Things aren't so rosy at IBM either

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dongmin, Aug 13, 2002.

1. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

IBM is cutting 1,400 jobs in its microelectronics division, along with 13,000 or so more in their services division.

The microelectronics division is responsible for the PowerPC development, I believe.

Edit: sorry, I forgot the link. Here's the AP story.

2. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

its true. I have several friends who work at IBM and they are completly butchering the company. IBM was founded in Endicott, NY and over the past month they have sold off / outsourced the microelectronics division and there is absolutly NOTHING left in endicott.

IBM built the city in the 1930 - 1970's and they have completely pulled out and left half the city unemployed. The rest are on their way there. I grew up in the area and it is disgusting to see what happened.

http://wire.ap.org/?FRONTID=TECHNOLOGY&SLUG=IBM-LAYOFFS

ahh. corporate america.

4. Bradcoe macrumors regular

duh

Ever heard of Kingston, NY? It's not too far from Fishkill, NY and about 15minutes from me (I plan on working at the new East Fishkill plan in the not to distant future). IBM was responsible for building Kingston up and then tearing it down (not literally). It's amazing how one company can do so much. I guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, we do not have such problems like that here in Venezuela. There are no almost any companies left, and there are not specific towns in that situation becuase the entire country is falling down.

But is interesting the teaste of progress. We do not know what that really is in the practice.

6. spuncan macrumors 6502

lol mymemmory sorry to hear ur countries falling apart :rolleyes:
    As 4 IBM all of the tech industry and the entire econ. continues to fight and suffer It seems everytime it gets better it makes a bigger plunge. I hope it gets better for good soon. I.E. everyone buy lots of stuff. :D