Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've been saying this for years.

The above link is a blog commentary that I made December 12th 2003. It was for a "ethics and implications of technology" class.

Optical media is barbaric. End of story.

-Clive

Really an you get an '80GB Blu Ray SD Card'??? NOPE

So to you sir and to the gent you quoted i whole heartedly disagree!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If I see a touchscreen patent from Apple, and the picture shows an eMate, I'm not going to take it TOO seriously :)

I'm as happy as anyone to grasp at "ultrathin MacBook" straws though! Preferrably with 9" widescreen and smaller keys... and a GPU! Make the optical drive external for all I care--or make it snap on the bottom in a chassis that offers extra battery and ports.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
I also think it's a genius idea, but at the same time insanely impractical. Some people say that "it's not that impractical i mean how often do i use my cd drive." that's probably true but all this is for is making it thinner and the converse argument is how much thinner and isn't it pretty thin to begin with. Seriously how thin does it *need* to be. Plus i don't care if you're a mac or pc guy, you're gonna look pretty stupid being the guy in starbux who has to turn his computer over to put in a cd. It will be the ultimate in vanity over function.

Yeah, it would make Macs look absolutely ridiculous. I really don't get why there is a "need" for super-thin laptops but if they are going to make one then just leave it out. Presumably it would use NAND RAM instead of a hard drive so why even bother with an optical drive?

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I've been saying this for years.

The above link is a blog commentary that I made December 12th 2003. It was for a "ethics and implications of technology" class.

Optical media is barbaric. End of story.

-Clive

There is also the little fact the CDs tend to get dirty and scratch, which is an annoying problem for almost anyone. The switch to a common data storage form, USB, Flash mem., whatever, would be very nice. We would go to BlockBuster and get a new-release on a mini-USB stick... :rolleyes:

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Interesting. I can see this working on a tablet computer, but not on a laptop. Seems like the hinge and latch mechanisms would be up for a little too much abuse in the case of a laptop.

And really, I can't see a benefit to turning my system over to put in a new CD. If I'm backing something up, or ripping a bunch of albums, or whatever, you'd be driven near insane.

On a tablet style PC, this might work well, and would help address the weight issue that most tablets suffer from.

Sam0r

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
A laptop optical drive s wat, 1.2cm thick? I would HATE to use a laptop that thin.

Also, how, exactly are they going to make the macbook thinner by popping it on the bottom? I really can't see how thats going to make it thinner, it'll just be annoying.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Definitely an interesting idea.

I just don't see this happening to a standard laptop computer. Like others have said, I don't see this in anything but a tablet.

Dale_Nx26

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
if this was microsoft's idea, you would all shun it. But it's apple, which makes it a good idea. Seriously, this is such a bad idea. How is this convenient? Lift up a 5 lbs notebook, scratch back of lcd when turned over, open then close drive, and flip it over again (not to mention open and close screen), VS. push button, insert disk, push button. If you want to argue, fine. I really want to read how this is a great idea.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I currently have a 15" MBP and am looking to get a 24" iMac this year. In the future, I want to diversify more and perhaps go Mac Pro with up to 30" display and ultra-portable.

With the ultra-portable, I would possibly be using it for things that did not require an optical drive, but occasionally I may need one, so I would always choose external over an awkward or Fugly™ design. Most using an ultra portable would have a home system, so disc related usage is more likely on that system and want it small and light as possible. Sony's TX series is an ideal size for me, but the optical drive takes up too much space I imagine, so make it external, (possibly included in the box), and the extra space gives us more battery space. That way rather than an ULV processor, you could go for a C2D, but still get 8 hours+ out of the battery.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Really an you get an '80GB Blu Ray SD Card'??? NOPE

So to you sir and to the gent you quoted i whole heartedly disagree!

If it was all about capacity, we would all be using tape drives. They make 200 GB tapes about the size of a modest power brick. Those are reliable enough, plus not susceptible to scratching. Why don't you use one of those?

Very few people require transportable storage over a few gigs. If you're going to be transporting raw HD movie content for the Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended edition), I'll grant you use of your blu-ray technology, but for most uses, (installing software, listening to tunes, watching movies, etc. keychain media is much safer and FASTER than optical media.

-Clive

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
How about dumping optical and getting Scotty to pump out some isolinear chips...;) small, can store a ton of data and just so damn useful - why do we continnually haveto think is circles for storage?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I don't like it on the bottom. Everytime you insert/eject a CD, you have to pick up your laptop. Why not add some of the ports to the back of the laptop and put the ODD on the side as it has been? That sounds easier to do than putting the ODD on the bottom.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Think different!

I really think Apple is making a tablet that doesn't even have a keyboard like usual PeeCee tablets. It'd be just a smaller version of an iMac with a battery basically, and of course a touch display.

For that kind of design such a mount makes sense.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I think Apple is looking to design something similar to this:

Panasonic Toughbook-W5

12.1" 1024x768 XGA anti-glare TFT Active matrix Color LCD
60GB HDD(shock-mounted and removable)
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) standard
Secure Digital (SD) Card
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG ntwk. connection 802.11a/b/g
Lithium Ion Battery Pack (10.65V, 5200mAh)
Battery Operation: 8hrs
Wide Area Wireless Solutions : EVDO, HSPDA
3-year limited warranty, parts & labor
1.0/1.8'' x 10.6'' x 8.3''
3.1 lbs

I wonder if Panasonic has a patent on that optical drive placement and design?:cool:

Wow. Yep that's pretty ugly. I agree with the others tho, this seems like a move for something ultra-portable. Personally, I think the whole drive door thing seems like a step backwards. Everything's moving/moved to slot-loading...and having a big old door to open up seems kind of archaic.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
No no, I've got it! Why don't they just pull the ole' Marry Poppins, then they won't have to worry about space at all! :p

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Why Think Smaller?

I don't necessarily care about smaller laptops, I'm more concerned with improving the overall speed and quality of the notebook. One of the main reasons I refuse to buy a 13" Mac Book is that it's TOO small. I don't want a tiny keyboard and a small screen to limit my work, my 23" monitor is small enough. I think Apple needs to get over this obsession with "small" (see iPod Nano, etc.) and start focusing on quality and speed (and when I mean quality I am referring to the many issues the first batch of Mac Book and Mac Book Pro's encountered). I love Apple, always will, but I don't think mounting an optical drive at the bottom of a notebook in order to make them thinner and smaller is paramount to improving laptop computers. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Having said that, I'd rather an ultra thin laptop with an external Firewire 800 drive.

And since many people have an external harddisk drive anyway (even the largest laptop drive isn't quite big enough), why not build an external harddisk with an optical drive included? And maybe a wireless base station with file server capability? (That's because my MacBook is usually on the move somewhere in the house; I would rather have the slow speed of a wireless network compared to Firewire, than the inconvenience of carrying the harddisk around as well, but that's just me. Others will prefer Firewire).

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I don't necessarily care about smaller laptops, I'm more concerned with improving the overall speed and quality of the notebook. One of the main reasons I refuse to buy a 13" Mac Book is that it's TOO small. I don't want a tiny keyboard and a small screen to limit my work, my 23" monitor is small enough. I think Apple needs to get over this obsession with "small" (see iPod Nano, etc.) and start focusing on quality and speed (and when I mean quality I am referring to the many issues the first batch of Mac Book and Mac Book Pro's encountered). I love Apple, always will, but I don't think mounting an optical drive at the bottom of a notebook in order to make them thinner and smaller is paramount in improving laptop computers. :(

So true.

Those who buy the Rev-A versions of these are going to get shafted in a big way.

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
If this device is on a tablet where the screen flips around to the back, then the optical drive would really be easy access. What would be the bottom of a closed tablet could really be the inside when the screen is flipped around - just lift up the screen to have access to the "bottom" and insert the disk.

My question is if the pressure on the actually computer by the user would interfere with the rotation of the disk?

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
meant for ultraportables

I dont think it is meant for macbooks (although they have used powerbooks in illustration, but that does not mean that is where apple may intend to put it). It will rather find its way into ultraportables like 9 or 10 inch ones where they cannot put optical slots on one side. and anyway since such ultraportable ones (think iPhone but a little bigger on each dimensions) are meant for handy use, turning them on opposite side like for macbook (like many folks are pointing out here) does not hold any meaning there. therefore, optical slot can be put right on the opposite side of the screen. So this makes me wonder if they will come out with 9-10 inch slate for ultraportable purposes with OS X lite or full version on it with touchsensitive screen !! :)

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
I have an idea. It's even better than the Jump to Conclusions Mat.

How about they make an ultraportable with the optical drive an external peripheral, so that you don't have to carry it with you all the time? I'm looking for a sub-3-pound laptop, like the Toshiba Portege I used to have. The 12" PowerBook I now have is 4.6 pounds, and has a similar size display. If it weren't for that pesky optical drive, it'd be thinner and lighter. People who need the optical drive frequently are not in the target market for an ultraportable.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
why do we need cds or dvds anyway? they are an outdated concept. you can easily put the contents of a dvd on a sd card. if software distributors embraced a flash type solution it would eliminate the need for a optical drive all together.

SD Flash cards are too expensive for that kind of use. I bought a 250MB SD card and it was 30 bucks.

if this was microsoft's idea, you would all shun it. But it's apple, which makes it a good idea. Seriously, this is such a bad idea. How is this convenient? Lift up a 5 lbs notebook, scratch back of lcd when turned over, open then close drive, and flip it over again (not to mention open and close screen), VS. push button, insert disk, push button. If you want to argue, fine. I really want to read how this is a great idea.

I think the idea sucks. So your not the only one. But Apple has bee known to apply for patents, then never do anything with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.