thick case: need pass-through extender for dock (and headphones)!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by terzinator, Mar 6, 2012.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

Feb 27, 2011
    iPhone cases are so danged thick (I have a speck), so when you sit them on a dock plug (like, the one I have in my car), it can't make a connection. I need to use an extender deal that can fit inside the small opening, and the one I have looks all stupid and I don't think it provides the best connection. (Gotta fiddle with it to make sure the audio sounds OK.) So, what's the best pass-through dock extender thingy you've found out there? (Or are they all the same?)

(This type of thing:)

Same for headphones... the headphone opening in the case is so slim that older headphones won't fit. I know I can get a 3-foot extender cable with small plug sleeves, but are there any headphone jack extenders you like that don't have a bunch of extra cabling?

maybe this one?

or this:

2. tonyyvo macrumors member

Aug 26, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
  3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Not all cases are. And some docks are more versatile than others.

...and be careful using a rigid headphone jack extender. You'll be exerting much more torque on the jack than you would if you had used a cable.
  4. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    Alice, TX
    How's the quality on the Radtech? I was thinking about picking one up but read some reviews stating they were falling apart.

It did look like the black cables on monoprice might fit an Apple Bumper case. I think I might try that for my car charger. I'm not going to use a dock inside and right now, I don't have any kind of speaker docks, so this would work out for my needs now.