Thin MacBook with Bottom Mounted Optical Drive?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Unwiredview posts a report and photos from Apple's latest patent application.

The newest patent focuses on where to put the optical drive in a notebook computer.

In the patent description, Apple addresses the challenges of making laptops even smaller, and how the available area on the perimeter of the computer diminishes as the laptops get thinner. They do admit there are challenges to moving the optical drive to a different location however, including user familiarity and access door issues with a bottom mount.

2. macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Can't see that working myself. If you want to pop in a CD you have to shut the laptop, turn it over insert disk, turn in back the right way, open the lid, oh balls its the wrong CD....

3. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Sounds cool, but probbly wont see the light of day.

I like the old TI PB used in the patent image...

4. macrumors 65816

yoak

I wouldn´t mind having to turn the laptop over to insert a disk as long as it´s small.
    Great idea me thinks
    It´s not that often I need the optical drive on my laptop, but for others it might be a pain.

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Although the smaller the better except the screen and keyboard. I wouldn't want to import my CD collection to iTunes like this.

On the other hand, it is already imported in my case. :)

7. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Interesting concept, would work in a tablet style notebook than a laptop used predominantly on a surface.

8. L3X
    macrumors 6502a

ehh, i prefer the drives the way they are. i can deal with a laptop being 1 or 2 pounds heavier for an easily accessible drive.

9. macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Seems a little strange but if anyone can pull it off, Apple can.

10. macrumors 603

zelmo

I'd rather have a latch that lifts up a section of the keyboard where I can drop in a disk.

11. macrumors 6502a

Note the position of the hinges in some of the images and then cast your mind back to a few patents we saw that we didn't know how they could be implemented, then we met the iPhone.

The point is, this could potentially be implemented in a tablet, where it would work.

12. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I guess it could work in an ultra-portable computer, but in general it seems like a bad idea to have the drive on the bottom like that...

13. macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Cool idea, get it patented before someone steals the idea! :D

14. macrumors 68040

JFreak

I would prefer a laptop without any moving parts whatsoever. Not counting electrons, mind you. Hard drive is already bad enough and optical drives make it even worse. Could they eliminate those two, the future laptops would be insanely great!

15. macrumors newbie

Sea5onS

"...And it waists even more space..."

Spelling error FTL (really, a "homonym" error).

16. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the picture reminded me of the original sony playstation. :)

17. macrumors 603

Stella

Seems like an OK solution. I don't see the inconvience of having to turn the laptop upside down too bad - how many times do you use CDs?

( personally: i hardly ever use CDs - but that ofc differs from person to person )

18. macrumors 68000

lexus

I think the report is BS wastes is spelt wrong.

19. macrumors 6502a

Object-X

Don't like it

So, I have to pick up my laptop to put in a CD? Seems like a hassel. Weird :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 65816

Electrons don't move too fast. We did calculations in my 2nd physics class showing how an electron at the socket will take something like 3+ days to reach the lamp through a 6 foot cord. Neat stuff.

21. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Like the ToughBooks? Or do you mean actually under the keyboard proper rather than under the palm rests?

22. macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Why not have it under the keyboard? Just imagine the MBP keyboard popping up like a trunk and then inserting the dvd and slamming the trunk shut. I suppose it might feel awkward when typing? I kind of like the idea of slot loading drive that is on a slant going down in front of the space bar. Guess the whole slot loading thing would probably take up more space. How about just axing the internal drive and having a second battery bay that can either hold an extra battery for 10 hrs. of total battery life or hold the optical drive with 5 hrs. of total battery life.

Edit: Zelmo beat me to it.

23. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Huh, no more slot loading, that would really suck. Maybe if it was LCD mounted. that would be another story altogether!

24. macrumors 603

zelmo

Under the keyboard proper. Of course, I basically only use my CD drive to rip songs or watch a movie, so I'm not likely to use the keyboard while a disk is in there spinning away.

25. macrumors 68040

iSee

Is it April 1 today?

LOL - This is soooo stupid.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I can't wait to get my "flip-book."

Geeze, just take the optical drive out of the ultra portable!

And then make a really nice, thin add-on drive available.