Thief-Catching Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mlw1235, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I just bought my new MB today and I love it. It is my first mac and it is sweet.

Anyway...today at the store the employee helping me out told me about this program that you can install on your computer and if it ever gets stolen then you can call up and as soon as the person tries to connect to the internet it reports it to them and then takes a picture of them using the iSight.

Anyone know what program I'm talking about??

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The program with working iSight phone home capability is Undercover

4. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You!!

Undercover was it!!

I'm going to college and I think this might be a good investment. For only $25!! It seems like this program is perfect.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a good piece of software, but just keep in mind smart thieves will just wipe the HD and reinstall the OS before connecting to the net to prevent such a thing from working.

However, the many dumb thieves out there would be caught by it... worth the investment, I'd say.

6. coastertux macrumors regular

Actually, if you set a firmware password, the thief can't just wipe the HD and reinstall the OS.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As Undercover points out in an FAQ linked from their main page. Very neat program...I'll have to think about trying it out.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The only option for a thief would be to swap out the drive before connecting to the Internet. However, I doubt anyone dumb enough to steal would think of doing this. A buddy of mine got his Laptop stolen last year. The thief sold it to someone on Craigslist. When the buyer got the laptop then found all of my friends data still on the computer. They called him up and gave him his laptop back. He thought it was a miracle... I thought he just got really lucky.

The best way to protect your laptop from theft is not allow it out of your sight.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple firmware passwords are easily reset, or at least easy enough for someone who could figure out where to get and install the appropriate OS.