling video game for the XBOX ever (behind Halo 2), which says a lot about the success of this system.

Regardless of how well the Wii and PS3 do this Holiday Season, Microsoft will have sold over 6 million of their Xbox 360s by the end of the year. Nintendo will likely sell near 1.5-2 million, and PS3 will round the rear with around a million or so sold.

Like everyone above has noted, too, 2007 is going to be a great year for the Xbox, with Halo 3 being released for Christmas 2007. The Wii will do fantastically, but I almost hate to compare it with another console, as its innovation and price point put it in a league of its own. It will take developers a few years to utilize the power of the PS3, and by then we might be hearing about the Xbox Vista or whatever they plan on calling it...:p

13. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I just got mine and I'm LOVING it. Definitely worth the price compared to the PS3. And the fact you have an HDTV you'll get the full dose of those sexy graphics

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I really, really want an Xbox 360. I'm hoping I can pick one up a few weeks after Christmas after a few bills are paid.

I've recently become addicted to Madden '07, and can't wait to check it out for the 360.

That, in addition to my Wii, and I'll be absolutely set.

Like Haoshiro said, 2007 is looking to be pretty freaking sweet in the gaming world.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you want to get into technicals, there is a DDR for the Gamecube and the Wii can play GC games.

16. wako macrumors 65816

Hold your gripe to Apple, Microsoft has nothing to do with it, and they cant do anything about it either. ;)

17. shortyjj macrumors regular

I picked one up this weekend (lured by Microcenter's $200 back deal) and after watching a bunch of video demos at my local Game Crazy, I have no doubt that I made the right choice: the upcoming lineup looks very strong indeed. It doesn't hurt that you can pick up used copies of most titles for $15-45.

For those who were like me, sitting on the fence between the Wii and 360, there is a nice piece over at IGN showing the perspective of an uber gamer / graphics whore:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/750/750418p1.html

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My friend picked up a 360 just for Oblivion till he gets his gaming PC up and running, other than that he isn't going to buy a single game for it.

We have all decided that if a game is multiplatform we are getting it for the Wii because it is just more fun. He is getting a PS3 as well.

I have the Wii, my brother has a PS3 my friend has a 360. I take the Wii any day.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

What is the definition of a hardcore gamer? I have been playing video games since i was 4, when i got my NES and have not stopped does that make me a hardcore gamer? Or would I be a hardcore gamer if Graphics were my #1 meaning in a game?

20. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

•Someone who gets a console close to launch.
    •Someone who doesn't buy crap games based off tv shows and movies (I am serious about this, LOTR and a couple of others are the only decent movie-based games).
    •Someone who doesn't ask n00b questions like "What's a Wii?", "Playstation 3 is out soon? I just got a PS2 when it came out last week".
    •Someone who plays games frequently. And doesn't play dancing games :D
    •Someone who likes different genres of games and doesn't dismiss something because of graphics alone.
    Just IMO.

Also, to anyone with an Xbox 360: Go and Buy Dead Rising - it's awesome.

21. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Seems those two are a bit at odds. "Likes different genres" but OH NOES NOT DANCING! :rolleyes:

22. ericsthename macrumors regular

I'd say a more empirical definition of a "hardcore" gamer would follow such a type of logic:

you are a gamer if you play games more than just occasionally

you could be considered a serious gamer if you spend more time playing than 50% of all gamers

you could be considered a hardcore gamer if you game more than 50% of all serious gamers.

in the end, by my simple formula you are a hardcore gamer if you spend more time gaming than 75% of all other gamers.

I say this because categories such as knowledge of games and gaming skill dont necessarily reflect on a person's gaming habits. You could know all there is to know about which games/systems are out, and hate gaming. Likewise, you could game everyday and still be terrible at it - does this mean you arn't a hardcore gamer?

If I've taken this definition way too far, blame the logic/reasoning and statistics courses....

23. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I still crank my Atari 2600, am I hardcore or old skool ? :cool:

24. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Haha.. I was waiting for that one. Italics = sarcasm or joke. Italics + :D = Obvious.