Things I couldn't get over !

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pedro., Jan 23, 2006.

1. Pedro. macrumors newbie

I just switched to mac's this year i love it so much that i can't get my hands off my powerbook.

Anyway there are some things that absolutely annoys me and i couldn't find any answers for them. Here they are :-

1 - Maximising the window is easy to get used to becuase it shows the right size needed without any white excess. However when i open a pdf file with Preview (i deal with a lot of pdf's everyday) and zoom in then click the maximise button it chooses a stupid scale that has nothing to do with the actual display size of the pdf. I hate everytime going to the corner and doing it manually :mad:

2 - I have a wireless network with other PC's in my apartment. I like to play movies from those PC's but they pause a lot during the movie, it's so annoying! i know that powerbook airport is crappy but here is the weird thing... the signal is always full plus the pause occurance differ with the player ( in RealPlayer it is very rare).

3 - Mac browsers are still in development cuz they suck when it comes to websites that use java applets. I know that some websites are designed to work only with IE, but i still can't figure out why can't Mac browsers operate as IE operates in those websites. Not to mension that many videos don't work (e.g.yahoo news videos).

I would really appreciate it if someone could find a solution to one of my problems...

Thnx...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

3) I think that things will improve as Internet Exploder loses its grip on the web. I know how painful it is but within reason, it's not up to the browser developers to fix poor website coding.

1) Preview does too much and doesn't do anything well. You should probably download Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 7 to see if it handles things better.

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

For news videos have you enabled Javascript under Security in Safari preferences and sometimes you'll have to stop blocking pop-up windows, too.

4. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

5. Pedro. thread starter macrumors newbie

For pdf viewing i use Preview and Adobe Reader so the problem is still there.

As for web browsers i have safari 2, IE 5, firefox, camino and shiira and i tried changing their preferences but no luck.

And for video players i have qt, Real, vlc and mplayer (with all divx codecs). The best is RealPlayer since it reduces pauses a lot, but they still exist :( . And i hate copying the whole movie to my laptop cuz it takes forever.

Please help !

6. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

What? Lets see there is IEv5.x, Netscape v7.x or v8, Firefox 1.5, Camino 1, Mozilla, Safari, and Opera to name a few browsers in 'development'. Dude before you bash the Mac, use your internet connection and get some browsers. You sound like a diehard IE user, that said what is your opinion of a Mac? I hope you find it more stable, easier to use and you are no longer enslaved to Bill Gates and Co..

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The Yahoo! Video thing is Yahoo's fault. They state on their page it only works with Windows. This is nothing to do with Mac Browsers being "Still in Development", it has everything do with with a decision at Yahoo to only support Windows.

Google video for example works fine on Mac and I have no problem watching news reports from the BBC website either.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That would require them to use IE's rendering engine, which really isn't a good idea... Also, many websites use WMV for video (ugh). Thankfully, Flip4Mac is free now.

9. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i think what he is "griping" about is the fact that a browser like camino which has many great features doesnt handle java script very well. i cant even use it on my own business website do to that fact. right now there are some things that macs just dont do as well as windows, why? because as was stated above, almost everything on the net was basically developed with windows in mind. i HATE when i am forced to use IE to watch yahoo or msn videos or to use some banking sites...

10. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Well, you can always protest!! I sent a message to my bank which requires IE for some extra services on its online banking thing. I did not get a reply, but they lost a subscriber to their extra services and I got it off my chest!

Btw: I have Firefox, which is a great browser, but I've realised that I use saari for almost anything these days.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

JavaScript is normally written (in my experience) so that it's browser-aware and takes the various dialects into consideration to properly execute the code. However, I've noticed a lot of sites which simply give one possibility and, if it doesn't run correctly, you're out of luck.

Was your business website created for Internet Exploder, rather than standards?

12. Crikey macrumors 6502

Oh, man, I can't let that one go by. Preview is one of those things that make MacOS X so cool. It rocks! It's fast, and it works just the way I want it to work without me having to configure anything. Adobe Reader is just a sick piggy by comparison. I don't even download it.

So I guess there is a variety of opinions on the worth of Preview.

Crikey

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad that Preview works well for you. It's better since Tiger. Preview has existed a lot longer than Mac OS X has and it's still not right for many people. Of course, it's a bit like many NeXTStep applications. The OmniGroup develops an amazing group of applications and so does Stone but they are all a bit unusual to use.

14. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

i can so agree on the maximise button is is horrible at its job, im sure it works on massive screens but on my 12" ibook its horrible but you just learn to deal with it, i mean a windows user has to deal with alot more u got to remeber :p

PS. does IE work in darwine (not darwin but darWINE)

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

One thing to remember is that the button doesn't actually "maximize" per se, think of it as the "optimize" button. Although, it's not always very smart at that either.

16. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

It was said before earlier in the thread, but this is really an IE dominance issue. I've made so many sites that look great on every browser except for IE, then I have to go back, break it for other browsers just so it works for corporate clients or organizations that run solely on IE. I code to standards and standards don't play nice on IE, so what's a guy to do.

FYI, all browsers are still in development, in fact all software is. Mac browsers, and all browsers, are trying to keep up and/or correct the weirdness that IE-coding-only does to the net.

Try VersionTracker for plugins and codecs to get over the hump on sites that only want to play with IE.

17. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Preview's native support for viewing PSD and EPS files just blows me away. Not only is it fast, but itt actually exists! I send files to clients that don't have PS or Ill and they can open it! I know, I'm a dork, but that's just so cool.. Plus, you can change formats and tweak things right from preview, and it's non-destructive - it's just a mask! WooHoo!

-Geek out :)

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Seems to work well for me. Try going into Preview's preferences and under "Images" deselect "Respect image DPI for "Actual Size"".

19. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Preview stopped working when I updated to .4. is it worth a re-install & archive?

20. Pedro. thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and it helped a little ... thanks for the tip.

21. motherduce macrumors 6502

Opera is a good browser for viewing IE sites. It has a preference to set as to what browser you want it to mimic.

I set mine to IE, and it helps on some (not all) sites that are built for IE.

In my opinion, any site built only for IE is not worth visiting anyways!

As for the maximizing and video issues....maximizing is an art on a Mac. I pre-set some of my programs to an optimal size for what I want. Others I will use the maximize button. I'm still getting used to the different way the Mac interface handles itself. I love it for the most part, and the parts I'm getting used to are not that big a deal, and it still kicks Windows' a$$ :D

22. Pedro. thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess concerning my problem with Mac web browsers all I can do is wait till website coders realise that not everyone uses IE :(

Does anyone suffer from my 2nd problem ? I wish someone could find me a solution for it cuz the way Mac OS X handles networking IMH has lots of disadvantages. Why do i have to mount EVERY main folder on the computer i wanna connect to ?

Also if i forgot to unmount a disk on my network and i put my powerbook to sleep ... Finder will freeze when i turn the laptop on :mad: .

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Tiger and i think that MS Windows is not even comparable to it ... yet, i want Tiger to be better.

Any thoughts ?

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You mean IE6? I doubt it. Does anything work in darWINE?

24. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Are you sure your wireless network is strong enough? I can stream original ripped DVDs with no compression from one computer to the other, albeit they're two rooms apart. I use DVD Player with this, but I know that VLC Player also works fine (as in no pauses) with other files.

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

Cann't you create an Automator "workflow" to open and resize Preview and then assign that workflow to be the application that gets opened for PDFs? I don't really have a problem with preview so I've not tried

Also there are about 3 or 4 PDF viewers that run under X11 these are more customizable but a bit of work to set up. I use a couple of these on my Sun Solaris system they work buthten I have a large screen