They're Here- 2006 Range Rovers

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Mar 8, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I just checked out Land Rover's site for the first time in a while.

They have more info on the 2006 Range Rover Sport and new details on the 2006 Range Rover. The main difference between the two is the sport is supercharged and more of a sporty interrior. The 2006 Range Rover (normal) has a new grill, head lights, tail lights, better visibility, and some new features such as intergrated BT phone support, new entertainment package, better GPS i think, etc.

I am tempted, very tempted to get one when they come out.

Lets see what happens.

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

I love Range Rovers. My first one was a 94. My current one is a 2005 Westminster.

Let us know how the 06 feels.

makisushi

p.s. it is spelled SURGEON not SURGEN

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i thought your signature used to brag about having a few audis... not landrovers... do i have you confused with someone else? or did you switch up the fleet? :rolleyes:

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

For what it's worth, I work for an auto warranty company and we (and most competitors) will no longer cover Land Rovers. Losses were staggering. Average claim was over $1,100 (average for all others is $527).

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Now all I need is for my money tree to flourish...

6. iGav macrumors G3

It's a shame that Land Rover didn't decide to go with the Aston V12 for the Sport... that really would have made it something special.

7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'd still have a defender, or a series one landie. not a big fan of the rr honestly

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

How can anyone drive an "off road vehicle" with leather seats and plush interior?

:mad:

Defenders are cool, proper off road, funtional and basic, the rest are for for poser with small willies.

9. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I like Defenders a lot too. Unfortunatly they are not available in the U.S. and if you want to buy one you can buy a used one with 75,000 miles on it for 50,000. Not worth it. Very few people who have Range Rover actually drive them off road, you could I guess if you wanted too.

Yes I did have an audi, but I traded it in for the mercedes just because I wanted even better gas mileage because the CDI gets like 40mpg highway.

10. makisushi macrumors 6502

do you really think people buy them for the offroad capabilities?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Range Rovers arn't my favs but i do like their new look

ill never be able to afford one of those either sadly.

12. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

How many consumers buy Hummers and drive them off road. All the people I know of that have Hummers refuse to take them off road, garage them, and treat them like babies. One guy refuses to drive it in the winter or when its raining.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can you do me a favor and send your friend this link please? :D - www.fuh2.com (NSFW or little kiddies!)

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd love to own the new Discovery (whatever they are calling it), but our art director had a Land Rover that has had nothing but electrical problem after electrical problem. Another friend had to have a transmission replaced (daily road use only) and yet another friend had chronic window leaks.

I love the look, I ilove ther performance, I love the mystique. But I am not plunking doen 44K for something with problems.

I'm in the market, and considering a Honda Pilot, though a new 3-series is tempting, and then this little voice tells me "your 4-year-old car is paid for."

And I want a new G5.

:(

15. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea, Land Rovers are not the most reliable. With my 2001 the air suspension broke and cost a boat load to fix. My '01 also did have electrical problems. I haven't had anything with my 2004 yet so I guess I'm pretty lucky. The new LR3/Discovery 3 is very cool looking. I wish they didn't do the two step roof line on it though, I guess if they did not do the 2 step roofline it would look too much like the 2005 Pathfinder.

A lot of people around me seem have pilots or MDXs and they are very relaible being Hondas. The 3-series is so awesome looking. When they come out I'm definatly going for a test drive.

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Not really, i just think there wankers.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

You mean they're wankers. :rolleyes:

18. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Why thank you! [sarcasm]

19. vixapphire macrumors 6502

I wonder if that's still the case now that LR is owned by Ford. I currently own an '03 Jaguar S Type R and I'm not the first to say that Ford brought an incredible upward revision to Jag's standard of reliability, to the point that initial quality is second only to Lexus! In the near 15k miles I've put on this car I've had no problems at all, other than these worthless Continental Sport Contact tires that at nearly 10" wide seem to be nail-magnets...

The RR Sport is an interesting car. For one, it's built on the LR3/Discovery's smaller platform, but is fashioned to look like the Range Rover. For another, the supercharged version shares its drivetrain with my S-Type R (4.2 SC v8 and the same ZF 6-spd auto tranny that's also in the 7-series bimmer), which is very exciting. If they can keep the weight off the Sport, it will be the SUV to own - speed, control and reasonable fuel economy for what it is (i.e. a supercar w/ a truck body). If it's as bloated weightwise as most of the other SUV's out there, with that engine, I pity the suckers who'll be paying to gas those babies up!

v

20. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm not to sure on the RR Sport. It doesn't seem to have the heart of a land rover. Its too, i donno, too car based SUVish.

Its around $50 to fill up my Rovers and unfortuantly the gas prices are going up up up. Refular is estimated at $2.25 was it and my Rovers take premium. Also I wonder what diesel will cost?

21. vixapphire macrumors 6502

indeed, with gas prices going where they're going (the President just reissued his call to begin harvesting oil in the arctic reserves - which has not exactly proven a winning/popular issue for him - so that's how bad it appears to be getting), a volvo v70R is looking like a saner choice for cargo-capable performance. it's only got a 5-banger rather than a hoary v8, after all...

22. makisushi macrumors 6502

Um...why do you say that?
    I own one, and I don't think I am a wanker. I don't think EJ is either.
    Have you had a bad experience with an RR owner?

23. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think hes just an environmentalist who doesn't realize that there are a billion other SUVs on the road and companies will continue to make them because people won't stop buying them.

That at least is my experience with threads relating to SUVs on MacRumors.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I could bang on about the enviromental issues or the danger to pedestrians or what happens if you turn at high speed or trying to navigate through small lanes.

But i won't. ;)

What does REALLY piss me off is people who buy these biblical monstors and then use them to ferry there 2.4 kids around and buy the shopping.

If you want space buy a people carrier (i belive you lot call them Mini Vans)
    The Crysler (KNOW i've spelled it wrong!!) has these amazing seats that fold flat into the floor and all over the place - very impressive.

If you want a flash motor buy a Mercedes, even these big boys use less petrol/diesel than off road monstors.

Off roaders that have actually been used for that purpose look like the've just came back from a war zone, they don't have leather seats or plush interiors.

Of course in America they have people who would'nt be seen dead ina normal car, these twats are everywhere in every country, but the whole "bigger is better" ethos has perminated the minds of millions of simple mined morans.

On a last note, really quite surprised i got away with using the word Wankers, expected my post to be deleted! :p

25. makisushi macrumors 6502

True! I have an H2 to pull my boat and MacRumors members blasted me for that.

Oh well, I guess if it weren't for us, they would focus their anger elsewhere.