Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbcaro

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
mklos said:
This is because XP doesn't resize the window on the fly like OS X does. It just draws a temporary box that shows how large/small the window will be if you release the mouse.

Actually, windows does resize the window on the fly. I am doing it right now as I type this. I can resize the window on the fly from any of the four sides which constrains it to just that direction or use the resizer in the bottom right corner which resizes it in two directions on the fly. All the contents of my browser window automatically repositions on the fly as I resize it.

For those with slow processors, the mode can be changed in System Properties-Advanced-Performance Settings-Visual Effects and uncheck 'Show window contents while dragging'. This will just allow the sizing box and the window moving box to be visible.

jbcaro

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Photoshop Full Screen

Lebowski said:
try hitting F in photoshop....it cycles through 3 views.

standard screen, full screen with menu bar, and fullscreen with no menu bar over black.....

ACTUALLY, on the 3rd cycle where it show no menu, to get menu on it, just hold down SHIFT+F :)

I'm so good! :D

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
louiek said:
That can be more annoying than you think. I once had some Excel menu pallettes open on my external monitor at work so they wouldn't clutter my workspace. When I took my powerbook home those pallettes were still on the external monitor. I had to dig an old monitor out of my shed so I could get to them and move them back onto my powerbook's screen.

Now this may be more Excel than osX, but really, it should have known.

Oh it is pure OS lv and can be blamed fully on OSX. In windows I hook my laptop up to a 2nd monitor span the desktop and then I disconnect the 2nd monitor (or in display pref I turn it off). All windows in monitor 2 move over to laptop monitor. And the entire window no just part of it. if the monitor is on the left then the leftside of the window will be on the edge of the main monitor.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Something like Paint I would like to see and I would like to see some more games to. My sister loves playing Solitaire and she was disappointed to stop by today and not be able to play her favourite game.

I would also like it if was easier to click on a picture and get a full size view preview.

I would also love it if MSN messenger would work with the I-Sight camera.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Timepass said:
Oh it is pure OS lv and can be blamed fully on OSX. In windows I hook my laptop up to a 2nd monitor span the desktop and then I disconnect the 2nd monitor (or in display pref I turn it off). All windows in monitor 2 move over to laptop monitor. .

Hah! My PC at work doesn't act like this with Excel. :mad: If I lock it while something is spanned over my two screens, Excel opens back up just on one screen. But some of the documents which were on the other screen aren't there. They're in the taskbar but you have to span the window again in order to get back to them.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
I know some of these features can be added to OS X via third party apps but they really should be built in IMO...

# Right Click > New File
# Cut & Paste files
# Show Desktop (and no, expose is not the same)
# Taskbar (It is impossible to switch to the window you want in OS X in one action. More than often it requires at least 2 actions. ie, 'expose > click' .....'click dock > find your window'...)
# Explorer has 6 'arrange by' options, column view has ZERO
# Intergration of Internet explorer into explorer, you can go straight from a folder to a web page in the same window.
# An address bar, copying folder and file paths
# Mouse Drivers suck in OS X
# Application launch by hot keys
# Specifying file type icons
# A proper maximize

My biggest problem with OS X is the finder, it's like a program designed for 10 year old with so many bugs it's impossible to count.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
jbcaro said:
Actually, windows does resize the window on the fly. I am doing it right now as I type this. I can resize the window on the fly from any of the four sides which constrains it to just that direction or use the resizer in the bottom right corner which resizes it in two directions on the fly. All the contents of my browser window automatically repositions on the fly as I resize it.

For those with slow processors, the mode can be changed in System Properties-Advanced-Performance Settings-Visual Effects and uncheck 'Show window contents while dragging'. This will just allow the sizing box and the window moving box to be visible.

jbcaro

There's an interesting article on how OS X and Window differ when it comes to resizing windows and scrolling, with animations here

http://www.xvsxp.com/interface/ui_feedback.php

Attachments

• resize.gif
    resize.gif
    39.2 KB · Views: 112
  • scroll.gif
    scroll.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 243

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
princealfie said:
I want SAS and SPSS for the Mac. I use those at work all the time. Plus I would like more computer games like Halo 2 or something else! And Silent Hill 4 too!

You can have SPSS for mac, but SAS is the better program and alas, no further mac support. I currently access SAS through Terminal and X11 on my mac, but that's only because I can log into my university's server which is running SAS.

These programs, however, have nothing to do with how windows can improve OSX. Though integrating Halo into the operating system (maybe as a widget) would be interesting.

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
If possible i would like SSH client like secureCRT :p save my ssh server's info instead of me typing it everytime :p

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The Finder is the number one thing that needs to be updated. Explorer makes it look pathetic (except for Super-Drag-N-Drop where the Finder kills Explorer).

I would like to see a maximize window option but not as another button. Something as simple as holding down shift while clicking on the zoom button to turn it into the max button would do.

Apple needs to kill their terrible mouse acceleration. Give it up Apple, it sucks.

Support for Cmd+right or left to go to the end or beginning, respectively, in the stickies widget. Annoys the crap out of me and I use them a lot on my PB.

Integrating a web browser into the file manager is a terrible idea which Microsoft should abandon and Apple should never do.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Show some unix love!

ethen said:
If possible i would like SSH client like secureCRT :p save my ssh server's info instead of me typing it everytime :p

Just edit your ~/.ssh/config file and enter your host settings, you can even create shortcuts

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh_config

ex:
Code:
Host work
HostName ssh.intertron.com
Port 443
LocalForward 8043:dev.lan.intertron.com:1043
LocalForward 8044:exchange.lan.intertron.com:443
HostNameKeyAlias www.intertron.com

And then to connect to your server with all your customized settings:
Code:
ssh work
My opinion is that OSX does not need many things from the Windows world, the Finder does.

For the rest of the OS, it's all already there, it's just that most unix tools are still considered as An ugly kludge by most Mac users, and that's a pitty because they are part of the whole experience.

Try using the command line tools bundled with windows, you'll see what I mean :)

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
jdechko said:
@ Timepass: tying the browser to the core of the os is why windows has so many security flaws. Holes in IE are exploited and allow the core of the os to be compromised. That's why its a good thing that MacOS X doesn't do it./QUOTE]
That's not completely accurate. I man, it's true with Windows, but it could be done in such a way that typing a URL into finder would just open Safari, rather than open the page within Finder. not something I really want anyay, but thought I'd point out that it could be donw without comprimising security.

One thing I really want to see is a thing like Alt+Tab under Windows. Under Windows, Alt+Tab switches between windows. Under a Mac it switches between apps. I know we have Expose, but that's too long winded. If you have 30 windows open in only 2 or 3 programs, Alt+Tab on a mac is pretty useless. i wouldn't like to lose that option though (perhaps just have a different key combination for each).

Edit: I seem to have forgotten to finish typing...

I also wanted to say I'd like to see better support for photos within Finder. I use iPhoto for everything, but my dad uses Windows for most things (not switched to mac properly yet) but does use my mac sometimes (only because it's a high powered system and his PC is aging) and so for him to organize everything in iPhoto would be pointless - it means nothing when loaded on a PC.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Max on Macs said:
One thing I really want to see is a thing like Alt+Tab under Windows. Under Windows, Alt+Tab switches between windows. Under a Mac it switches between apps. I know we have Expose, but that's too long winded. If you have 30 windows open in only 2 or 3 programs, Alt+Tab on a mac is pretty useless. i wouldn't like to lose that option though (perhaps just have a different key combination for each).

Alt + tab switches between programs
Alt + ` switches between windows within the current program

EDIT: D'oh, beaten to the punch.
EDIT2: D'oh, d'oh, and I was wrong :)

ebow

macrumors 6502a
discoforce said:
Alt + tab switches between programs
Alt + ` switches between windows within the current program

EDIT: D'oh, beaten to the punch.
EDIT2: D'oh, d'oh, and I was wrong :)

Yep, and it will likely stay exactly that way (well, Cmd instead of Alt as you belatedly realized), at least as far as what Apple provides. I believe that someone already pointed out a third-party app (or two) that provides combined functionality.

I understand where people who make the request (of being able to quick-tab through all windows across all apps) are coming from, but it's just not the way Apple has set things up. Applications are very different from windows. That's why most apps can be open with no windows. What would you key-tab to in that case? In windows, many apps are one-and-the-same as their windows, so switching to the window is switching to the app.

Sorry for getting philosophical, and I don't mean to be an Apple apologist. I'm just trying to explain for the oh so many people who list it why we're not likely to see this from Apple. Of course, that doesn't make it any less valid as someone's personal "would like". Though it does make me wonder if people who list it realize that it's been listed several times in this thread already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.