Things are finally looking up for Apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3777, Jan 28, 2003.

1. 3777 macrumors 6502

With 10.2.4, all the new hardware, the coming next generation chips, and recent price drops, I think Apple is finally turning the corner. Should be a good year, & if the economy ever improves it will be a great year.

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i think it will be too, the upgrades were great...however it doesn't seem like many people want to buy a powermac just yet, they all want to wait for the new chip to come out!!!....

you know..i bet when that chip does come out it'll be extremely...extremely expensive...and then these powermacs right now well get sold a lot quicker...if they keep them in the line which they should.

3. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say things are looking up for Apple; I'd say things are looking up for the Apple consumer.

By releasing products at these slated prices, they sure are loosing their profit margin. They might be eating into their cash to support these prices. Let's just hope that people eat up these new products to compensate for the lost profit margin. It could be hard with this market -- in due time I guess.

In any event, these prices are quite amazing, and I hope they spark a nice little consumer buying trend...

Chad4Mac

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Chad I would say thats part of Apple's strategy. They may be making only tme same - or maybe even less- profit than they were before. But Apple's goal right now seems to be to increase its market share. Down with Windows!

5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I think this is the final G4 PowerMac speedbump we will see, and I guess Apple is just trying to clear as much inventory as possible before the new Power 4's arrival. I also think the price drop will attract pro users contemplating a PowerMac purchase for the first time.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Power 4 is so passé, it's the 970 anyway two different chips, the Power 4 is the pricey server chip. The 970 is the mac users' version. :D

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The 970 is a Power4 chip.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

But the names aren't interchangeable.

"The new chip, called the IBM PowerPC 970, is derived from IBM's award-winning POWER4 server processor to provide high performance and additional function for users."

From an IBM press release.

9. ELYXR macrumors regular

doesn't look so good...

Overall, Apple's combined consumer and professional market share is declining, according to market researcher IDC. Apple's share of the worldwide PC market dropped to 2 percent during the fourth quarter from 2.3 percent the previous quarter. In the United States, Apple's share declined to 3.1 percent from 3.8 percent.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-982370.html?tag=fd_top

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Re: doesn't look so good...

I would be a bit leary of using market share to estimate how well Apple is doing. First, "market share" indicates there is a pool of buyers. If the pool is increasing (i.e. first time buyers, new companies, etc.), market share will go down. Mac sales might still be going up, only in this case sales to new customers is lagging behind in increase in new computer buyers. Second, these stats ingore two important segments: Non computer sales (iPod) and sales to previous customers (Keynote, iLife, etc.).

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: doesn't look so good...

I have a problem with those numbers...

It is true that sales of new units declined from 3.8% to 3.1% as compared to PC sales, but the installed user base is much higher. People keep their macs longer than anyone would imagine. From my experience, there are 5 year old or older macs still chugging along in most press/printshops because they do what they do - well. My primary machine is over 3 years old, and I doubt that it would be counted in this market share, but it's still quite capable.

I love what Apple is doing so much that I am SERIOUSLY thinking about a 20" display with a 1.25Ghz PM. And I just paid off my credit cards... :rolleyes:

I would wait for a 970, but i need (want) a new mac now, and for $1999 I can buy a machine that cost $3200 just yesterday.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, apple is doing good. They are really working on what
    needs to be worked on... prices. I think I will be able to afford the
    top of the line 970 powermac when it comes out if they keep this
    up ;). :D

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I have to agree that things for Apple consumers are getting better. For one thing, prices are getting better. Hopefully, the iPod will see the next price drop. When is the 970 going to come out? September? October?

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Well, I'm planning on buying a new Mac spring/summer of 2004, right before I leave for college.

We'll see what Apple has to offer then.

But these most recent updates are exactly what Apple needs to do: compete on price. $1299 for a 20.1 inch LCD? Amazing.

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Tomorrow. :D

P-Worm

16. 3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really like the Formac monitors. I imagine they will have to make major cuts in their prices now too.

17. Choppaface macrumors 65816

18. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I hope the 970 will dramatically improve the performance of the Mac. OS X is nice and stable but overall performance is still too sluggish compared to a PC. I use a TiBook at home and a dumpy Compaq at work so I can see the performance chasm very clearly. The current G4 and G3 are transitional technologies, so to speak, that bridges the OS 9 and OS X platforms, so performance will naturally leave something to be desired. However, I worry whether the 970 will be the "magic bullet" that will make OS X perform dramatically faster. I am fully aware of the megahertz myth, but let's face it: A 3 Ghz Pentium is going to crush a 1.4 Ghz G4 in almost anything. My friend's 2.0 Ghz Athlon PC is blazing fast, and, no, it's not the crash-happy jalopy most Macusers think they are.

If the 970 could improve performance dramatically, I think things will indeed be looking up for Apple.

19. cubist macrumors 68020

Makes sense. These machines would be the end of the G4 line, and July or August would be about 6 months. The price chops are amazing, especially on the displays. The fact that all the PMs are 1GHz+, and lots cheaper, indicates that Apple wants to keep its core market. These are not switcher machines; they are market-keeping machines.

The iMac/eMac shoe hasn't dropped yet. Those are the switcher machines.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

apple inc is a business first, computer maker second so things will really look up when the stock value goes up...it's the financial reality of the bottom line many macheads hate to bring up

as far as hardware, i think from the first time i touched my dad's apple IIe in high school in the 70s until now, apple inc has always made better gear than its competitors

some years, apple's gear is a little better and some years, it just kicks butt

1998 and 1999 were definitely years when the macs were just so superior to pcs

now that windows xp is out and there is better IT industry support for it and bad makers/models like packard bell and the early e-machines are gone, the gap is not as big

what apple needs the most is cheaper prices and more speed...i am looking forward to the 970 chip from ibm...if it happens

until then, i will be very happy when motorola gives us a 2 ghz chip...much beyond 2 ghz/3 ghz in speed then i don't think it will be such an issue...could you imagine someone saying, "my 8.1 ghz pc is much faster than your 6 ghz mac - so therefore, it's way, way better":p

21. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

I personally think this year is going to make or break apple (like some previous years). If they dont get the G5 out that has at least a 60% clock speed compared to the p4, we're done. If they do get it out, however, we could be gold. They do have a quazi deadline though, third quarter this year, fourth at the latest.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

apple won't really be broken more than it is used to (financially)...outside of 98-99, apple inc has been doing crappy since the 80s...apple knows how to operate as a broken company since they have most of the time since their inception

what would be great is a large, yes large...is it ok to wish...and successful company being powerful like dell or microsoft...not just short bursts of success like the apple II era, early macintosh era, and the last 2 full years of dot.com in 98 and 99

it is possible to be big and good like oracle and sony

23. 3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

If the economy weren't so bad I'd say Apple could be heading back to where it was a few years ago.....(1999)

24. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

100% in agreement here. The megahertz myth isn't a myth when the performance chasm is so wide. Intel and AMD (with their vast R&D budgets) will only speed up their chips faster and faster. Microsoft Windows, for all its shortcomings, is only going to get better. Yes, with $40 billion in the bank and "Longhorn" in the works, Microsoft can only make their Windows platform better.

So Apple must give its faithful and prospective customers hope that the Mac's performance won't seriously lag behind the Wintel duopoly. Apple really should have done this a year or two ago, but assuming previous rumors concerning the G5 were true, Motorola really let them down big time so it isn't really of all Apple's fault.

In any case, Apple can't afford to lag behind the performance race any longer. Companies will continue writing software with more features that will tax the CPU's resources. They will most likely write for the Windows platform first, then port it to the Mac. If the performance of the Mac version of the software can't match the performance of the Windows version, customers will whine and developers will no doubt grow frustrated.

Ok, ok, I have faith that good ole' Steve will come through, but like the previous post said, time is running out.

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I hope your right, but I am sort of afraid that when the latest and greatest finally shows it's face Apple will figure that people want the new computer so bad that they will raise the price, because even if they raised the price a few hundred dollars they know that people would fork over anything to get that all new PowerMac. Actually if you are in the market for a new PowerMac I think these are some of the better prices you will ever see.