Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Talk about bad karma. Link.

NEW YORK - A thief fleeing a jewelry store was killed when his bicycle was struck by a bus, police said.

Authorities said the 42-year-old man snatched a $2,000 gold chain from the Bronx jewelry store on Friday and was making his getaway. A store clerk and two bystanders were chasing the man on foot when he pedaled into an intersection and was hit by a fast-moving bus, police said.

The suspect was taken to a hospital, where he died from head injuries. Five passengers who were jostled when the bus slammed on its brakes were also examined at the hospital.

"He lost his life for $2,000," said the store's owner, Lakhwinder Singh. "He'd sell it for maybe only two or three hundred. That makes no sense."

The necklace was still missing, and may have been thrown from the scene or grabbed by a bystander after the accident.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
What was the bus fleeing from? And what was it doing in a jewelry store in the first place?

The bus was probably just a regular city bus, and it just happened to make its way across the same intersection as the thief at the same time. Serves him right, although that's really sad that the guy lost his life for a few hundred bucks.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What was the bus fleeing from? And what was it doing in a jewelry store in the first place?
I came here to post the same thing. ;)

I think the title (originally "Thief Hit By Bus Fleeing A NYC Jewelry Storw") needs a "while"... I'll add it now and fix the spelling...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Didn't anyone ever tell him to look both ways before crossing a street? Can't say I feel sorry for him though, after all he was stealing then fled without paying any attention to his surroundings.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I read this story in the paper the other day and I just started laughing. I've seen those guys run after they steal stuff and it always amazes me how they dodge and weave but don't get hit by cars. I guess lucks runs out eventually. heh.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Damn getting hit by a NYC bus....I wonder if it was one of those extended ones with the springy midsection...that had to hurt.
Well, it does say he was cycling, so he probably nearly hit someone on a pedestrian crossing, mounted the pavement for a few seconds to get round traffic, then ran a red light before the bendybus finally got him. That's if the bus driver wasn't aiming for random cyclists in the first place, like they normally do.

Throw a BMW X5 into this scene and you have all my pet road peeves.

Oh and $2000 gold chain? What was the store, Chav-Mart?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.