Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Anyone know why this is happening?

I am making ads in Illustrator then emailing them to newspapers. Saving as PDF in Illustrator doesn't seem to be easy to open for them so I save as PDF via the print command page.

This seems to work fine except when I then open the PDF very thin but perfectly straight lines appear over the artwork - almost seem like a grid. Is there something under preferences (which I haven't found so far under any of the existing menus) that I need to uncheck?

Thanks for your help

U

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: thin white lines appearing in PDFs seen in Preview...

Originally posted by unregbaron
Anyone know why this is happening?

I am making ads in Illustrator then emailing them to newspapers. Saving as PDF in Illustrator doesn't seem to be easy to open for them so I save as PDF via the print command page.

This seems to work fine except when I then open the PDF very thin but perfectly straight lines appear over the artwork - almost seem like a grid. Is there something under preferences (which I haven't found so far under any of the existing menus) that I need to uncheck?

Thanks for your help

U
First, check the PDF's on a different computer to ensure that the little lines are real.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
It might also depend on your transparency settings. If you have transparency in these pieces of artwork, Illustrator may be creating new images to simulate the transparency in apps (e.g. Preview) that don't understand real transparency data. Where these images line up may be where the white lines are appearing.

InDesign does this to me all the time. Check and see if the lines show up in the newest Acrobat Reader, and mess around with how you've saved the PDFs in Illustrator. If it's what I'm thinking, you can definitely make it go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.