Thinderbird irking me so.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Seedouble, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Seedouble macrumors newbie

May 11, 2005

I've just discovered that I can download my gmail messages using Apple's 'Mail' software. Cool. I enjoy using Firefox, so i thought I'd download Thunderbird and give that a try.

somewhere along the lines I stopped downloading at about 100 of my 300 or so emails (unsing thunderbird) after downloading all of them with Apple Mail. Now I can't download the rest of them. It seems to log what you download, so i tried deleting everything associated with Thunderbird for a clean start. You know, when a program goes haywire, you trash the prefs, restart and go from there.

No my thunderbird inbox is empty, but I cant download all the old messages, only new ones that come in.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated. In the 12 hours i've been using Mail software my life has improved like 1%.

edit: oh yeah, iMac G5 / OSX 10.3.9 / latest thunderbird
  2. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Try going online to Gmail web mail browser and set ALL your emails(I presume they are still on the server) as unread and try downloading again.

I recall I had a similar issue with PC version of Thunderbird it does not like a complex directory structure of email folders.

Thunderbird is not nearly as good a mail program as Firebox is a web browser :eek:
  3. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Make sure you didn't/don't have "Remove copy from server after retrieving message" clicked in Mail Preferences > Accounts > Advanced tab. Or else that may cause some problems