thick case: need pass-through extender for dock (and headphones)!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by terzinator, Mar 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Feb 27, 2011
    iPhone cases are so danged thick (I have a speck), so when you sit them on a dock plug (like, the one I have in my car), it can't make a connection. I need to use an extender deal that can fit inside the small opening, and the one I have looks all stupid and I don't think it provides the best connection. (Gotta fiddle with it to make sure the audio sounds OK.) So, what's the best pass-through dock extender thingy you've found out there? (Or are they all the same?)

(This type of thing:)

Same for headphones... the headphone opening in the case is so slim that older headphones won't fit. I know I can get a 3-foot extender cable with small plug sleeves, but are there any headphone jack extenders you like that don't have a bunch of extra cabling?

maybe this one?

or this:

2. macrumors member

Aug 26, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
  3. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Not all cases are. And some docks are more versatile than others.

...and be careful using a rigid headphone jack extender. You'll be exerting much more torque on the jack than you would if you had used a cable.
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    Moulton, TX
    How's the quality on the Radtech? I was thinking about picking one up but read some reviews stating they were falling apart.

It did look like the black cables on monoprice might fit an Apple Bumper case. I think I might try that for my car charger. I'm not going to use a dock inside and right now, I don't have any kind of speaker docks, so this would work out for my needs now.